what do you melt your M&P soap in?

franu61

I have been melting small batches in the microwave.  I just ran across a life of the party soap kettle on e-bay and now I'm

wondering if I want one., lol  Do any of you use one?  How about a crock pot?  Too slow?  Presto pot?  which one do you all like best?

Thanks for input  :)

I do mine in the microwave now, but have considered a small presto. I had the Life of the Party soap kettle (which is just a rice cooker with a different logo sticker on the side) and wasn't really impressed. The soap seemed to cool off too quickly for my liking.

• Like 1

Wow! you found a Life of the Party soap kettle?!! I got one from Michael's Craft stores years ago and it was my absolute fav soap melter. It works perfect for melting soap. Mine had an automatic shut off once the soap was melted and then it switches to the warm setting to keep the base warm and liquid to work with.

I would jump on that sale in a heartbeat!

Mine still works but the auto shut off doesn't anymore. I have to watch it melt the soap chunks then I manually switch to warm. Anyway it got to small for me when I started much larger soap production. So now I use a rice cooker by Aroma.

Basically the Life of the Party Soap Kettle is a rice cooker type appliance.

As I only use M&P for embeds, I use a pyrex measuring cup and melt it in the microwave is small bursts. 

Many many many moons ago, I had an order for 300 clear soaps with a logo insert and at that time I melted my soap in my crock pot, on just the warm setting. 

It didn't burn the soap or make it rubbery or anything, but it did take a LONG time to melt, but once melted it kept it melted for what I needed to do. 

I can't find the logo pic, but here is a toy insert using the same melting technique and you can see it kept the clear base very very clear... 

post-200-0-57510300-1420731957_thumb.jpg

I have been using the Aroma 10 cup rice cooker which has several settings. I use the white rice setting to melt the M&P. I first cut my M&P up into small chunks 1-2" thick. I melt the chunks and keep an eye on them as they melt. I put in my additives as its melting. Once its melted I switch it to the warm setting and leave it.

• Like 1

Take your time deciding. Although the rice cooker I have works great heating and warming the soap, it has a teflon coating that can be scratched over time. Once the coating starts to fail little chunks of teflon can float in your melted base. That's what I loved about the Party meltor, it had no coating, just all metal, aluminum I think, and always worked great. But the switch on that failed.

So just keep in mind that each appliance has its pros and cons.

You may want to check out a presto pot. Although I am not sure if they are coated too?

You may want to check out a presto pot. Although I am not sure if they are coated too?

Presto's are coated with a teflon, so after a while they do break down. I've had a couple for about 10 years or so and are still in perfect condition, and I have a couple that are only a couple years old that are already starting to get flaky, so I think it just depends on how they are used and how they were made. 

The old adage is so true - they don't make things like they used too.... 

• Like 1