Woot Woot! I took the plunge!

I finally made it over this blasted flu enough to pour my first candles today! Whoo hoo!

I poured paraffin in 8 oz tins, colored them with some burgundy, and scented with pomegranate FO from Peak. Testing two different wicks. I just poured them, so leaving them to cool right now.

I feel like a mad scientist with all the notes I took, lol. My husband thinks I'm too detail oriented and serious about it. I just tell him he'll be glad for all my notes when the house doesn't burn down. :P

I do have one question, though. When repouring to fill in shrinkage, what do you do with the extra wax while waiting to do the second pour? Let it harden and reheat? Keep it on a very low heat source to keep it liquid or is that too risky? And what happens with the FO in the wax? Will it end up burning off if I reheat the wax?

Sorry...that was more than one question. Dancing a jig in my kitchen!

• Like 2

Congrads on your first pour. You have started the obsessions it get worse and there is no support group to help you stop. If there is one I do not want to hear about I like my obsession. :)

I let my wax cool and reheat for the repour. If you leave it warming you end up burning off the FO.

• Like 3

Congrats on taking the plunge! I usually leave my pour pot on a griddle on low/warm in between pours. It's not very hot so I don't worry about the fragrance burning off. Then again, I use 464. Hopefully some paraffin users can share their tips. Get ready for loads of testing. It never ends. Good luck!

• Like 2

Awesome! Thank you both, Vicky and Shoegal. After reading so much on this forum, that's what I was afraid would happen to the FO, Vicky. If it works OK for you, Shoegal, maybe it's something I will test later once I get better at my system.

Color me excited!

• Like 1

It depends for me. The only wax I need repours on is my pillars, but I do as Vicky and let it cool between pours, because it does take a little while before it's time for a repour. Also, if it's container wax, and you need a repour, unless it's designed that way you may be pouring too hot. If not, and it is designed that way, the repour will be on top and you want that as strong as possible, so I would let it cool and then reheat. You will not compromise the wax by doing it that way, so don't worry about that, but leaving it warming, you very well could burn off enough FO that it wont' give off a very strong cold throw once cooled. 

HTH and welcome to the addiction! :D

• Like 2

I use paraffin and I cover the candles with a box so they cool as slowly as possible....this helps prevent the tops from shrinking very much if at all.

I will use a heat gun to even out the tops, if needed.

Edited by barbaranj
  • Like 2

Good for you! Feels good to get your first candles done!

I do like Shoegal and leave my overpour wax in my pourpot on a low heat griddle. When I am ready to pour I just turn up the heat until its ready to pour. I've done this successfully with parasoy, soy, and palm waxes.

• Like 3

I finally made it over this blasted flu enough to pour my first candles today! Whoo hoo!

I poured paraffin in 8 oz tins, colored them with some burgundy, and scented with pomegranate FO from Peak. Testing two different wicks. I just poured them, so leaving them to cool right now.

I feel like a mad scientist with all the notes I took, lol. My husband thinks I'm too detail oriented and serious about it. I just tell him he'll be glad for all my notes when the house doesn't burn downx8 :P

I do have one question, though. When repouring to fill in shrinkage, what do you do with the extra wax while waiting to do the second pour? Let it harden and reheat? Keep it on a very low heat source to keep it liquid or is that too risky? And what happens with the FO in the wax? Will it end up burning off if I reheat the wax?

Sorry...that was more than one question. Dancing a jig in my kitchen!

Good for you...congratulations  ......dance that jig!!! :02::dance2:  I pour only paraffin wax and what I do is leave the leftover wax in my pour pot and do my repour the next day or sometimes in the afternoon when the candles have completely cooled (cool to the touch all over the jar). I just set the pour pot to the side and it cools completely. When ready for my repour,  I heat the wax until it is completely melted and then immediately do my repour.  Keep us posted! :)

• Like 2

Thank you all for the tips and feedback. I'm still letting them cure before I test burn them, but here are a couple of pictures. I didn't do a second pour because they didn't look to me like they needed it, but if anyone disagrees please definitely let me know. Overall, I was happy with this first effort. If those of you with more expertise spot anything wrong, please comment and let me know so I can learn for next time. I am more worried about the safety of the candle than my pride, lol, so let it rip!

post-14873-0-68673800-1426702836_thumb.j

post-14873-0-65743200-1426702842_thumb.j

• Like 3

Thank you all for the tips and feedback. I'm still letting them cure before I test burn them, but here are a couple of pictures. I didn't do a second pour because they didn't look to me like they needed it, but if anyone disagrees please definitely let me know. Overall, I was happy with this first effort. If those of you with more expertise spot anything wrong, please comment and let me know so I can learn for next time. I am more worried about the safety of the candle than my pride, lol, so let it rip!

Well .....LOOK at what YOU created!! :bliss: Your candles look awesome!!!!

Edited by puma52
  • Like 1