Anyone use citronella?

Siren12

I bought citronella from CS and boy is  it strong! I got a 3oz bottle but I have no idea how much to use, they sell it in odd sizes because of the strength.

Have any of you made citronella candles before? I don't want  to make them too strong but obviously want them to keep bugs away.

Any suggestions helpful, I usually  do 1oz per pound but that's going to be to strong I'm guessing

Edited by Siren12

• 2 weeks later...

Hi here, I use CItronella from Aztec.

I only make citronella candles for use outside- warning labels says so as well!!

You can do 1oz pp, but keep in mind, these are not going to be beautiful or fragrant... People only buy these for mosquitos!! I do not make these in glass jars either. 

I was making these last time and I got so nauseous that I felt like I was going to pass out!!

It is hard for me to sniff test citronella because it just reminds me of mosquitos... lol

Most commercial citronella candles rely on the "smudge" effect to rid mosquitoes. The smoke is what seems to keep them at bay. Which explains the huge wicks that are really smoky in candles, torches and those little spiral incense like coils. 

In in barnyards I have seen people make smudge barrels to slowly burn damp hay/straw. The animals stand in the smoky part instinctively to keep the mosquitoes away. Not very pleasant for a patio, but explains how the stuff works :D 

on our patio we just run a fan. Doesn't take much to keep the little vipers away. 

Thanks so much, when i opened the bottle and was immediately knocked back and knew i needed to wait till i could have a fan and open window going to make the candles. I actually bought some nice ceramic buckets that look like they are for shellfish and beachy. putting a warning on them is a good idea, the buckets that i got are big so i think i will only be able to make the two candles and now need to buy bigger wicks than i currently have. Ill stick  with the 1oz and see if that works, i am going to make them as gifts for my sister and mother in law. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2016 at 8:12 PM, Siren12 said:

I bought citronella from CS and boy is  it strong! I got a 3oz bottle but I have no idea how much to use, they sell it in odd sizes because of the strength.

Have any of you made citronella candles before? I don't want  to make them too strong but obviously want them to keep bugs away.

Any suggestions helpful, I usually  do 1oz per pound but that's going to be to strong I'm guessing

Hi Siren12!

I just love the CS citronella....I had searched for a long time and I feel that this is the best smelling one out there (ackkk if there is such an animal as a good smelling Citronella...hee hee) . I use 1 oz per lb if making a straight citronella, but a few of my customers love the blends....I do 1/2 - 3/4 Citronella and 1/4 to 1/2 other compatible scents such as Orange, Lemon, Vanilla, Lime, Fir etc. The blends smell good and gives the customers a different choice. :)

• Like 1