Test ??

i made a candle tonight in glass containor for the jar store was a sample i used Low Smoke Self Centering Zinc Votive Wick. One Pour Container Parafin Blend

scented with summer melody now i want to test make sure i did this right what do i do i know light and blow out but unsure after that what to look for please help

jar measurement: 3 1/8" height

newcandle0015be.jpg

Well, you're supposed to let it burn for a while. I think it's an inch per hour, but not sure if that's for containers. You're going to be looking for the size/depth of the melt pool, size of the flame, if there is any hang-up on the sides of the jar. I'm sure I'm missing a whole bunch of stuff, but I'm sure some of the more experienced people will help you a whole lot more!

I can't really help you with the zinc wicks, I don't use them....but, if you don't know the diameter of your jar..how did you choose what wick to use? You need to know the diameter of your jar to choose a wick for a starting point.

Also whenever I use a new wax I always make a test candle with just the wax...no scent, no dye. Test it and get it wicked so it burns properly..that gives me a starting point. Some scent and dye combinations work with that wick and some I need to wick up or wick down.

You have wax poured up into the chimney of the jar. There is usually a 1/2" difference between the chimney and the widest part of the jar so you will need to burn it down to the widest part to determine if the wicking is right. I only pour my wax to the top of the widest part of the jar.

You really need to know the diameter of the jar, 5 oz are usually 2 1/2" but measure it to be sure.

What to look for: is there a full melt pool, length of time it took for full melt pool, is the flame too high, too low, smoking, when you blow out the candle measure the depth of the melt pool, is it too deep, not deep enough...those are just some of the things to look for. Do a search of the forum, search for melt pool, wicking, melt pool depth, etc. read everything you can find, post pictures of it burning and ask questions.

Just wanted to add that when I started testing with wicks over a year ago I asked about testing protocol. Thought I should start with no dye & FO. Input I got from this board was to test with dye and FO since they have such an impact on wicking. I'm a real wick newbie but the flame does look a little big to me. How is the scent throw?

When it burns down to where the widest part of the jar starts, extinguish it and let it completely cool. Relight it and burn it for about 2 1/2 hours. Check the meltpool it should be all the way to the sides of the jar and about 1/2" deep.

What size wicks to you use in your tins? How does the diameter of this jar compare to that of the tin? If they're about the same it should give you a good starting point for wick size. If the jar is a bit smaller, the wick may need to be a bit smaller and vice-versa.

all my other test were on votives never i jar and now i see what you are saying i amgoignto have to find a smaller wic ty all for the help

Oh My! So the 4oz and 8oz container candles you are selling on your website haven't been tested? You must have close to 100 scents listed for them. :undecided

Just wanted to add that when I started testing with wicks over a year ago I asked about testing protocol. Thought I should start with no dye & FO. Input I got from this board was to test with dye and FO since they have such an impact on wicking. I'm a real wick newbie but the flame does look a little big to me. How is the scent throw?

MY 2 SCENTS(get it :grin2: ) I definately agree, IMO, its a waste of time to test w/out FO and dye as they can dramatically change your wick size. I agree w/ everyone else that the flame for 2 hours is huge (it looks like what a candle should look like after 6 to 7 hrs of straight burning).

prairieannie brings up a good point every FO you offer should be tested in every wick/container before selling for safety reasons. I know its a pain in the butt. Maybe you could list a few tested scents and add that you take scent requests. That way if you get a request you can then test that scent before selling it. :)