How do you judge a good hot throw with soy wax?

Hi,

I'm trying to get perspective about how to judge a good hot throw in soy wax candles. I'm hoping for a little poll of opinions because I think others might be curious too. :)          In general, would a good hot throw be very noticeable upon walking into an average sized den where it had been burning for an hour?  Is it a good hot throw even if you don't start really smelling it until you are maybe a yard from the candle? 

That's a tough one because not everyone perceives smell the same - a lot of times candles I think are duds that I can't smell at all my sister will tell me it's crazy strong

and vice Versa

I always have a couple of my sisters and my daughter take candles with them for feedback and not judge new ones soley on what I think

but my first step in judging hot throw is burning them in my kitchen which is open to the living room with cathedral ceilings 

if I can smell it walking into the laundry room after a half hour it's good- within an hour if I can smell it in the living room I am doing great and if it drifts thru the hallway into the bedrooms after a couple hours  it's a super winner - if it's on the weak side I will move it to a bedroom and see if I can smell it in there - and if I can't and my sisters can't I ditch the scent 

I have a rating system on my website 

light- medium- strong and very strong 

many people like subtle scents and many like in your face scent and again the rating system is just a guide because not everyone smells it the same 

I suggest you have testers that you can trust try your scents once they pass your approval - the ones I can't smell at all in a bedroom I just don't make in candles anymore and if I really love the scent and don't want to let it go I make it in melts and try it in parasoy candles 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1

Very interesting. I think it is possible that I need to get more testers outside the home. Actually, maybe I need some that are not related since we all have sinus problems! Thank you for giving me an idea of how you judge hot throw. It seems clear I have some kinks I have to work out! ?

I myself was also going to ask this question. Using 464 and letting my candles cure 2-4 weeks, I still only get a decent throw in a bedroom sized room. Is this about normal? I mostly use 6% but have also went up to 10% with no difference in throw. I use 11 oz tumblers, square masons and 9 oz flint jars. My wicking seems appropriate from everything Ive read and tested. Any experienced candle makers care to give me your opinions. Sorry OP, wasn't trying to hijack your thread, I myself was also curious. 

• Like 1

FB157 what wicks and size are you using with the 464 in the square Mason's -

wicking also plays a huge role in your throw/ many types will throw better than others 

for me decent throw in a bedroom isn't bad but I do shoot for a big room filling up with scent -  but if my testers say they like one that I could only smell in a bedroom slightly and they say different I keep it and rate it based off my opinion of "light throw"- there are many people that like subtle scents - I am not one of those-  I love in your face strong but I also have sinus issues and can't smell as easily as some people so my testers are invaluable to deciding if it's worth keeping

i always used in 464 1.5 ounces FO per pound of wax - same as I do with the 415 that I switched to several years ago

I feel it throws Better and it doesn't frost or bloom over time 

but I have burned others 464 candles and they were good and strong so it can be done 

• Like 1

Moonshine thanks for the reply and guidance. In my square masons Ive been using either a CD 10, CD 12 or Premiere 767. I use quality FO's mostly from CS, TFC or AH/RE so I also ruled that out. I add between 180-185 and stir for two minutes then pour between 160-170. I really would like to get this 464 working for me but so far the throw sucks. Why did to make the switch to 415? Maybe Ill try again at 1.5 oz PP.

Edited to see you already said why you switched to the 415. Sorry didn't see it initially

Edited by FB157

Not sure how big the square Mason is, but I use 464 in pint Ball jars, 6-7% FO, and 785 or 790 Premier wicks.  I had to go up with my wick size to get a good hot throw with some oils.  Now I just test with these two sizes and decide to add the fragrance or not to my line.  Even now, I will get a fragrance oil from a good company that doesn't throw well for me.  As others have said, I just move on and try the next sample.  I actually switched from 415 to 464.  I think it was to get a better hot throw; can't remember now.

FB157, you must have the patience of Job.  I can wait two weeks to cure testers but no more. :)

Goldie

Thanks for the advice Goldie, I may try wicking up some and see if that helps. I was leaning away from the Premiers because I sometimes get an odd burning smell with them but Ill give it another shot with my supply. Thanks again.

17 minutes ago, FB157 said:

Thanks for the advice Goldie, I may try wicking up some and see if that helps. I was leaning away from the Premiers because I sometimes get an odd burning smell with them but Ill give it another shot with my supply. Thanks again.

Funny that you should say this.  I just noticed a bad burnt smell, yesterday, as one of my candles got to the very bottom of the jar.  I was cleaning the oven at the time and thought it was from that.  But stuck my nose in the candle and knew it was the candle.  Wonder what that is about!  Never had that happen before. :(

Goldie

2 minutes ago, GoldieMN said:

Funny that you should say this.  I just noticed a bad burnt smell, yesterday, as one of my candles got to the very bottom of the jar.  I was cleaning the oven at the time and thought it was from that.  But stuck my nose in the candle and knew it was the candle.  Wonder what that is about!  Never had that happen before. :(

Goldie

Yes! I always get that in the middle or end of a burn with those specific brand of wicks for some reason. The only reason I haven't liked them. Everything else is spot on. I also use 6% FO so maybe I notice it more.