First Time Trying Palm

Well, here's my first go with palm. Did I do okay for the first try? Any suggestions? I thought it came out so pretty, but if my inexperienced eye is missing something, please feel free to let me know.

I've read a lot of Topofmurrayhill's posts about the different palm waxes and tried to take some hints and tips from those posts before trying this out.

I can feel the texture of the patterns on the candle surface. Is that what I should be feeling or should it have a smoother, glossy finish? Can starburst palm get a smooth finish? Not that I'm worried about it...just wondering so I know if I'm on the right path.

This was so fun! Sorry if the pics aren't the best.

post-14873-0-06780200-1433471933_thumb.j

post-14873-0-87036000-1433471933_thumb.j

• Like 3

Well, here's my first go with palm. Did I do okay for the first try? Any suggestions? I thought it came out so pretty, but if my inexperienced eye is missing something, please feel free to let me know.

I've read a lot of Topofmurrayhill's posts about the different palm waxes and tried to take some hints and tips from those posts before trying this out.

I can feel the texture of the patterns on the candle surface. Is that what I should be feeling or should it have a smoother, glossy finish? Can starburst palm get a smooth finish? Not that I'm worried about it...just wondering so I know if I'm on the right path.

This was so fun! Sorry if the pics aren't the best.

Looks good. Did you do the additive trick to get it out of the mold easily? Starburst is the one that sticks. Using the stearic or some feather wax with it also helps it set up a little more solid.

Now go ahead and see how it burns.

As far as the surface texture is concerned, the IGI waxes are very individual. Glass Glow feels crystalline but with hard, smooth crystals. Feather has its own special texture but also feels hard. Tortoise is glossy concrete. Starburst, as you've noticed, has a slightly more unusual feel that maybe we would call - I dunno - cottony? That's just the way it is.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I have no experience with palm wax but I think your pillar is lovely! Which wax is your favorite so far?

Beautiful. 

Yes, palm pillars have a different surface feel to them than paraffin pillars. I think you did great. 

As Top said, now see how it burns. 

You will notice also that palm pillars (well, any palm really) burns differently than other waxes as well... 

• Like 1

Thanks so much everyone!

Top---nope, didn't add any additives except UV inhibitor and was surprised that it came out easily. I'll add that to my notes about the stearic and feather palm, but I just tugged the wick a little and it slide out nicely.

Trappeur--did this one in absinthe. Along with the new wax I decided to try out some new fragrances too. I like the cold throw of it so far!

OldGlory-- so far I'm liking 1343 for paraffin pillars, but I just got some 1274 to try out so we'll see how that goes. I just tried out some 4633 for the first time after going through all my 2281. Not sure how I feel about it yet. I wanted to just stick with paraffin for now and really get to know it, but I couldn't help myself with the palm wax. It's just so cool looking, I had to get some and try it out, lol.

Jcandleattic-- Thanks for confirming that the surface is supposed to feel different. I'm going to light it up this weekend and watch how the burning goes.

Thanks again, everyone!

It looks beautiful.  I usually use the feather palm , but bought a batch of starburst.  I must say I love the design, but had a horrible time getting it out of the molds at times.  It was strange sometimes came right out other times, I had to put in the freezer for a day then it would come out.  It burns great.  I always tell people the tip about burning it to the edge the first burn so that it burns correctly the rest of the way.  I am a palm lover....

Cindy

• Like 1