Pouring Wax into the Votive.

Okay So, let me start off with how I'm mixing the fragrance first . ///

Step one : Heat wax to 185 degrees in wax melter machine.

Step two : Pour wax into 16 oz glass measuring cup

Step three : mix in 1 oz fragrance and dye until wax is clear and colored

Step four : pour mixed wax into votive while still clear.

Step five : let dry

So that's how I've been doing it so far, but it looks like the wax is sticking to the edges inside, Am i supposed to pour directly over the wick, or from the side of the glass. 

Please share your pouring tips here 

thanks.

Not enough information. I use votive molds with wick pins. You must be pouring directly into a glass votive holder? Did you stick your wick to the bottom of the glass? and then pull your wick tight with a holder? and then pour your wax away from the wick not on it. Do you intend to take the wax out and sell the votive alone or sell the whole thing? There are plenty of threads to read in the archives on making votives. My best advice would be to pull up a Youtube video to at least get an idea of how this is done.

I think he is pouring a 3 ounce votive glass like a container candle.  It sounds about right, except I would not use a glass pouring container.  If you have to do that to many little candles then you will see wrist and elbow/shoulder fatigue quickly from the weight of the glass.  I would use an aluminum or stainless pouring pot.

Are you weighing your 16 ounces of wax?  Or just filling it to the 16 volume ounces on the glass measure cup.  16 fluid ounces and 16 weight ounces are very different, especially with hot wax. Wax expands in volume when it is heated, so weights are usually the norm for mixing color and fragrance.

When you say that the wax is sticking to the sides...are you wanting the wax to stay in the glass like a container candle or are you wanting to use the glass like a mold and pop the candle out of it?  Votives are usually poured into a mold and popped out and sold outside of the glass.  Then the customer puts them into a small tight fitting votive glass to burn them.  They look like a little pillar but are softer wax and when burned are more like a container candle. 

• Like 1

Sorry I meant I'm pouring it into a little 3 oz glass container, and I'm measuring it with the glass measuring cup to get my 16 oz , I did tho purchase a digital scale, I could start tearing the scale with the glass measuring cup on it and weigh out the wax , why can't I use the 16 ozs on the measuring cup though? Would it make a big difference ?

41 minutes ago, Rami said:

Sorry I meant I'm pouring it into a little 3 oz glass container, and I'm measuring it with the glass measuring cup to get my 16 oz , I did tho purchase a digital scale, I could start tearing the scale with the glass measuring cup on it and weigh out the wax , why can't I use the 16 ozs on the measuring cup though? Would it make a big difference ?

Everything in candle making (and soap making) is by weight. When you pour 16 fluid ounces into your measuring cup, that is a volume measure, it is not equivalent to 16 ounces of weight. 

1 hour ago, Rami said:

The specific gravity of wax and water are very different.  The only liquids which are equal in fluid and weight ounces are water, milk and eggs.  Maybe someday America will catch up and use milliliters and grams universally instead of the confusing fluid ounce and weight ounce, but if you tare your scale with your measure cup and fill 16 fluid ounces of hot wax and then weigh that...you will see there is a big difference between the two.  If you want to make a consistent product that is repeatable, you will need to be exact in your measurements. 

Sounds to me like when you say sticking to the sides that like paraffin, don't know what kind of wax you are using, but for paraffin in will "sink" in middle as it cools and you need to save enough wax to do a repour "top" off the votive after it has cooled.