Different votive mold

Guest OldGlory

I don't know of a mold that has perfectly vertical sides, but I bought a bunch 12 or 13 years ago that were almost perfectly vertical. They were the hard plastic molds. If I can find where I bought them I will post it here. Poke around for plastic votive molds. They are not clamshells.

I remember buying some straight sided molds that were votive sized a few years ago, but they were on clearance.  They looked like ity bity pilars and I thought they were cute...I don't remember where I stashed them tho :(

Maybe just use a 2-inch pillar mold but only pour it 2 inches deep?

I just bought a few plastic molds from the candlemakers store - they have no flare and I hope no issues with discoloration

Metal molds no matter what I do turn my un-dyed soy into spotted orange ugly things

I haven't tried them yet but they seem to be great quality

The polycarbonate molds I have used in the past, yes are reusable, but get brittle and crack over time, and also if you are using a fragrance they can get etched from the FO in the wax. I found that I had to keep buying every few months, which made the pricing much higher in the long run than a typical metal votive. I would probably do what Chefmom suggested and use a small pillar mold, and short pour it. 

Polycarb molds used to not be fragrance friendly. I don't imagine that has changed much. The ones I had, not votive, lasted a whopping three uses max. 

You could buy votive holders and 1) wick and fill and sell as is or 2) wick and fill and pop out either with fridge-release method or perhaps spraying or using a mold release. 

The easiest way would be what Chuck said. 

Guest OldGlory

Maybe the polycarb molds I bought were different. I used them dozens of times with no problems, making fragranced votives with a 6% load. Could be just a different quality product.