Getting Licensed to sell and file taxes

Helix

Hi everyone i have a question about selling candles at flea markets and craft shows. How and where do i get a license to sell candles? I also read i would have to have a sales tax license present while i am selling at shows. If you guys out there could give me any insight into how i get these proper papers that would be so helpful. Thankyou.

Contact your State Department of Revenue for a Sales Tax Permit.  Generally your State's Revenue Dept. has a link on its website to guide you to the proper form to submit as well as contact information to talk directly to someone.

Goldie

What Goldie said.

Every area is different my state just requires a sales tax license but my little town requires a business license also. The town next to me only requires the state sales tax license. Shows and events where you sell will also have info if you need more in certain areas. Here if you only sell at shows or events you do not need a regular sales tax license you need a special event sales tax license but if you sell outside the events and show you have to have a regular sales tax license also.

You really need to contact the state, county and town you live in to know what is required for you.

Definitely need to check with not only your city but the cities where venues are that you plan to sell at.  We had one in So Cal that had it's own set of rules/licensing in addition to the city I lived in and because it was a different city I needed 2 city licenses.  Where I live now, I'm county and they only require the county business license and fictitious

business name to operate.   Of course CA is probably the worst state to try to sell in so yours may be easy peasy!

I live in a town in a county. So I had to check with both re license. I only needed a town license. But I also had to file a fictitious name and get a zoning permit.  I applied for my sales tax permit through my state dept of taxation.

When I pay my quarterly sales tax I have to report what counties I have sales in so the sales tax revenue gets paid out to each county according to my sales.

What really helped me in the beginning was using the Small Business Administration website. It can help you get set up, decide what entity you want, even apply for small business loans, create a business plan, and lots of stuff. If you check out your local affiliate member and contact them they may have free or moderately priced business classes. I attended several to help me out and they were very cheap and held on site or at a local community college.

Edited by Candybee