Powerburn Question

Hello,

I'm powerburning my two candle sizes, which are at about 5 hours. The only testing I've done with these are the 3-4 hour burns. Usually the first one created the mushroom effect, then does great after that first burn. I'm curious what others have experienced with the powerburn. See attached for the 5 hour mark.

image2.JPG

image1.JPG

If it's a soy wax you might want to just try 1 size down.  The melt pool after 5 hours is not that crazy on the clear jar for soy wax, the amber jar seems

to be a bit deeper.  It could be an illusion as the candle line is crisper on the amber jar.  Feeling how hot the jar gets is another way to tell if you need

to wick down 1 or 2 sizes for your next test burn.  Hopefully you didn't secure the wick and can just pull it out and try a smaller size in this same candle.

1 hour ago, Chefmom said:

Personally that is a deep melt pool, I would test those with one or even two sizes down wicks and see what that looks like.

I love the amber colored jar tho!! :D

As it gets further into the jar the MP will only get hotter. I agree with chefmom that a couple of sizes might be a good step!

I had posted yesterday about jar temperature. I think this wick (the cd) might be the problem too. I am trying the HTP now, hopefully will work! I'm glad I made a couple other options to test. Also, I never thought about not securing the wick!!!! Good tip! Thank you so much for your replies—it's much appreciated!

Guest OldGlory

The ideal test of any container candle means that you burn it the whole way thru in increments. The burn of the second half can make you decide where to begin with the next wick test.

• 3 weeks later...

both wicks look to big in my opinion. I get great scent throw in my container candles and i never have near that melt pool size after 5 hours.

What type of wax is it?  If its straight parrafin, I'd worry a little less about it and just wick down a size. If that is soy or a parasoy, it should be burning much slower than that and I would come down at least 2 sizes if not 3 or 4 and see what happens. Also depends on what type of wick you are using. If I read correctly that its CD, Id come down 3 sizes and see how it works. Hope that helps.

I ended up switching to the HTP after this last post, they burn much better in soy than the CD did. I'm in my final test and think I may have nailed it. Thanks for your input!

i have to admit, thats a bit shocking to me. I haven't heard of many people having better success with HTPs than CD when it comes to soy. Parrafin, yes. Soy... not so much.

One issue i always had with the HTP (as well as other wicks) was the discoloration to top of the wax it caused.