Test pictures of new 20oz tureen jar

Well I thought I would try again for the umpteenth time of figuring out a wick size for this big 20 oz tureen jar.  

Jar:                    20 oz tureen

Wax:                 464

Wicks:              2 cd 8's

Fragrance:      Apples and Oats from Rustic Escentuals

When Made:   January 20 (So its well cured - about 6 weeks)

I'm having my doubts that these wicks are going to be too big.....I've been trying to wick this jar for 2 years! lol......

I'll post more pictures in 4 hour intervals and see what transpires....

For information, this cold throw is to die for....I hope it throws well.....we shall see. 

CIMG2191.jpg

Trappeur

• Like 3

Thanks Jane and Gran....

I really do like this wax.  Being that I always attach a melt to the tops I always have to do a top off (or repour) so the melt sticks.  Otherwise I can pour all my candles in 1 pour and get these smooth tops.

Trappeur

Ok, here is the my first 4 hour burn....so far so good....little hang up but that is good.  Scent throw is nice...not over kill but very clean and nice smelling.  I'll blow it out now and let it harden and then do another 4 hour burn tomorrow.

Any suggestions from anyone, please speak away!

How bout my wicks?  Should I put them a teencey bit closer?

CIMG2195.jpg

CIMG2198.jpg

CIMG2201.jpg

CIMG2202.jpg

Trappeur

so far it's looking good to me. Personally I would put the wicks a tad closer together as I would want them as far away from the sides of the candle as possible. I am trying to remember what the magic number is for separating double and triple wicks. My memory is telling me 1 1/4" but I don't always trust my memory. I can't tell from the pic exactly how far apart they are.

I agree with Candy. I would put the wicks a little closer together. When I double wick, my wick tabs touch each other on the bottom of the glass, but do not overlap. That gets them at the perfect (imo) distance apart from each other and away from the sides of the jar. 

Other than that, good first burn. I guess time will tell on the rest. Good luck! 

• Like 1

Yes--- I forgot that's what I do too. I glue the wick tabs to the jar bottom just touching each other but not overlapping. Works great that way with no guessing or measuring.

That's a really beautiful jar BTW. I am enjoying looking at it. Reminds me of a honey pot jar.

Edited by Candybee

I just measured the wicks and they are 3/4" from the top rim of the jar so I guess after I burn this one all the way down I'll try again and space them about 1 1/4" from the rim like Candybee said.  Wouldn't you say that would help too with the melt pool not getting so deep also?

Trappeur

Your wax looks so creamy and pretty Trappeur and the leaves just top it off so nicely. I love making these larger tureen jars more than the smaller version. These big ones are heavy, so pretty and just make a statement! :) Great job Trappeur! :)

Hello Puma,

Why thankyou for that lovely comment!  So you use these jars?  If you don't care to give your wick size out, would you mind telling what size wicks you use?  Do you use 464 too?  I've only been trying to wick this jar for years! lol

Trappeur

Ok, now here is day #2 test for the 2'nd burning which ran 5 hours instead of 4 (I forgot)

So far, everything is looking good in my opinion....wicks are a nice size - good throw for fragrance.

464 wax and 2 cd 8's

CIMG2214.jpg

CIMG2212.jpg

CIMG2210.jpg

CIMG2209.jpg

CIMG2208.jpg

Trappeur

• 2 weeks later...