Has anyone noticed this...

Maybe it's just me, but I have seemed to notice this a few times. You get a 1oz sample and make a candle. The throw is awesome, so you go ahead and order a big bottle. Make some candles with the FO from the big bottle, do everything the exact same way and the scent throw is not as strong. You can notice this most times as soon as you open the big bottle that it's not as strong as the 1oz sample. Are some suppliers known to "water down" a little on the big bottles?

Guest OldGlory

No, I have never noticed that. I've been buying fragrance oils for 15 years.

I would definitely call the seller and ask if the formulation has changed.

Edited by OldGlory

Guest OldGlory

Ray, it could be your nose - maybe you have spring allergies that are making it difficult. But - it could also be a change in the formula for the FO you are buying. It would be worth it to ask your supplier. Sometimes the formulas change because laws regarding the ingredients change, sometimes suppliers are trying to go phthalate free, WHO KNOWS? Maybe it isn't your nose.

This is a great discussion to have.

Haven't noticed it from 1 oz to big bottle, but have noticed batch to batch..have even had customers comment on it.  I've thought about posting

a sign that says my supplier may change their formula or their supplier without notifying me...but afraid I'll lose my repeat customers!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed it on a few fragrances. It seemed like the tester was better quality than the pound bottle and the only explanation might be that the formulation changed after the tester was sent out for some reason. There are periodic shortages of some raw materials or dramatic price increases, which would force a slight change in the formulation. But yes, I have noticed this before.

Steve

• Like 1