Advice on Working with J223 (4633)?

Would anyone be willing to offer some thoughts/advice on why this is happening? I've started testing out J223 (4633) from Lonestar, and every single candle I've poured gets these lines or sometimes even areas of darker color. I've tried different pouring temps ranging from 150 to about 178, I've heated the jars, not heated the jars, I've done some with color chips and some with liquid color, and used 6% to 6.5% FO (depending on the scent). I even tried reheating one with a heat gun after it was setting but the lines came back. I also add 0.3% UV inhibitor to each one but no other additives.

I'm not sure what else I should be looking at to know where I'm going wrong. If anyone would be willing to offer some help, I sure would appreciate it. Thanks! 

post-14873-0-58387000-1437372070_thumb.j

They're 11.5 oz tumblers from Peak. I've done a few Glass Glow palm and Sparkle Light palm candles in the same type of container out of the same box, and they came out beautiful. No weird streaks or lines.

Also of note, the lines don't seem to affect the burn of the candle. I've burned a few already all the way through, and nothing weird happened when it got to the area where the streaks were. No odd coloring or anything weird with the fragrance. Nothing happened to the flame. It just burned like the rest of the candle. So I'm really puzzled. Just don't know which direction to go at this point. I'm enjoying this wax otherwise and I don't want to give up on it. I feel like there's probably a simple solution to this and I'll face-palm myself once it's figured out, lol.

Those look like pour lines to me. Its possible to get pour lines doing a single pour. They can be minimized by a steady even pour. Also, try pouring a little faster. Just make sure its steady and not jerky.

If you have the same outcome my next guess is its something about the glass at that level. The only other thing I can think of is try a heat gun blast inside the jars the moment prior to pouring.  You could also try putting the jars in a styrofoam cooler box to help keep the air temp from fluctuating or keep any drafts from the pouring area.

This is not a characteristic of the wax. Its got to be either your pouring method or the jar.

The jars are heavier at the bottom so it could also be the wax is not cooling at the same temp at top and bottom levels. Are you placing the jars on a cookie sheet or rack when you pour? That could also make a difference if its the jar.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

Thanks so much for the advice, Candybee. I'm glad you confirmed it's the not wax. I didn't think it was, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Now I'm trying to recall if my pouring was jerky. I think I poured pretty smoothly into the jars. I've always tried to pour fast but not too fast, but maybe my fast isn't fast enough, so I'll be more conscious of it next time.

As far as the surface on which I place my jars, the two in the picture I poured with the jars sitting on a small baking rack on top of my table. However, I'm drawing a blank on whether or not I used the baking rack every time. So is it that the rack is allowing too much air to circulate around the bottom, cooling it quicker? And pouring with the jars on a cookie sheet or something similar would retain some of the heat at the bottom and allow for the candle to cool more uniformly? Did I understand that correctly?

Thanks so much for this. You have given me more to look for and be conscious of. I really appreciate it!

• Like 1

I suggested using the rack to allow air to circulate around and under the jars. You want to try to keep the whole jar and its contents at the same temp as the wax cools.

One of the reasons I don't use heavy bottom jars is because the top and bottom tend to cool the wax at different temps in the jar creating uneven looking wax. Its one of the things I am thinking may be contributing to wax lines.

If you can figure out a way to keep the wax at the bottom the same temp as the wax at the top of the candle you may solve your problem.

The other idea is that the lines may be pour lines. In which case you need to practice pouring the wax into the jar with a steady smooth pour trying to avoid any jerking.

• Like 1

I suggested using the rack to allow air to circulate around and under the jars. You want to try to keep the whole jar and its contents at the same temp as the wax cools.

One of the reasons I don't use heavy bottom jars is because the top and bottom tend to cool the wax at different temps in the jar creating uneven looking wax. Its one of the things I am thinking may be contributing to wax lines.

If you can figure out a way to keep the wax at the bottom the same temp as the wax at the top of the candle you may solve your problem.

The other idea is that the lines may be pour lines. In which case you need to practice pouring the wax into the jar with a steady smooth pour trying to avoid any jerking.

Thanks for the clarification. Just got a delivery of more wax yesterday and my FOs came in today, so I'll probably be testing more tomorrow or the next day. I will definitely watch my pouring and see what I can do about keeping the jar at a uniform temp as it cools. Hopefully I'll be more successful this next go around. I'll post pics of my next attempt as soon as I get them done. Thanks again, Candybee!

Try pouring at 185 to 190 degrees and monitor the temp from your pour pot. You should get a bit of pull away at the wick, which can be fixed with a heat gun. Those look like a combination of jump lines and loss of adhesion. Weird that they occur identically. HTH

Steve

• Like 1

Try pouring at 185 to 190 degrees and monitor the temp from your pour pot. You should get a bit of pull away at the wick, which can be fixed with a heat gun. Those look like a combination of jump lines and loss of adhesion. Weird that they occur identically. HTH

Steve

Thanks, Steve. I thought it was weird too that it happens in the same area on every candle. I will definitely try your suggestion. I believe the hottest I poured any of them was 178, right around there, so I'll try pouring hotter. The shrinkage was definitely more noticeable with the hottest pour, but no matter what temp I tried, I still had the lines. I may look back at my notes and pictures to see which candle it was that I poured the hottest and compare the lines with the cooler ones. I know they all had them, but I'm wondering if they were all to the same extent now that you suggested pouring hotter.

I'll try it out and see how it goes. If the worst I have to do is heat gun the top, then I'll be fine with that, lol. As long as the lines go away. Thank you all so much!

I think the problem has been solved! I gave the containers a quick blast with the heat gun right before pouring and poured at 188-190 range for both of these, and so far I see no lines! Did the vanilla-colored one yesterday and the blue one today, and so far things look awesome for both.

Thanks again for all the help, Steve and Candybee. Y'all rock! :rockon:

post-14873-0-80148200-1437968569_thumb.j

• Like 1