pouring question.

When pouring several of the same type/scent of product, how do you get the same predetermined amount in each jar/container or clamshell? Do you put each product one at a time on a scale? Doesn't that cause wax to cool too much for multiple pouring? Just curious what everyone does. TIA

For my jars I do out them on a scale to make sure I have the net weight I advertise on my label- if I have a little left I add a little more to each jar

For melts I just eyeball and make sure I don't go over the the little lip in the clamshells because then it makes a mess out of the clam - I don't weigh those

I use an official calibrated chop stick until I can easily eyeball it.  I'm damn good at eyeballing, but I do double check on a scale after the candle has set up, I'm rarely more than grams difference.  I've tried the one at a time on a scale, but I don't like to move a container with wax in it because it sloshes around.  After pouring and pouring the same containers you do get the gist of your container, but having a chop stick on the outside of the container does help give your eye something to look for, or even measure and put a piece of painters tape on the outside until you learn to feel it. 

• Like 1

I use an official calibrated chop stick until I can easily eyeball it.  I'm damn good at eyeballing, but I do double check on a scale after the candle has set up, I'm rarely more than grams difference.  I've tried the one at a time on a scale, but I don't like to move a container with wax in it because it sloshes around.  After pouring and pouring the same containers you do get the gist of your container, but having a chop stick on the outside of the container does help give your eye something to look for, or even measure and put a piece of painters tape on the outside until you learn to feel it. 

:laugh2:

• Like 1

I keep my pour pot on an electric burner with a thermometer in it and place the prepared jar on my tared out scale. Any leftovers are equally distributed to the other jars. I've tried eyeballing and I'm not good at guessing. Some fos are heavier than others but generally things work out the same. Temps are kept constant and cooling is kept slow for best adhesion to jar wall.

I keep my pour pot on an electric burner with a thermometer in it and place the prepared jar on my tared out scale. Any leftovers are equally distributed to the other jars. I've tried eyeballing and I'm not good at guessing. Some fos are heavier than others but generally things work out the same. Temps are kept constant and cooling is kept slow for best adhesion to jar wall.

When you begin to step up production you'll figure out a landmark on the jar as a fill line. As long as the candle meets to min weigt on the label you are fine. Specific gravities of fragrance cause a super minimal difference in the final candle fill.

• Like 1

Like others I can eyeball it plus I use the bottom of the jar lid area as my fill line. Periodically I weigh my filled jars to make sure I am maintaining a weight continuity for all of them. The difference is usually grams but they pretty much all match weights. Just takes a bit of practice.

I too tried putting my jars on a scale so I could weigh as I poured the wax in the jar. But moving the jar off the scale I did not like the wax sloshing around plus for me its an accident waiting to happen. So this method did not work and I stick to eyeballing and my jar sight fill line.

• Like 1

Like others I can eyeball it plus I use the bottom of the jar lid area as my fill line. Periodically I weigh my filled jars to make sure I am maintaining a weight continuity for all of them. The difference is usually grams but they pretty much all match weights. Just takes a bit of practice.

I too tried putting my jars on a scale so I could weigh as I poured the wax in the jar. But moving the jar off the scale I did not like the wax sloshing around plus for me its an accident waiting to happen. So this method did not work and I stick to eyeballing and my jar sight fill line.