Omg--the Perfect Color Red!!!

Hey Sharon in KY - about the KY dye chips, I put the whole back of chips into a snack-sized ziplock bag and roll over it with my rolling pin until the pieces are fairly small. Then they are easier to measure more accurately and get a consistent color from batch to batch.

Susan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharon if you follow the directions with the Pryme dyes you will get great colors without compromising your burn with too much dye like other liquids. It's a totally different dye system than normal liquids and if you don't weigh it out, you probably won't get the results you're looking for. I measure everything in grams now and my scale has both grams and oz., so I don't have a problem. Put them on the classifieds if you don't like them, I'm sure they will get snapped up!! :cool2:

Sharon if you follow the directions with the Pryme dyes you will get great colors without compromising your burn with too much dye like other liquids. It's a totally different dye system than normal liquids and if you don't weigh it out, you probably won't get the results you're looking for. I measure everything in grams now and my scale has both grams and oz., so I don't have a problem. Put them on the classifieds if you don't like them, I'm sure they will get snapped up!!

I don't know if I will like them yet but I will sell if I don't. What I'm saying is I thought the Pryme was super concentrated. So 1 drop/gram from them should be much stronger/darker than 1 drop/gram from any other company. Am I the only one that reads it this way?

Are you saying that you pour the color into your wax instead of using the dropper squirt top? Therefore can't count the drops it takes to weigh a gram or what ever amount you use???

As for directions for amounts, nothing came with my color and nothing is on the bottles. So how much weight wise would you use to get a true black in one lb. of wax?

Or are you saying with these colors that they are no stronger/darker, just do not require a different wick if used in large quanities to make a dark colored candle? Since I don't usually make really dark colored candles I haven't had that problem.

Daph has the directions on the pryme site and she's been great answering my questions. Here's how I do it....there are 454 grams of wax in a lb. If you are using the pryme dye at say 1% for straight soy you would use 6 grams of dye and 448 grams of wax. This would be for unscented candles. If you add say 6% FO that would be 27.24 grams (or 27 rounded off). Then your formula would be 421 grams wax, 27 grams FO and 6 grams dye.

I guess you could count the drops that added up to the 6 grams if it's easier for you. But for me to weigh out everything is much easier because I weigh everything for my bath & body stuff already. The pryme colors are a whole different way to color, not more concentrated or less concentrated, they are just totally different IMHO. I guess you could do it by eyeballing things, but that's not the correct way for a consistent color batch after batch. If you aren't gonna weigh everything out for your batches, these just may not be the dyes you're looking for.

As far as scales.......mine has either grams or oz, there is a little thing on the back that I switch. Since I use grams for some of my bath and body recipes because it is more precise than ounces, that's the type of scale I bought. If your scale just measure in ounces or lbs., this may not work.

I'm probably making this as clear as mud, sometimes I'm better at doing something than trying to explain it. Anyone else that uses the pryme dyes, feel free to jump in!!

The website is very informative and it's essential to understand it before buying the product. Pryme is geared towards people who already use percentage formulas and weigh their ingredients, or are willing to convert to doing that. It fits perfectly into my existing system, but for some it would be an adjustment.

Pryme dyes are far less concentrated than regular liquid dyes. The advantage is that you can weigh them as part of a percentage candle formula. It gives you consistency with batches of any size, down to an individual test candle. There are also three different strengths so that you can get all color shades from very light to very dark and still be able to calculate the dye additions as percentages by weight. Finally, they're soy based so you don't have to add liquid dye solvent to your wax.

I believe Barnloft has a spreadsheet to help you with the percentage formulations if you need it. You also need a good scale. You can get by weighing in whole grams for larger batches, but I think tenths of a gram would be helpful.

My main concern so far about using Pryme to design a product line is that it's a unique product from a single small supplier. Hopefully it will continue to be available.

topofmurrayhill and ChrisR, thanks for all the infomation, good to know. I can see where this would be a great way to get the same color everytime. I misunderstood, I thought they were non smelly super concentrated liquid dyes. Never could understand the weighing thing till now, ChrisR, thanks you did a good job getting through this thick head. I'm sure I'll enjoy them along with all the other dyes I have. Now what about frosting, does this dye help prevent that? Do you still have to pour cooler?

Update on Pryme. SO far I have had no frosting in my candles at all from these dyes. I still have not tried black yet but that is on this weekends agenda. I have to had to wick up either with the addition of the dyes. I do need to get a scale that measures better though. Right now my current scale measures in grams but not 1.5g for example. At this point I am very happy with this product.

SharoninKY's let me use her pretty blue Pryme plus. My only concern with these colors is that, at 6g color per pound of wax, a 2oz bottle would only color about 9-10lbs. Am I right on that or is my math wrong? I'd go through a 2oz bottle pretty quickly if that were the case, whereas my regular liquid dye from Rustic has lasted well over a year!

I ordered some and they are on their way. If I ever get them. It's been 2 weeks now. I have found Barnloft is very hard to get a hold of too.

I'm looking forward to trying the frostop and pryme colors. Red is one I ordered too.

I ordered the Pryme Plus sample kit on 1/2/06, they charged my card on 1/9/06 (after I emailed them), and I received them on 1/17/06.

I sure hope they were worth the wait (no time to play till the weekend).

Sherry

Okay, you guys made me order these darn dyes. lol Have a question though...I ordered two of the kits on the 12th and other than the initial email containing my sales invoice I have heard nothing. Is this normal?

It's always been a peeve of mine when suppliers don't communicate. I'm not talking about a phone call...a simple email notification will do. If this is typical (as I suspect it may be) I cannot imagine incorporating their products into my line. Reliability, communication and promptness are important to me. Anyone else feel this way?

Okay, you guys made me order these darn dyes. lol Have a question though...I ordered two of the kits on the 12th and other than the initial email containing my sales invoice I have heard nothing. Is this normal?
Everyone seems to be having this experience lately and some concern is weighing on my mind. There seem to be delays in shipment and response to communications. It took a while to get my dyes and the shipment seems to have been prompted by an e-mail follow-up.

On the one hand this product is exactly what I wanted. On the other hand the supplier is really small. Business or life complications could easily throw a wrench in the works. Having to redesign a line of candles because a specialty colorant system isn't available anymore would not be a good development.

These dyes were being used in Barnlofts's own products. Recently I noticed on their site they aren't making soy candles anymore. They're selling ad space to other producers. I don't know what the implication is.

I ordered the big set on 1/21 and nothing yet. I see others have waited longer. I'm sending them one of my patented "this could be a problem" emails and get an ETA. It's possible they don't have these in stock, and are getting them drop-shipped directly to us from their supplier. Maybe Top can check his packing list to see where it shipped from?

geek

I sent BLC this email last night:

Hello!

I communicate with chandlers from the candletech.com website, and some have

ordered the Pryme color systemtwo weeks ago and have not received their

color nor received any communications, unless they emailed for shipment

status. I am concerned for my order, although it has only been five days

since I ordered.

Please advise me of my order status.

One thing we as chandlers like is a dependabel company that we buy supplies

from, and knowing that if we order needed supplies we can get them in a

timely fashion, and that we are assured that we can continue to get the same

product. If we get the color system, and then you decide to not carry it

anymore, it throws off our product and forces us to retest all our candles,

costing us time and money.

Thanks for checking on my order! Dave

This morning I got this response:

Hi Dave,

Thank you for your email. Your order will be shipping out on Monday. I was a

bit backed up with January orders, but nearly caught up! I appreciate the

time you took in emailing me to let me know that others had posted they were

dissatisfied in their wait.

Pryme is going nowhere.. it is mine alone, so I promise to carry it always!

I work a full time job along with doing Pryme and Frostop.

Email me as soon as you receive your shipment so I can send you information

you will need.

Kind Regards,

Daphne - www.barnloftcandles.com

Just thought you'd like to see this!

your geek

I ordered on 1/11 and sent email 1 week after ordering to see if it was shipped and have heard nothing back.I don't normally color my soy but I do have some jars that have white engraveing on them and without coloring the engraveing doesn't show up. I've got customers waiting on these jars and I can't get them to them. Not an happy camper here!!! Sure do hope this dye is worth the wait and I don't lose any sales because of this wait. If she is back up or behind it would be nice to atleast get an email back letting you know whats going on with your order.

This is the email I received this morning,,,I believe it when she says she was backed up. they have become popular dyes...

Hello Breanna,

Thank you for your email. Your dyes will be shipping out tomorrow (Saturday) via USPS priority. I apologize for the delay. I'm a bit behind with my January orders and just about caught back up!

Email as soon as you receive them so I can send you the urls you will need to accompany them.

Kind Regards,

Daphne - www.barnloftcandles.com