What is this?

Candle guy

I was mixing 50/50 4627 with 4625 at 8% fo with 1 to 2 drops of any dye and had 10 melts come out perfectly. Yesterday and today I am getting these results all over the sides and bottom of the cavities yet the tops are fine. I did 70/30 also but the same result. I heat both waxes separately and then blend. I stir everything up even while it's cooling down. Finally I am pouring around 140. I am using cavities I purchased from Peak. Anyone have any idea why this is happening?

post-15084-0-11405900-1452452928_thumb.j

I don't think that they are fractures. I haven't pulled the wax out of the cavities yet. I am just looking at it from the outside. I'm not sure how they would crack unless it was too cold in my work area but that shouldn't be the case. It's at least 72 in my area. Maybe pouring too low? 140 is about my pour temp for the melts

Jcandleattic,

Thank you for the response and I am thinking the same thing at this point. I was figuring that between the combo of parrafin and pillar the wax will definitely harden a bit. This, in my mind, could very well be what's happening. Thanks everyone for the responses and I will be making more in hopes of a better turn out.

Do any of you guys use a Glade warmer? I have had two people who use Scensy warmers report that my melts are smelling great and lasting a minimum of 24 hours with 2 small cubes from the cavity. 1 tester said hers has lasted for 2 days now with the burner on 24 hours. The other tester said his lasted from 7pm til almost 10 the next night with 2 cubes. When I test mine on the Glade warmer mine will smell strong for about 5 hours and then fade. If I reheat the wax the next day it gives harday any scent at all. Anyone know why this is?

Attic,

I am thinking that it could be the temperature of the warmers as well but hopefully I will have a definitive answer soon. I have a ton of people testing right now different melts and tarts. I made a tester form for people to fill out with some questions and a couple asking what kind of warmer and wattage. So hopefully I will get some constructive feedback. ☺

• Like 1

Do any of you guys use a Glade warmer? I have had two people who use Scensy warmers report that my melts are smelling great and lasting a minimum of 24 hours with 2 small cubes from the cavity. 1 tester said hers has lasted for 2 days now with the burner on 24 hours. The other tester said his lasted from 7pm til almost 10 the next night with 2 cubes. When I test mine on the Glade warmer mine will smell strong for about 5 hours and then fade. If I reheat the wax the next day it gives harday any scent at all. Anyone know why this is?

Yes. Plate warmers will be hotter than bulb warmers. 

Not certain where you plan to sell but of course you will want to know what warmers are preferred by your customers.

Online buyers are very savvy. The first thing they ask each other when someone posts a pic of a new warmer is, "what is the wattage?".

Most of those buyers prefer plate style warmers to bulb style warmers. 

Glade is a 20 watt warmer, one Scentsy warmer that I looked at is 25 watt. The Glade most definitely gets hotter. 

I have very few local customers. Those mostly know about Scentsy so have those warmers. They want melts that last for days. Online customers collect wax and have several warmers. Many have several on at once in their house and they like to change wax a couple of times a day. So, they like the scent to be super strong more quickly. That is better achieved in a plate style warmer.

I still prefer bulb warmers for myself but test in both styles.

• Like 1

Chick,

Thank you for your input and knowledge of the warmers. Eventually I will sell online but I think that I really need to nail down longevity and strong scent. This may take a while. Meanwhile I am still trying to get my candles down pat. I am in another forum working on finding the right wicks and wax combo lol. I am finding though that a lot of people are turning to melts.

Yes. Plate warmers will be hotter than bulb warmers. 

Not certain where you plan to sell but of course you will want to know what warmers are preferred by your customers.

Online buyers are very savvy. The first thing they ask each other when someone posts a pic of a new warmer is, "what is the wattage?".

Most of those buyers prefer plate style warmers to bulb style warmers. 

Glade is a 20 watt warmer, one Scentsy warmer that I looked at is 25 watt. The Glade most definitely gets hotter. 

I have very few local customers. Those mostly know about Scentsy so have those warmers. They want melts that last for days. Online customers collect wax and have several warmers. Many have several on at once in their house and they like to change wax a couple of times a day. So, they like the scent to be super strong more quickly. That is better achieved in a plate style warmer.

I still prefer bulb warmers for myself but test in both styles.

Glade gets hotter at 20 watts versus 25? Any idea why?

Chick,

Thank you for your input and knowledge of the warmers. Eventually I will sell online but I think that I really need to nail down longevity and strong scent. This may take a while. Meanwhile I am still trying to get my candles down pat. I am in another forum working on finding the right wicks and wax combo lol. I am finding though that a lot of people are turning to melts.

Yes, you will want to have a solid wax blend that offers strong scent and longevity before you sell to anyone! I have seen some break onto the online scene without having testing complete. Changing wax-and perception-online once it has been set has been VERY difficult for some. 

Melts are indeed very popular.

• Like 1

I am not sure what is satisfactory with my melt life span. If 2 of my wax squares are lasting a couple days on bulb warmers and the same 2 are only lasting 5 hours on a Glade, how do we determine if they are good or not?

This is where seasoned testers come into play. Not family and friends who are just being helpful. You will not want to make longevity commitments/claims in your marketing (i.e, "Our melts last a full 12 hours") as you will know always know warmer type, how they melt, where, climate and more of those who buy. 

You have to select a longevity that is acceptable to you and seasoned melters. That becomes your measuring rod.

Certainly. The Glade warmer has a ceramic dish that sits on an electric hot plate. Bulb warmers are ceramic dishes that sit raised over a light bulb.

That makes more sense. Not having anything but the wattage info it did not compute.

I have always used the tealight kind. The only differences in those are a) the distance between the candle and the bowl, and b ) the material (stone versus ceramic). Well a third is the type of candle used (paraffin vs soy vs beeswax)

That is great information chick! I am giving samples out to mostly people I don't know at the moment. I was taking advice from people on this site pertaining to that. It is awesome to know that everyone is very supportive on these forums. I do appreciate all of the tips and suggestions by everyone. With that being said, I am steering clear of claims until I know for sure. I am still a rookie lol. I have come a long way in a short amount of time but still have much to learn. Thank you to everyone

• Like 1