Help with wicking

I am using IGI 4627 in a 8 oz Colonial Jar from Peak and lx series wicks like cs suggests. I poured 3 with 1.5 oz FO and 6 drops of dye testing lx 20 (as recommended) as well as lx 18 and lx 22 ... SOOO after curing for a week I have amazing cold throw and hardly any hot throw but I think that is because I can't get the melt pool to go out to the edges of the jar I just poured another 3 using lx 24 lx 26 and lx 28 and will have to let that cure. I am now at the end of the second 4 your test... I don't want to seem impatient... My question is should I maybe double wick and if so what size would y'all recommend for each of the 2 wicks? Or stay with one or??? does anyone have any other recommendations?

I don't use that wax, but...

The 1.5 oz of FO, is that per candle? or for all 3 8 oz candles? 8 oz by container volume or weighed wax?

What are the internal dimensions of the container? I don't double wick anything under 4 inches generally. It gets way too hot part way down.

Can you take pics of the burns at intervals? I don't worry about full melt pool for the first few burns.

Little Light,

I agee with Tall Tayle, if I was doing that jar I would't double wick either, especially with the shoulders it has (meaning trapping the heat in the jar than a jar that has a straight wall).  That jar is right borderline of the 4" if double wicking.  The size I see is 3 7/8" at the widest x 2 3/4" tall.  Wished I could help you too, but I don't use that wax.  Now if you were doing c3 or 464 I could give you my findings......

So you let them cure for a week and are testing...so how many burns have you done?  Your doing great testings!  What made you decide to do another 3 and do them larger?

Oh yes, like Tall Tayle said, PICTURES help so much! :) 

Trappeur

• Like 1

Got it!! Lol ok so this is the end result after the second 4 hour burn . Tall... the 1.5oz was in 1.5 pounds of wax divided between the 3 candles with 8oz net weight. Trapp... First thank you thank you thank you for the encouragement... Sometimes we need a pay on the back for ANYTHING right?? Lol I redid a pour with bigger wicks because when I did a search the only things that came up was to wick up one or two so I figure I would try the next 3 lol. I have about a half inch of hangup... Like I said I have AMAZING cold throw and not very good hot throw. I am also doing melt which smell FAAAABOULOUS so I'm super excited to get the hang of the candle version! Lol thank you both so much for the any help!

• Like 1

Tks TLL. The info and photos help a lot. I sure wish i was fmailiar with your wax.

That jar, being wider than tall, will be a challenge to wick for sure. If the melt smells great, but the burning candle does not then the wick is the logical place to look.

If your newly wicked jars fail to burn well for you (after paaaatiently waiting for them to be ready) I would be tempted to double wick, taking care to not cause overheating. The shoulders of that jar will generate a lot of air current further down in the burn.

When double-wicking 1+1 does not equal 2. Two LX 10 will usually be "more wick" than an LX 20 for instance. I try to do this as a last resort.

O I meant my melts for an electric warmer smell great. But sitting here next to the cold candle smells amazing ... I'm anxious to get further into the candle to see what kind of a scent throw I get... I'm just hoping to get to the point of being able to smell a good scent throw within an hour like you do with say a gold canyon or a yankee type. The last jars I had were taller than they were wide and someone said that's not good either so I'm a little confused as most of the jarred candles i see seem to be taller than wide... Can someone weigh in on this for me? Sorry to be so needy and I promise after I learn I will be here to help others!!

The waxes i use (beeswax, palm and soy) like to burn down then out. When a container is wider than tall with my waxes they seem to need to be overwicked to burn all the wax. Overwicking is something i personally dislike (after having over wicked candles shatter glass and nearly start my house on fire)

Taller than wide allows my candles to be wicked more conservatively, burn longer and (IMO) a good bit safer. The taller containers get hotter as the flame moves down the height of the container and creates air currents within, which fan the flames, if you will.

Guest OldGlory

That's a very pretty candle! I don't use that wax so I can't help with the wick dilemma.

Have you considered finding an easier-to-wick jar?

Thank you so so much for responding... I would be willing to try a different jar, I also have a case of the 16 oz colonial jar but was thinking I would start and master one at a time... I like the look of these jars and the combo of shape of jar creamy wax and BEAUTIFUL colors but if it won't work it won't work. What are some popular choices for container candles? Do you have any recomendations?

I am no expert at all but I would try a hotter burning wick,that may also help with the scent throw.Maybe htp wicks ,#126 .Eco seem to burn hot in My 4627 candles but I find they may smoke in the beginning,not my favorite wick.Other candle makers may chime in to help you more.I use a jar 3 inch wide by 3 inches and lx 16 works great.zinc 51 works well but the mushrooms just kills me! I do like htp 93 or up 104 ( jar gets hot with 104) wicks for heavier scents.Maybe that would help you.Don't forget to stir gently, blend your scent well.Try a different scent,not all scents work well in all waxes even 4627.Have fun.

Little light,

I love the color of your candle.  It's very rich looking.  What scent did you go with?

You've got great suggestions from everyone reaching out to help and give the best advice that they know of.  And just because what works for one person does not necessarily mean it will work for the next one.  I know it can get quite mind boggling with what wicks to try but don't give up as you will get there, you will and when you do, you will feel like you hit the lottery! lol...... Don't feel like you've wasted money on the CS wicks at all.  You will be using them and so many love them.  You just have to keep testing like you are doing, that's all...  I can see how dedicated you are and are really doing a great job and hanging in there. 

Before I forget, I found something useful one day by accident.  I was on Lone Stars site one day looking at their jars and when I clicked on a few styles they have right on their site other people who have bought a particular jar and you should see all the questions that people post and answers and suggestion from people of what their findings were in selections of that particular jar.  So just in case some of your questions can't be answered here by all these great chandlers here that you may have, here is another area you could look for possible answers too.  I read as much as I can on everything and I just happened on this one day, but I really value everyones opinion here, so your in great hands!

Trappeur

I

• Like 1

Got it!! Lol ok so this is the end result after the second 4 hour burn . Tall... the 1.5oz was in 1.5 pounds of wax divided between the 3 candles with 8oz net weight. Trapp... First thank you thank you thank you for the encouragement... Sometimes we need a pay on the back for ANYTHING right?? Lol I redid a pour with bigger wicks because when I did a search the only things that came up was to wick up one or two so I figure I would try the next 3 lol. I have about a half inch of hangup... Like I said I have AMAZING cold throw and not very good hot throw. I am also doing melt which smell FAAAABOULOUS so I'm super excited to get the hang of the candle version! Lol thank you both so much for the any help!

Yep, you sure are right about that......pat, pat, pat......I can't find my pat icon! lol

Trappeur

Trapp i hope you know how truly valuable you are not only to me but everyone in this forum is better off because you are here... I watch you try to help nearly EVERY post that I click on!! You - my dear - are amazing! And THANK YOU! I know it probably sounds kinda redundant at this point but I can't say it enough... There are a few more and as I come across them I will thank them as well. I'm not giving up..no way.. I love a challenge and even though I get mighty frustrated I'm one of those that HAS TO complete/ master a task when I start so don't worry about that ... In this particular candle I used lovespell from Peak.

I looked on lone star and they don't have my exact jar but they have a closely shaped 15oz and clicked on the q&a and low and behold there was someone struggling with wicking THAT jar with the 4627... Read through the comments and 3 sepparate people said to double wick THAT jar so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this will work!

Omg.....Little Light....Thankyou for the so kind compliments...I don't know what to say, except thankyou.  But believe me, I am not nearly 1/2 as good or as close as good as all these chandlers here on the forum.... It is nice like you said to give all the pats we can to one another.  Keeps us strong and the will to go on when at times we feel like giving up.  Thankyou again for such sweetness and kindness.  You made my day because I have been have a real sh......y day to say the least! lol

Trappeur