Yes I did and WHY did I wait so long?

2 hours ago, puma52 said:

Yes I am. I love it. The best part of it is , is that you don't have to stop making candles until YOU are ready to stop making candles. :) No waiting for wax to melt once it is melted. I just keep adding slabs throughout making candles (never letting the wax get low) and I can crank them out as long as I want. Love that! :)

Good to know, thank you!

Here is another question...I use several different waxes in my tart blend and I'm in the habit of stirring the wax in my Presto Pot several times per batch. Do I need to do that in any melter? Or does the wax "mixture" stay mixed once it is all melted? I would think it stays mixed because it doesn't "separate" if I leave wax in the pot to cool and solidify. Just wondering...

• Like 1

On 4/17/2016 at 6:17 PM, maryta said:

Good to know, thank you!

Here is another question...I use several different waxes in my tart blend and I'm in the habit of stirring the wax in my Presto Pot several times per batch. Do I need to do that in any melter? Or does the wax "mixture" stay mixed once it is all melted? I would think it stays mixed because it doesn't "separate" if I leave wax in the pot to cool and solidify. Just wondering...

I add beeswax to the mix as I add paraffin and I just dump in. Maybe I should stir. I am figuring as I disturb the melted wax as I add more slabs and beeswax, it kinda stirs itself. I have never really thought about it to tell you the truth. The candles turn out fine. But, if you would want to stir, I say do whatever makes you feel better about your batches of wax. :)

• Like 1

Ok I have a stupid question for you. I found a great deal on a water jacket melter on craigs list. Brought it home and filled it with water so the open cup on the side was about half full then turned it on. I ran some errands as it had a bit to melt it came half filled with wax. When I got home the water was bubbling out the side opening onto the counter. Does it do this often? Have you had this happen? I am just afraid to run it with too little water.

I have no clue what make or size it is as there are no part numbers other than the heating element. I believe it is a PW something as it has the removable heater core. It sits 18" H and is 20" W so I am thinking between 35 and 70 pounds. Last are you able to take a pic of the knob for me. Mine is missing so I am curious what it looks like and where to set it temp wise/

Thanks,

Karen in MA

12 hours ago, kfintoni said:

Ok I have a stupid question for you. I found a great deal on a water jacket melter on craigs list. Brought it home and filled it with water so the open cup on the side was about half full then turned it on. I ran some errands as it had a bit to melt it came half filled with wax. When I got home the water was bubbling out the side opening onto the counter. Does it do this often? Have you had this happen? I am just afraid to run it with too little water.

I have no clue what make or size it is as there are no part numbers other than the heating element. I believe it is a PW something as it has the removable heater core. It sits 18" H and is 20" W so I am thinking between 35 and 70 pounds. Last are you able to take a pic of the knob for me. Mine is missing so I am curious what it looks like and where to set it temp wise/

Thanks,

Karen in MA

If it is boiling out it is pretty hot. Stick a thermometer in there and see how hot it is getting. Mine does not ever get hot enough to boil. (I set the temp dial at about 150 for the most part for beeswax, 175-180 for soy)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kfintoni said:

Thanks,

Karen in MA

That is a great question. My melter has a water gauge and it keeps me from pouring too much water into my melter. It has never overflowed or boiled over on me. I am going to load up a couple of pics for you. Maybe between the pics and calling Wax Melters perhaps they can fix ya up. Stay tuned. :)

Edited by puma52

10 hours ago, maryta said:

Thank you for the info!  I keep looking for ways to streamline my process :)

You'd definitely stream line production with one of these. You would never look back. Easy on the ole back too. :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kfintoni said:

Thanks,

Karen in MA

Picture one is the temp/water gauge..if you look real close you can see the water line just a little way down from the top of the gauge...upper right is the water inlet..I keep covered with foil to help with evaporation and keep the critters out.  Pic 2 is the replaceable immersion heater piece. Pic 3 ...you can see the Temp Gauge better and yes it is upside down...my husband screwed that puppy in as far as he could go and it wouldn't go any further...we were afraid to try to screw any tighter. I don't care...I can read it just fine upside down. :laugh2: I sure hope this helps ya. :)

IMG_0739use this.jpg

IMG_0741use this.jpg

IMG_0742use this.jpg

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1

IMG_8850.JPGIMG_8851.JPGIMG_8849.JPGIMG_8847.JPGIMG_8851.JPG

Thanks Puma52 for the pictures. I am attaching pics of mine. Please excuse the messy work area. I had to do some rearranging for the new melter. I am also showing a pic of it in regards to the turkey fryer that I am unsure if I will keep or sell at this point.

Karen in MA

17 hours ago, puma52 said:

Picture one is the temp/water gauge..if you look real close you can see the water line just a little way down from the top of the gauge...upper right is the water inlet..I keep covered with foil to help with evaporation and keep the critters out.  Pic 2 is the replaceable immersion heater piece. Pic 3 ...you can see the Temp Gauge better and yes it is upside down...my husband screwed that puppy in as far as he could go and it wouldn't go any further...we were afraid try to screw any tighter. I don't care...I can read it just fine upside down. :laugh2: I sure hope this helps ya. :)

IMG_8848.JPG

Edited by kfintoni

3 hours ago, kfintoni said:

Ok sorry everyone I have no clue what is going on and I cannot rotate any of my pics.

:laugh2:No problem Kfintoni.....remember my temperature gauge is upside down....  You have 2 nice wax melters there. Where is the knob missing? Maybe someone has a melter like this and can help you find it. :)

Edited by puma52

25 minutes ago, puma52 said:

:laugh2:No problem Kfintoni.....remember my temperature gauge is upside down....  You have 2 nice wax melters there. Where is the knob missing? Maybe someone has a melter like this and can help you find it. :)

There is no knob for the temp dial. My problem is I have no clue what kind of melter it is. The only name on it anywhere is the tempco. I guess I will just continue to use plyers to turn it on and off.

Karen in MA

4 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Puma ... i have a question. when your melting a lot of wax + you want to make several fragrances, how do you know how much FO to add since the wax

is melted ? or this this not a good idea ? 

I may be misunderstanding your question...You don't add fragrance to the melter. You would weigh out smaller amounts of melted wax to a pour pot and fragrance that.

Edited by Faerywren
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Yeah ... sometimes i do come off as confusing  lol ! my question was how do you know how much of to add to the melted wax since it is fluid 

It is always by weight, so weigh the wax, add the right amount of FO for that weight. :) Stir. Pour. 

• Like 2