Exactly How Volatile is Paraffin Wax?

I am Very new to Paraffin Wax. I only use Soy at this Point. I see a lot of post about Paraffin being dangerous. Can you use Presto post to heat it that have the element inside? I Have a double boiler but its messy. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO MAKE SOME COLOR AND JUST REHEAT IT FOR DIPPING PURPOSE.  I am nervous . I do not want to blow up. LOL I know its nuts but when I read online its so confusing. one says yes one says no. So I thought you all would know. Because obviously you are the best!!!!!! Thank you all

I heat my paraffin in my turkey fryer all the time. Paraffin is not more dangerous than soy. Both can catch fire from to high of heat, its all about controlling your heat. Neither should ever be heated over an open flame unless a double boiler method is used. Now I would never use a stove to heat my wax with out a double boiler, your heat can really fluctuate on a regular stove top.

• Like 1

Exactly what Vicky said. 

The only thing I ever use is a presto pot to heat my wax, and until about a month ago or so, I used paraffin almost exclusively for about 17 years. Never heat it on direct heat, and watch your temps (I don't let mine get above 215° ever, and very rarely over 200°) and you will be fine. 

I am Very new to Paraffin Wax. I only use Soy at this Point. I see a lot of post about Paraffin being dangerous. Can you use Presto post to heat it that have the element inside? I Have a double boiler but its messy. I WANT TO BE ABLE TO MAKE SOME COLOR AND JUST REHEAT IT FOR DIPPING PURPOSE.  I am nervous . I do not want to blow up. LOL I know its nuts but when I read online its so confusing. one says yes one says no. So I thought you all would know. Because obviously you are the best!!!!!! Thank you allHi

Hi Stuber,

Don't be nervous at all ! Paraffin is an awesome wax and the only wax I have used in my 15 years of business. Good stuff it is!! There are a few people out there who spread falsehoods about paraffin wax....pay no attention to them. Just like everyone else said above, follow your instructions and don't overheat your wax. If you go to Peak Candle ,down at the bottom of the 1st page and to your left you will see these options (see below) on instructions on how to make container candles using paraffin and how to make several other types of candles. Actually...you can click on them below.  :yes: . Have fun and keep us posted on your progress! :)

m30.jpg   Candle Making Basics   m30.jpg   Candle Making Info   m30.jpg   Candle Making Ideas   m30.jpg   Soap Making   m30.jpg   Community Links

Edited by puma52
  • Like 2

What kind of paraffin wax do you all prefer for container candles? Is there one that has a "better" HT? There are so many varieties and I am curious for future reference.

What kind of paraffin wax do you all prefer for container candles? Is there one that has a "better" HT? There are so many varieties and I am curious for future reference.

It varies from person to person. That's why testing is so important. What works for me and is great for me, other people don't like, and vice/verse - I think almost everyone on this board uses a different wax, or a different combo of waxes. 

Also, wax is not the only determining factor to hot or cold throw. There is quality and type of scent, there's wicking, type of jars, etc., It all plays a part in how your candle performs. 

Best advice, pick a wax, work with it, play with all the variables, get to know it, and test a lot before moving on to the next "newest" thing. 

Once you pick a wax you think you want to work with, then there is a wealth of information to be had here on the boards and in way of advice, but it's easier for us to work with and answer specifics rather than "what's best" because of the simple fact, what's best for one may not work at all of another. 

Good luck! :) You'll have fun playing. 

Thank you Jcandleattic. I started out with 464 and had a terrible time getting HT with it (even after several weeks of cure time). I finally moved in to 6006 and love it. However, I am getting curious about straight paraffin. I have my very FIRST craft fair in late September (which is stressing me out a little! lol). Depending on how it goes, I may try a couple more before Christmas. Once things settle down, I am definately going to play around with it :-)

Thank you Jcandleattic. I started out with 464 and had a terrible time getting HT with it (even after several weeks of cure time). I finally moved in to 6006 and love it. However, I am getting curious about straight paraffin. I have my very FIRST craft fair in late September (which is stressing me out a little! lol). Depending on how it goes, I may try a couple more before Christmas. Once things settle down, I am definately going to play around with it :-)

Hi MLG,

I use 4786 100% paraffin container wax. Even though it is a double pour....it makes the best candles as far as I am concerned and is totally worth my efforts. Lots of my customers have told me...your candles are the best smelling candles around. I cannot tell you how many of them have said they smell better than Yankee and Virginia candles. The 4786 has the most awesome throw out there I think. My 15 years of using only this wax as my container wax and my success with it says so.  :biggrin:  :yes:

Edited by puma52

I'm going to have to breakdown and buy some of this stuff! Puma52, your enthusiasm sold me! 8 oz square Mason Jars!!!!! Let the testing begin!!!!!!! Good grief! My husband's gonna flip when the UPS guy gets here! Bahahaha!!!! Thanks everyone for your input. This site has truly been a blessing to me. The information you all so freely give is absolutely priceless and much appreciated - So many mistakes have been avoided using it :-)

• Like 1

Wax doesn't 'blow up'. When you purchase a wax it should have the manufacturer's info re the flash point. You should always know the flashpoint of the wax you work with. The flash point is the temperature the wax can ignite if it comes in contact with a heat source. In general most candle waxes have flash points in the 500 degree F range but each varies so you always want to check and make sure you have that info.

Since the heating range for most waxes is anywhere from 175 to 210 degrees F it should not be a problem. For example I heat my palm wax to 195-205 degrees F. Soy and paraffin waxes are typically heated at a lower range from 175 - 195 depending on the wax.

When you work with wax its important to understand and know its flash point and melting point. The flash point (FP) is the temperature the wax can ignite into flames and the melting point (MP) is the temperature that will begin to melt the wax.

• Like 1

I'm going to have to breakdown and buy some of this stuff! Puma52, your enthusiasm sold me! 8 oz square Mason Jars!!!!! Let the testing begin!!!!!!! Good grief! My husband's gonna flip when the UPS guy gets here! Bahahaha!!!! Thanks everyone for your input. This site has truly been a blessing to me. The information you all so freely give is absolutely priceless and much appreciated - So many mistakes have been avoided using it :-)

You won't regret it MLG....those 8 oz square masons are my biggest seller. Stick a 51-32-18 zink wick in that jar and see what you think. :)

• Like 2

Definitely 8oz jars are big sellers. I use the 8oz jelly jar and sell a ton of them. I don't really care too much for them but thats what my customers want. Sometimes you just have to pay attention to what your customers want instead of what you want if you want to stay in the business.