How much mushrooming is acceptable

Hi all

I'm doing some extensive testing with about 15 wick types.  I am dosing the candles at %6 (or %5 for vanilla) and I am finding all wicks mushroom, with the exception of ECO, to some degree.  Problem is they soot a lot!

I'm wicking a 3" jar with an eco 1.5. If it's a harder to burn fragrance, we use an ECO 2 or ECO 4.

I have tested with the LX wicks as everyone raves about these, but I am finding these mushroom at the top of the candle; but seem to stop mushrooming as much at the bottom of the candle.  They soot a lot on the initial light too, before settling down.  I find the same with the CDN wicks.

My question is;  How mush mushrooming is acceptable?   and also, is it normal that a candle may mushroom on the first 3 or 4 lights, but then stop mushrooming as much toward the bottom?

Just interested in everyone else opinion.  I am a little bit of a perfectionist so I'm trying to get an understanding if the problem is me or the wick 8-)

Edited by crvella

I've used LX wicks for years and if you find it's sooting and mushrooming at the first burn, your wick may be too long when you initially light it.  I've found the LX wicks need to be cut a lot shorter than some other types. 

• Like 2

Hi all 

My question is;  How mush mushrooming is acceptable?   and also, is it normal that a candle may mushroom on the first 3 or 4 lights, but then stop mushrooming as much toward the bottom ?

Just interested in everyone else opinion.  I am a little bit of a perfectionist so I'm trying to get an understanding if the problem is me or the wick 8-)

Sure! The mushroom results from incomplete combustion. As you get lower in the jar the burning conditions change (air convection, temperatures, etc). The extra heat "can" help with those harder-to-fully-combust components.

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory

I switched to Premier wicks in my 464 soy candles and paraffin pillars, and I'm currently testing a parasoy with them. I get almost no mushrooms with these wicks, whereas my zincs (currently using in parasoy) always mushroom. It can be frustrating! The Premiers do tend to curl just a bit which will throw off your melt pool, but that always catches up. I could not be more delighted with the results I get from them!

• 1 month later...

OG, do you twist the Premier wicks to compensate for them curling to one side? That way the curl revolves around to face all sides of the jar. After I tighten my wicks in clothespins I turn the pins 3 or 4 times. I use HTP wicks which curl. I'd like to try Premier if I go back to testing 6006, or if I try Victory Blend parasoy.

I've used LX wicks for years and if you find it's sooting and mushrooming at the first burn, your wick may be too long when you initially light it.  I've found the LX wicks need to be cut a lot shorter than some other types. 

Ditto what Chris said. I love LX's also and they do need to be trimmed shorter, but I also love my CD's. I stay away from cottons and zincs.