Etsy vs other website platforms

KB12

That is some crazy high shipping. I bet you freaked a little looking at the total before the actual lines of the statement. I sure would have, lol. but super cheap fees based on the top line sales for the month. Kudos. You have arrived! Well done.

Were you calculating shipping well so that the net was zero on the shipping labels number?

IMO/IME etsy is a nice pool of buyers that i ordinarily would not have access to. I send " my" hard earned, in-person customers to my own site. I have already "paid" to gain the customer, so no sense adding a commission to etsy for a sale that i would have made on my own site anyway.

They buys POUNDS of wax so shipping is high. Shipping is not always net zero. Sometimes I lose a dollar or two. I use Regional Rate A and B boxes almost exclusively and those rates vary by the customer's location.

Almost no one found me through organic search on Etsy. 95% of my customers come through my Facebook Group and other general wax Facebook Groups. That is also why having the site alone made sense for me. Less than 5% of my sales are local. Even those shop through the site. I have to collect tax and claim the income anyway so having it documented helps at tax time.

I work wax part-time in addition to a demanding corporate career so I have as much business as I can manage.  

• Like 1

They buys POUNDS of wax so shipping is high. Shipping is not always net zero. Sometimes I lose a dollar or two. I use Regional Rate A and B boxes almost exclusively and those rates vary by the customer's location.

Almost no one found me through organic search on Etsy. 95% of my customers come through my Facebook Group and other general wax Facebook Groups. That is also why having the site alone made sense for me. Less than 5% of my sales are local. Even those shop through the site. I have to collect tax and claim the income anyway so having it documented helps at tax time.

I work wax part-time in addition to a demanding corporate career so I have as much business as I can manage.  

The source of the traffic DEFINITELY supports your own site. If you can manage the site, and the monthly/annual costs of the site are less than the Etsy commissions, then it's an easy decision for sure.

Regional Rate boxes are the greatest thing in shiping since sliced bread and ECOpeanuts =)

"

I work wax part-time in addition to a demanding corporate career so I have as much business as I can manage.  "

time to taise prices a smidge to lower the work load and keep the income similar :D

I'm coming in a little late to the conversation.

I sell pretty exclusively through Etsy. I tried my own site years ago and it did not generate the amount of customers that Etsy did and does. I have 2 shops on there and it's definitely worth it for me.  My shops are my only job, besides being a mom.

I also sell at a couple of big shows during the year and have a small customer base through my church. I don't do a lot of advertising there but they find me when they know what I do. :)

Justajeseuschick- Wow! You've had awesome success on Etsy! How long have you been on it?

Suzy- I am a stay at home mom to two boys under 2, and my goal is to be able to make enough to not have to go back to work. I know that's a long term goal, but one that I'm striving for! I love that etsy is the way that you make your main income!

Edited by KB12

The source of the traffic DEFINITELY supports your own site. If you can manage the site, and the monthly/annual costs of the site are less than the Etsy commissions, then it's an easy decision for sure.

Regional Rate boxes are the greatest thing in shiping since sliced bread and ECOpeanuts =)

"

I work wax part-time in addition to a demanding corporate career so I have as much business as I can manage.  "

time to taise prices a smidge to lower the work load and keep the income similar :D

Yes! That is why it made sense for me to move, but certainly it would not be right for everyone.

I am thrilled to learn that you are a Moderator here who actively markets and sells online. I have often felt that my ideas and experiences did not resonate here as it seems that most sell wholesale or have physical retail sales which are both awesome but different than online sales.

I'm coming in a little late to the conversation.

I sell pretty exclusively through Etsy. I tried my own site years ago and it did not generate the amount of customers that Etsy did and does. I have 2 shops on there and it's definitely worth it for me.  My shops are my only job, besides being a mom.

I also sell at a couple of big shows during the year and have a small customer base through my church. I don't do a lot of advertising there but they find me when they know what I do. :)

Yeah, you are late to the Etsy party! You are one of my Etsy heroes (and I adore your lip balm which reminds me that I need more!). TallTayl is also now my Etsy hero!

Justajeseuschick- Wow! You've had awesome success on Etsy! How long have you been on it?

Suzy- I am a stay at home mom to two boys under 2, and my goal is to be able to make enough to not have to go back to work. I know that's a long term goal, but one that I'm striving for! I love that etsy is the way that you make your main income!

I opened my Etsy store January of 2014. I sold locally prior to that. I moved to a website in May of this year so just about 1.5 years. Now my Etsy Shop has only my scent list and a posting about the new website.

• Like 1

:) Etsy hero. I like that. :) Thanks! I have more lip balm flavors coming, I just need to take pictures and edit them.

It took awhile to get to where I am.  It's A LOT of work but so so worth it.  I'm a single mom of 3 boys.  When I divorced it was my goal to stay home with my kids.  They had already been through a lot (my ex is a drug addict) and I just felt staying home was better.  There were many months where my income does not match my bills but I'm here and I'm doing it!!  I live very simply. I have no debt. I need a bigger house but where I live is inexpensive.  Someday!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE what I do.  there are days where my motivation is no where to be found but I blame hormones. haha! 

With Etsy, it takes time to build a customer base.  Most of mine are new customers but I'm starting to get a really good amount of repeat buyers.  And then there are ,of course, buyers from a crazy place and I want them to shop somewhere else. :)  Adding new products often is key.  Having good descriptions, tags, and pictures is also very important. Make sure your prices and shipping are set so you actually make money. Pricing is hard because you think people will complain and maybe they will. But there are also people who gladly buy handmade and pay the price.

• Like 1

The important thing is that you are making it and that you love what you do! A happy mom makes for happy kiddos! It's so important that your kids see that they are your number one priority and that hard work pays off! I wish you and your family the best of luck!

I've noticed that some people price their products so low on etsy, in order to be competitive, but I have no idea how they make any money. Then there are others who over price their products, in my opinion, and they do actually have sales. Like you said, I think it's due to their pictures, scent descriptions, and product tagging. They seem to be creating a different type of experience for the consumer. I would love to create a "higher end" shopping experience on etsy, but it will def take time and marketing strategies, like were mentioned above.

See, Suzy? This is why you are my Etsy hero!

JAJC, your journey has been inspiring. I remember reading your early posts as you were working toward your first vendor fair at your work place. Oh, how far you've come! Looking forward to the next chapter.

Thank you! That was September 2012! 3 years makes a difference! 

This year I am not even doing the Artisan Fair! It is crazy as they pay for everything and it costs me absolutely nothing to sell $700-$800 in 1 day. I just cannot do it. My online business keeps me too busy. Plus, the thought of hauling all that heavy product, signs, making testers, possibility of rain...yuck! I will stay at home and make wax and money in my jammies!

p.s. Either post or send me a link to your Etsy Shop or website. I am always looking to buy things for others FROM others I know are hand making great product!

• Like 2

That's awesome! I would love to have that problem lol. Everyone's etsy success stories are so inspirational!

It took me a couple tried to find my voice on Etsy, but i learned a ton along the way.

Maybe a sort of Etsy shop and/or web site critique within this board could be an option? So long as suggestions are constructive it could really help boost our shops.

• Like 1

Personally, I would LOVE to see some of your shops! It might be a little devastating for my bank account, but my friends and coworkers would benefit :) :) :)

Edited by MLG

What a great topic this is....I'm in such awe of you all, Karen, Suzy and Tall Tayle with your Etsy shops.  I commend you all for sticking in there and taking that journey till it happened.  I've wanted for such a long long time to do a shop on Etsy and would still love too but still don't really fully understand how it works.  I must be a blundering idiot, i swear.....I keep reading and reading all the posts put up and am trying to understand it...lol....I'm so happy for you all and thankyou for being as informative as you have been.  I too as Missy said would love to see your shops and websites for inspiration.  I've seen yours Suzy and its beautiful!  So well done and eye catching.

Well I can dream.......lol  I too like Karen says love to get up and work in my jammies making candles.  Maybe down the road I'll try and figure out a shop in Etsy, but for right now, that huge account I landed with the apple orchard is keeping me busy and it's only the beginning for me.  If I stay right on top like I have been maybe I can quit my jobs that I hate, hate, hate and go gung ho with the apple orchard account....

Great topic here!

You all have my interest at heart!

Trappeur

• Like 3

May I ask a question about blogging and FB? (Here in Europe Etsy is still really small. I do have an Etsy shop as well, but it is hardly existant so far as there are hardly any European customers on Etsy) I'm probably lacking imagination but what do you blog about with a candle business? I know you could do postings about how to make different candles, maybe a scent posting here and there, but is that enough? Is that interesting enough? Whenever I read a blog and see posting with about 20 lines of texts and about 15-20 pics per posting I always think I could never do that - alone that excessive photographing, and then pics should be high quality etc.

I'm about building my FB page (is that a group if you have a business page? I'm such an idiot when it comes to social media - maybe not only then ;) ) but I'm not sure how often you have to post there in order to be "in" or "hot" or whatever it is you call a good FB page.

Now that sales are almost zero (well, they are zero since almost three weeks now.... *dead horse*) I have time to think such things over but I'm hesitating...on the other hand I don't have any budget for advertising etc.

Thanks for any input!

Great questions Ubre....I've wondered about that myself.

I've also seen people who blog have their business set up right on their blogging website, so that interests me too..  Geesh, since you out of the country and Etsy is not that big there, maybe you should start reading blogs in your country and develop from there??? I don't know.....

Trappeur

• Like 1

Great questions Ubre....I've wondered about that myself.

I've also seen people who blog have their business set up right on their blogging website, so that interests me too..  Geesh, since you out of the country and Etsy is not that big there, maybe you should start reading blogs in your country and develop from there??? I don't know.....

Trappeur

I agree. Get in on it before it gets crowded! TeeHee :) It is only going to cost to list for now until people start buying. I would also not list all at once. If I remember right, the older listings get pushed down with newer. So try to keep yours up by listing as often as possible. NOW, you veterans can surely correct me on this. I might be completely wrong. It has been known to happen. lol

Now that really makes sense to me....I know they say you should have a lot of listings...but when you think about it the more you keep putting up listings the more your shop stays closer to the front of the page....correct me if I am wrong.  

And the other thing I was thinking about is (correct me if I am wrong here) if  for example you have 1 style jar - say a 16oz canning jar that you have in maybe 7 or 8 scents....do you list each scent as 1 listing and put up a picture of that one jar in that scent with the appropriate label on it instead of people clicking on that jar and then a box opens up and you get to pick you choice scent?

I was looking at Etsy one day and was really studying all the different shops and the way they present themselves and then started looking at the prices and looking at the reviews and how much they sold and it amazes me how some make candles and sell them for so cheap...like the 16oz jar I was just talking about...people selling them for dirt cheap like 5 or 6bucks or so give or take or 3 or 4 if you buy and you get them all for 1 great cheap price.  Now you know darn well they can't possibly sell them wholesale as there is no profit margin there.  Now when I see things like that, I would think that would hurt so many others trying to sell them for 12 bucks a jar....

And some of them really need to take lessons in presentation....I see some blurry pictures.... horrible labels.....and even unbelievable off centered wicks with terrible looking tops.  And some of these people sell lots!  I have always been a sticker for presentation, presentation with a nice looking label.  That's your signature there.  If I see a product that has a shabby looking picture of it, I move right on to the next picture.  I figure if that person can't take the time to present the product beautifully, then that product is not a quality product....now that is just me.  I don't know..you really need to anayize what you want to do and the best way of going about it.  Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Trappeur

• Like 2

One thing that interests me is how people go about marketing themselves - getting out there in front of an audience, advertising themselves.  When I had my interior design shop and rustic home furnishings shop for all those years....yes, it took lots and lots of dollars to advertise in magazines, having a billboard, etc, etc.  I had to develop my own niche which set me apart from others, developing your own style/look.  It took a long long time and eventually it panned out to the point that I was so busy, I even slept at my shop on my log beds as I was up 1/2 the night always rearranging my shop, putting out new merchandise and just playing catchup on the things I didn't have time for during the day.  It was pure exhaust and to the point that I would go through burn out many times....but I was so consumed with my work but the most important thing was I loved, loved what I did.  I grew so fast and went from 1 room little log cabin that I rented in town to a huge old barn in less than a year and even that wasn't big enough for me, but I had to stop somewhere as bigger doesn't always mean better as it could very quickly get out of hand so I concentrated on what I had and made that work.  As in the candle and soap world, the same thing applied to me in the home furnishings business....competition was fierce and always trying to stay ahead of the next person meant developing my own line and exclusiveness.  It is horrible when you see someone trying to copy you and actually carry some of the same products.   I would work with vendors and gave them enough business monthly that I could ask for an exclusive that they don't sell to some other shop in town.....but "always" eventually they never lived up to their word as I did.......The ole mighly buck was more appealing to them that they could land a 1/2 dozen more accounts in town as this town was growing so quickly.  So I would drop that line.....yep, I stayed so frustrated at times when I worked so hard to achieve what I did...it was so disappointing.  I would even fly out west to do my buying so that I had different merchandise  that no one else carried.  It's a tough tough marketing world out there to say the least.

But getting back to the discussion of what I somehow slipped off on (lol) was talking about marketing here.  I also have been thinking of blogging.  I love to read all sorts of different blogs.  They are so personable to me and I love how people talk about their daily lives and their business.  It's very interesting.  And I see people have their own stores in their blogs.  But one thing confuses me.  It's about links I see in blogs of other peoples businesses (the same type!)  Even people who have websites have links....Now my question is......why in the world do people attach links to their sites? Why in the world would you want other peoples businesses attached to yours when they offer the same products.....candles or soaps?  Your actually sending your prospective customer that you want to sell to from your site to other peoples sites?  I sure wouldn't do that......

Trappeur

I'll try to reply with things i've picked up one by 1. Lots of good questions here....

Now that really makes sense to me....I know they say you should have a lot of listings...but when you think about it the more you keep putting up listings the more your shop stays closer to the front of the page....correct me if I am wrong.  

That used to be the case. We would all list new things, or relist throughout the key search times of the day and get to the front. The most recent changes were about "relevancy" if you out up listings "relevant" to the buyers key word search with that particular string of key words in the name and tags you should appear closer to the front regardless of timing of the listings.

And the other thing I was thinking about is (correct me if I am wrong here) if  for example you have 1 style jar - say a 16oz canning jar that you have in maybe 7 or 8 scents....do you list each scent as 1 listing and put up a picture of that one jar in that scent with the appropriate label on it instead of people clicking on that jar and then a box opens up and you get to pick you choice scent?

This i have found to be true. I tried single listings with scent options and watched sales drop. It'l, IMO, a phenomenon of laziness and self-protection. Buyers want to see a pic of the exact item they will be buying. When making selections from a pick list what you see may not be what you get.

I was looking at Etsy one day and was really studying all the different shops and the way they present themselves and then started looking at the prices and looking at the reviews and how much they sold and it amazes me how some make candles and sell them for so cheap...like the 16oz jar I was just talking about...people selling them for dirt cheap like 5 or 6bucks or so give or take or 3 or 4 if you buy and you get them all for 1 great cheap price.  Now you know darn well they can't possibly sell them wholesale as there is no profit margin there.  Now when I see things like that, I would think that would hurt so many others trying to sell them for 12 bucks a jar....

pricing is all over the place. Those cheapo prices appeal to a specific set of buyers, but not necessarily "your" buyers. I am a chandler. Why would i essentially pay $14 for a 2"widex3"tall pillar candle with $12 in shipping? But i did because the shop was exactly what i wanted to shop from. So i along with 20k other buyers did, and waited several weeks for that little simple candle.

And some of them really need to take lessons in presentation....I see some blurry pictures.... horrible labels.....and even unbelievable off centered wicks with terrible looking tops.  And some of these people sell lots!  I have always been a sticker for presentation, presentation with a nice looking label.  That's your signature there.  If I see a product that has a shabby looking picture of it, I move right on to the next picture.  I figure if that person can't take the time to present the product beautifully, then that product is not a quality product....now that is just me.  I don't know..you really need to anayize what you want to do and the best way of going about it.  Well, I guess it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

It all comes down to your branding and tour market. For a while some commercial sellers were down grading photo quality to make themselves appear more hand made.

In the end, cater to "your" market. Play with details until you reach them and they respond. I don't think price is the way to do it, in person or online. Even hobbyists need money to keep the lights on.

• Like 1

What you want with a blog or website is to get found when someone does a search. One way is to have as many valid links on other web pages. The more valid links that a business has on other websites, the better chance that business has of getting into the top listings when someone searches for, let's say, "100% handmade soy candles". So what bloggers often do is ask other bloggers to provide a link in exchange for the other blogger doing the same. There are MANY other variables that go into Search Engine Optimization (SEO), but that is one of them; and the reason some have links to other websites. I would probably exchange links with other businesses that aren't in competition with me. So maybe other bloggers who sell handmade items, just not candles.

GoldieMN

Ok, I have read all you've written but still have questions in my head. Yesterday I have set up my facebook page again and launched an ad with facebook (which seems to be more successful than Google Adwords which killed me financially), got some likes and two orders (yeah, finally again after almost three weeks with zero sales). I also sent out a newsletter (I only have 74 people to send to, from my business), 16 opened so far, 6 clicked. No orders. It is obvious how many recipients you need in order to get sales from such a newsletter (and people are just fed up, even though I offer 20% on FO and 10% on wax for this weekend).

I still ponder about blogging but still have no clue what could there be interesting to blog about. I'd love to blog about simple, sustainable, rural, frugal living which is my passion. I'd know what to blog about, each and every day. But with candle making? Maybe it's because it is just a means of earnign money for me, I have to admit that I have lost my passion for it the last years, even it is still fun sometimes and even more when sales are good. And even if I had a blog aboutn the simple life I'd write it in English just because I wouldn't want the people in our village to know what I am doing (you have to have a "serious" job, not candle making or blogging...)

Trappeur, you said something important: the skill of marketing yourself. I have that skill, but only when my knowledge is asked for. I'm quite good at English history, literature etc. and I used to be a teacher for adults for that. I knwo ym stuff and I'm proud of it so I have no problems marketing myself. Not so with candles. I make high quality candles, my supplies are among the best in Europe (my FO's ARE the best in Europe, I know this for a fact) but still I have the wrong attitude. It is always like "I didn't study for doing this in the end". Absolutely silly, I know, but I can't get it out of my head somehow. But that's me. I'm that complicated in so many things, so I have to ignore it and just do my work. And maybe some blogging :P .

Edited by ubure

Ok, I have read all you've written but still have questions in my head. Yesterday I have set up my facebook page again and launched an ad with facebook (which seems to be more successful than Google Adwords which killed me financially), got some likes and two orders (yeah, finally again after almost three weeks with zero sales). I also sent out a newsletter (I only have 74 people to send to, from my business), 16 opened so far, 6 clicked. No orders. It is obvious how many recipients you need in order to get sales from such a newsletter (and people are just fed up, even though I offer 20% on FO and 10% on wax for this weekend).

I still ponder about blogging but still have no clue what could there be interesting to blog about. I'd love to blog about simple, sustainable, rural, frugal living which is my passion. I'd know what to blog about, each and every day. But with candle making? Maybe it's because it is just a means of earnign money for me, I have to admit that I have lost my passion for it the last years, even it is still fun sometimes and even more when sales are good. And even if I had a blog aboutn the simple life I'd write it in English just because I wouldn't want the people in our village to know what I am doing (you have to have a "serious" job, not candle making or blogging...)

Trappeur, you said something important: the skill of marketing yourself. I have that skill, but only when my knowledge is asked for. I'm quite good at English history, literature etc. and I used to be a teacher for adults for that. I knwo ym stuff and I'm proud of it so I have no problems marketing myself. Not so with candles. I make high quality candles, my supplies are among the best in Europe (my FO's ARE the best in Europe, I know this for a fact) but still I have the wrong attitude. It is always like "I didn't study for doing this in the end". Absolutely silly, I know, but I can't get it out of my head somehow. But that's me. I'm that complicated in so many things, so I have to ignore it and just do my work. And maybe some blogging :P .

If it were me, I would blog about something I love. For you that could be simple, frugal life. I would have a "candle corner" or something similar where I would review one of my scents. . .maybe a "scent of the month". Have a clickable link for people to purchase. Perhaps a discount for that scent that month. You could include other information about candle safety, differences in waxes, how to's, etc. if you wanted to, but it wouldn't be necessary. Remember, you are writing about what you love. Then I would get the word out about your newsletter/blog. With the skill of marketing yourself, you are way ahead of the game than most of us.

GoldieMN