For those who master batch, pail and drum heaters

TallTayl

I got really tired of scooping rock solid soap oils from the pails, so i tried out an insulated pail heating belt from duda diesel. Changed my life. The whole 50 lb pail melts clear in a couple of hours. Stir, pour, done. I can now prepare 50 lbs of blended soaping oils in one go, saving hours and hours of measuring.

Am going to try this out with wax next. The belt will supposedly safely heat a plastic pail to up to 150C. If it works like i am pretty confident it will, i won't need the new dipping tank or another water jacket melter so soon. Worst case scenario i can put two belts on the pail.

Here is the one i bought:

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=InsPHS

Very interesting. I am still using 1 gal pails which are fairly easy to heat the oils. But its good to know there is an alternative heating source for the 5 gal pails. I really should be buying in larger quantities.

What made you think of the pan heating belt? I never would have even thought there was such a thing. Its a great idea.

Very interesting. I am still using 1 gal pails which are fairly easy to heat the oils. But its good to know there is an alternative heating source for the 5 gal pails. I really should be buying in larger quantities.

What made you think of the pan heating belt? I never would have even thought there was such a thing. Its a great idea.

I live close to soapers choice, so buying the pails is like getting half off the gallon price.

Saw someone in construction on facebook with a drum contraption to heat something. A light bulb went off. googled around for drum heaters and was amazed at the new options!

I have it already, and tried it on a pail of palm. Was amazing.

Another idea that works well for oils, but takes a little longer is a food dehydrator. A good soaping friend and beekeeper uses an old broken freezer with a hole cut in the top that just fits the upside down dehydrator heater fan. Keeps the pails of oils in a slurry state, easy to stir and pour.

I made a similar warming box using just thick styro sheets from the home improvement store. Instead of a hole on top, i made a small platform out of 2x4's to raise the pails so the dehydrator motor could sit upside right beneath them. The box could double as a curing chamber for soap in a pinch by adding a vent for humid air to escape.

You mean PKO? Being that its winter you practically have to hire Thor and his hammer to make a dent in it. Thats pretty cool it works!

I am trying to picture your styro box. Couldn't you use a styrofoam cooler too? Or do they make them big enough?

The box i made was from scrap 4'x8' sheets styro cut with a steak knife duct taped together. (Sounds classy, no? :D) 4 pieces for the walls, one for the top. No bottom as it sits on my floor directly. I don 't have any coolers big enough to fit 2-3 soapers choice pails. I will try to remember to photo and post.

And the belt heater would definitely melt PKO. The lowest setting is 30C/86F. Highest is 150C/302F.

I know everyone is gonna flip but I take a gallon jug (7 lbs) of coconut or palm and throw it in the microwave unopened. The oil melts in about 5 minutes. No explosions and the heavy plastic jugs don't even heat up. I guess the microwaves work from the inside out. The metal seals are not exposed to the microwave beams and there is no evidence of radioactive isotopes. Coconut melts pretty fast as well as palm. Then you pull the jug out and shake it up and down to make sure everything is mixed proper and pour. Most oils stay liquid to semi-liquid for quite a while. Am I crazy?

• Like 1

I would suggest you take the metal seal off anyway and check the integrity of the jug after a couple of minutes CB. Seriously, this is so much easier than a tub of hot water or a heat gun (although a heat gun will work). I have a small microwave with low wattage but it seems like the interior heats up first. HTH

Steve

Edited by chuck_35550

Steve, I used to do that before I started to Masterbatch. Now that I masterbatch, my 5 gallon bucket won't fit in the microwave, however, except for January and February, my soap mixture stays in a constant slushy state that I can stir and just scoop out. In these colder months it does get solid, and I then weigh my batches out and stick it in the microwave for a minute or 2 to get it back to slushy, but not hot. Just melted enough to bring it to room temp...