Does TD make your micas bleed?

Candybee

I don't know why I am hung up on using titanium dioxide but I use it in every soap batch I do a tri-color swirl with white as one of the colors. I've been putting it into the soap batter before I split it out to color. So each color batch actually has some of the TD already mixed in it before I add in the mica.

Lately I have been wondering if its why my swirls and color combos are looking sort of washed out, faded, or bleeding into the next color. Is this the TD or am I just not using the right micas or enough? My micas are all made for CP soaping and come from TKB and Nurture. They have always made brilliant colors and swirls for me in the past. Not sure when I started using TD all the time but its been for the past several weeks or months.

Thanks. I think its more of a habit I need to break. I know I should just use the TD in in the 'white' color batch but its just become a habit to put it in the whole batch. I think I started doing it that way because I SB the batch with the TD in it before I add in the lye to make sure I don't have TD specks. Since I've been doing it that way no more specks. I tried to color my batches using TD for the white after I add my lye and then split the batch into separate bowls to color. The TD doesn't always blend well that way.

I master batch oil dispersible TiO2 with FCO in a bullet bottle. Stick a couple stainless steel nail polish mixing beads and it is super smooth, ready to use at a moment's notice. No specs any more unless i am impatient and use a fresh mix without waiting long enough to wet the particles. No glycerin rivers.

• Like 1

Ok, so you mix td with an oil and FCO? in a bullet bottle? and stick a couple of stainless steel nail polish mixing beads? I kinda think I know what you're doing but not completely sure. Would you break that down for me?Steve

i mix oil dispersible TD with FCO in a bullet bottle. Then yes, I add a couple stainless steel mixing beads to shake and break up the TD.

Sounds like the same principle for those spray paint cans with the mixing balls in them. You can hear them mixing up the paint when the shake the can before spraying.

Clever idea TT!! I suppose you could use marbles too? Where do you get the mixing beads? Hardware store?

i mix oil dispersible TD with FCO in a bullet bottle. Then yes, I add a couple stainless steel mixing beads to shake and break up the TD.

I do this will all my micas, but I don't use FCO. I use one of my soaping oils, usually Almond oil or Sunflower oil. (that way I don't have to add the additional oil on my ingredient list)