Business Resolution for 2015

Vicky_CO

Mine is to test my wax melt, I make glass glow palm wax and cb 135 soy container candle in 10 oz status jar I have found the correct wick for all including bakery fragrance which I just have to wick up. Once I test my melts I will get the necessary insurance and start having candle parties,then branch out, I have been keeping inventory on wick,fragrance etc which I never would have learned without the help of everyone on this forum.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

My business plan this year is expand the skus my 8 store client sells.

We are adding 6 oz melts this month.

I will be starting a conversation with the buyer about new fragrances. They have carried the same 6 fragrances for about 5 years, and 2 are underperformers. I want to switch out both of them, and add 2 decidedly spring/summer scents and 2 fall/winter scents.

Then, because they carry some high end candles (from other vendors), I want to offer them a boxed specialty line, fragrance oils mixed with essential oils. The basics are private label, but I want the speciatly line to be my label so it has a completely separate identity.

I spent the last 8 or 9 months working on this plan, lol. But, I have all the prices ready, all the ideas and options ready, and just need to proceed slowly with this company. I would also like to offer wood wick candles to them.

And, I am going to make sure the buyer, the replenisher, and the senior VP in charge of my product know the truth about paraffin. I am going to include it in my presentation of the specialty line. Then if they choose to ignore the information that's on them. I will have done the right thing.

I dropped a client in 2014. Her behavior and attitude towards me had become - well, odd - and I spent the month of October trying to figure out what was going on. Eventually I just had to break ties. Sales from that client were a healthy chunk of my annual sales, but I am comfortable with the decision. I wrote her and thanked her for the opportunity to design and launch her brand identity. If she had written back I would have given her a few names of chandlers that could make her products, but I did not hear back from her. Her loss!

My plan is to regrow my business and hopefully add some or all of the services and products I used to offer before the recession hit and sales dropped. Now that my sales picked up this past year I am I am confident I can do that.

I have worked hard on new soap recipes for several lines of specialty soaps. I first developed them last year and they were a hit and helped with the sales growth. So I have revamped them and tweaked on the recipes and am currently working their marketing.

If my sales continue to grow I want to add some more B&B products. I want to bring back lotions and body butters and also add some sugar scrubs. I also want to offer more variety in flavors for my lip balms as these are hot little items and sell really well.

I keep waffleing on my candle line. I really want to offer a simple, elegant, line of candles in about 12 scents. I am thinking I want to keep it small because I want to be more about specialty soaps now. But I have some diehard candle customers who love my candles and I am one of the few palm candle makers that offer them. So they are fairly unique as every other candlemaker in my selling arena sells soy candles.

I will be very happy if I can reach all my goals this year.

• Like 1

Good luck to everyone. 

I need to work on business resolutions. I guess my main one would be to be more organized and to keep an accurate inventory count. Or I should say better track of my inventory. When I sit down and actually work on it, it's always accurate, but I shouldn't have to "work" to find the correct numbers, I should be able to pull it up at a glance. 

So yeah, just way more organized... 

• 2 weeks later...

I am with you Jcandleattic, I need to be more organized and have better contorl over my inventory.  I have started with a visit to The Container Store and have updated my Square inventory.  The hard part is there is no consistency to my sales.  I have check over the past few years and what I sold last year at this time is so different than what I am selling now.  Hard to have the inventory ready when you are unsrue what will sell the most.  I did last month change my packaging a bit that that has really helped with my candle sales.  My pretty pillars I sold 5 in the month of December but last weekend I sold 8. I am sure there is some way to stay ahead of the game.

Cindy

• Like 1

This year one of my goals is to work on a separate upscale line of candles and hopefully have them ready with labels and packaging for the holiday buying season. I'd also like to get at least one wholesale account and continue growing my online sales. I want to add a couple of more craft shows this year too.

I need to get a brochure together about my candles as well as being more organized too.

We should all come back next year and see how we all did with our resolutions. :-)

I am with you Jcandleattic, I need to be more organized and have better contorl over my inventory.  I have started with a visit to The Container Store and have updated my Square inventory.  The hard part is there is no consistency to my sales.  I have check over the past few years and what I sold last year at this time is so different than what I am selling now.  Hard to have the inventory ready when you are unsrue what will sell the most.  I did last month change my packaging a bit that that has really helped with my candle sales.  My pretty pillars I sold 5 in the month of December but last weekend I sold 8. I am sure there is some way to stay ahead of the game.

Cindy

This is so true. Many scents come and go and the market for them changes from year to year. What is popular today won't sell next year. I find this true with the exception of the classics like lavender, cinnamon, apple, etc.

I go over my inventory and note what sells and what doesn't. Eliminating the slow or no sellers with new scents. This keeps my candle line 'fresh' and more marketable.