How to Hydrolyze Silk?

chuck_35550

Ok, so I have this massive bag of Tussah silk. It doesn't dissolve worth a flip in hot lye water and generally winds up on my hand mixer (maybe I use to much and don't cut it up small enough...who knows?) . I would love to dissolve that giant bag of silk into a liquid for easier use, any ideas?

How much are you using and how hot is your lye? 

I use about 1-2oz in my 12lb of 50/50 (6lb each) master batch lye solution - it does take a while for it to dissolve. I let my lye sit in it's bucket overnight before transferring it to my airtight jug, and usually by then it's dissolved. Sometimes it looks like there are still some undissolved strands, but when I give it a slow stir, it will go away and dissolve right in. 

About the size of a cue tip and the lye water is about 200 degrees or so. Its problematic in milk soaps because I keep the temp under 100 degrees. I figured that there must be a way to boil it to death or use alcohol or a blow torch to make it liquid. Otherwise, I'll never go through such a bag. Thanks for the tip.

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

I first fluff out my silk and stretch it out as far as I can. Then I cut it up into very small pieces. I typically make 4 lb batches and use about the size wad of my thumbnail.

I pour my water into the container with cut up silk and swish it around until the silk fibers are saturated with water. I have found the silk will tend to dissolve faster this way once I get it started with the water before I add in the lye. Then I add in the lye crytals and stir the lye water around to dissolve all lye crystals and to make sure the silk doesn't ball up.

It still takes about 1/2 hour to an hour to fully dissolve but this is the best way I have found to get it all dissolved in the lye solution.

I do this with aloe juice too.

Another thing I do is use a 50/50% lye solution so the lye water is pretty strong. So if I have 8oz of lye I use 8oz liquid.

Don't know if you can do a milk lye solution this way. I generally add my milk to my soap batter and not to the lye. That is why I use a strong lye solution so I can use more liquid with the soap batter.... like milk or whatever.

AHH, yeah, I didn't think about milk soaps. I've actually never tried to dissolve silk in a milk soap. Hmmm, you might try what Candy said about saturating the silk with the milk to help it and then once it's completely saturated, freeze the milk/silk mixture then when time to soap try dissolving both with the lye. I have no idea if that would work. Might be worth a shot in a small batch maybe? 

I think that's the size of mine CB. Honestly, I can't see a whole lot of advantage with using silk. It's just a pita to deal with for not that much return but I hate to waste. I also have bags of clays, colloidal oatmeal and a ton of cocoa butter (because I forgot a bag was stashed in one of the bins, lol) and it makes me wonder if I follow too many rabbit holes.

I have but as you get older you just forget what you do with stuff. What's worse is when you reorganize; you forget where you now put the stuff! Now where did I put that charcoal?  I have stepped away from the business for the time being, until I retire this summer. Hopefully, a new strategy will breathe some life into my tired business. Besides, I'm jonesing to get down in the lab and create some soap.