Show of hands

beckemmons

How many of you buy straight paraffin and add stuff to make your own blends and how many buy preblended and just use it? If you make your own blend what do you feel like the benefits of it are compared to preblended? Not asking for recipes here just curious.

Guest OldGlory

I do both depending on the finished product I want. As long as my client is happy, I will add paraffin to my soy to decrease or eliminate frosting. I will add a tiny bit of pillar paraffin to melts to firm them up. I use straight 464 in tins, and I have used straight (?) 6006, but I have also added 464 to 6006. I have made pillars with 1343, 4625, and 1274.

I'm all over the place!

I am just as bad old glory lol. I use 464 for candles but will mix paraffin or beeswax with for the frosting. Use comfort blend for my paraffin candles but also mix it with 4794 for melts have used straight paraffin a d additives for pillars and 1343 both with good results. How is 4625 gonna get a box this weekend?

Guest OldGlory

Please don't misunderstand - some people love 4625 for all the reasons I don't love it for pillars. To me,  it's "plain jane" - I prefer wax with more character for pillars, so I choose 1343 and 1274. 4625 has a high FO load capability, up to 9%. Those 2 qualities make it a perfect addition to soy for some of the melts I make.

My wholesale client wants 100% soy so I don't blend for them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use only paraffin for my melts, and I blend two of them together.  Blending seems to allow me to get exactly what I want in terms of FO load and melting temps to work in my warmers.  When I first started making my own melts I tried a para-soy blend and it was nice, but not exactly what I was looking for in performance.  I will admit, having to just measure out and melt only one wax that was already made into flakes was a dream compared to chopping up huge slabs of two different waxes (one being a pillar wax).  :)