How to promote your business?

Ross24

Hey! My wife makes good candles and its been long that I've been asking her to make it her profession. Anyhow we have finally started the candle business and now I'm thinking of how I could promote it. However, we do not have a proper store for now. Just making candles from home. We also have the option for home delivering the candles ordered for. Initially I'm thinking of trying direct mail marketing for it. Won't that be enough for now? Its quite cost friendly and since we don't yet have a proper store, I feel there is no use of doing big advertisements. What do you guys say? Are there any other methods we could chose to initially promote, cause I just can think of direct mails.

• Like 1

I am having my candles sold in an "antiques" mall. I pay for a booth ($60 per month) and give the shop a 10% commission on my sales at the end of the month.  The biggest thing with that is makeing sure that the shop has enoughfoot traffic. Tonight they are having an event with 200 people signed up to be there! ? they take care of processing all of the sales so I don't need to be there to man it like I would at a farmers market or craft fair. 

Craft Fairs and farmers markets might be a good way to get your feet wet.my personal opinion is that word of mouth would probably be more beneficial than fliers. 

Also social media can be really good, that maybe one use for your direct mail. Informing people of your company and its social media accounts, getting them to like/follow for some kind of promotion.

I feel like for me I need my candles to get in peoples hands so that they can pick them up and smell them, I know that feeling and smelling them is a huge factor for me to buy candles I rarely make blind purchases for candles.

Edited by Siren12
  • Like 1

Well, that a nice thing. To get a small store in a mall. But we have plans to start our own store soon, only that we don't have the right finance for it now. And that's why, I was searching for a cheaper mode of advertisement. However, I had made up my mind, to go with direct mail marketing and a friend suggested me to do it from Troi Mail Services, here in Toronto. I did a bit of a search in their site and found that they have flyers and postcard services too. http://www.troimail.com/services/flyer-postcard-and-newsletter-distribution/ Now I'm confused whether to go with direct mailing or postcards. What do you guys say? Anyways, this is just for the beginning  and then later, probably after a year, when the store is ready, we could go for a better advertisement option.

• Like 1

Personally , i feel that direct mailing / postcards etc are not effective imho . most people, including myself don't even look at mailers - they go straight 

in the trash. may i ask what it is that you sell, is it just candles ? i think it would be more advantageous to do social medial such as instagram - i know 

several people that have an all natural /organic bath n body line + the amount of sales reached in a short time is commendable. their target audience is

typically under the age of 38 + that age group follows instagram - FB etc not snail mail. i apologize if i came off negative but I'm just giving my opinion :) 

• Like 1

I agree re the direct mail and post cards. I did it once and it was a waste of my time and money. I will never do it again.

I actually make good money selling direct to customers at farmer's markets and craft shows. Its hard work but so it running a store. But I have built up a good customer base over the years all over the Shenandoah Valley I live in. I can be in one town at a craft fair and have several people come up to me and tell me about buying my product somewhere else. The other great thing about markets and shows is all the shop owners I meet who end up as wholesale customers that sell my products in their stores.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Hi. I am on mobile and will reply in short, if anyone is interested i can write whole day on this. Comment if you want detailed guide.

For the OP:

if you want to sell on the internet and you do not have wish to learn web dev the best option for you is creation of store on shopify. It is well functional store starting for 30 dollars per month. Even pro marketers are uaing this platform. Easy to manage all the back end process.

For the promotion I would go with FB and Instagram campaigns. Here you need to expect that 5 - 10 dollars per day it is necessary to spend on ads. But since you can target very very narrow, you can expect lots of sales as well.

Who is interested in detailed promo tips should comment below and i will do a detailed guide for you. Write also how basic/advanced i should go.

Best

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...