having trouble with the palm wax that I am using for my candle testing, currently I am buying it from Hase Petroleum Wax Company. The texture problem I am having is the crystalline pattern it makes on the top of the candle after the pouring,the look  isn't  aesthetic, I want to go for a smooth top finish, so I am thinking we might need to add something to the palm wax  or if anyone knows of a good palm wax wholesaler that might be of assistance I would greatly appreciate it . I'm really struggling and any recommendations  would mean a lot! thanks guys!

Sven

I haven't used the wax you are using, however I have had this problem with Palm before. Have you tried pouring a bit cooler than the rec. temp? That did the trick for me & I discovered it (like many good things! =) by accident. I can't remember which Palm wax I was using, sorry. May be worth a try though?!

Good Luck!!

I haven't used the wax you are using, however I have had this problem with Palm before. Have you tried pouring a bit cooler than the rec. temp? That did the trick for me & I discovered it (like many good things! =) by accident. I can't remember which Palm wax I was using, sorry. May be worth a try though?!

Good Luck!!

Yep, pour alot cooler, no pattern will show.  I learned this also by accident! I normally heat any of the palm waxes I have to 205-210 degrees.  I love the crystal pattern!!!!!!!! :bliss:

Edited by ChandlerWicks
  • Like 1

I personally agree with both I love the crystalline pattern but when I start selling them, the aesthetics are really important and some consumers might not like the look of the palm texture as let’s say a pure soy wax candle. Thanks for both of your replies:) I am currently using a crystal votive that holds about 8.5 ounces of wax looks really nice.

I will try #spark-me-up your suggestion to pour at a bit cooler temperature, do you know more or less at which temp you did the pouring?? I currently found help for the manufacturing at a place in dallas that is helping me with the manufacturing, pouring and packaging since I want to focus more on product development and marketing, plus they ship directly to the consumer which is great that is once the business is up and running. The wicks which I have researched and would like to try are square braided pure cotton. Although I am not sure which one were using right now, but I have gotten samples from precision wicking, got some stabilo wicks which burn great with a vegetable wax blend I tried that has 25% paraffin and burns great. Have any of you tried mixing a little soy wax with palm wax in your blends?

For wicks, i have been very pleased with CSN in palm (glass glow and feather palm). CDN perform nearly as well and are a bit easier to source.

I have tried square braid in my palm, but was not happy with the overall burn, though i do like square braid in soy.

I use the CSN wicks as well. Tried others but the overall burn was not the same. I too like the textured tops of palm. I use both crystal container palm and glass glow.

A while back someone posted about how much soy you could add to your container palm wax before the crystal pattern disappears. I know from my experience that 25% soy will kill the crystalline pattern but don't remember what the right amount to keep it was.

The only reason I would add soy is to help my candles burn longer. This would have to be tested as I don't know from personal experience if it works.

• 7 months later...

if you do not care what wax you use...which it seems you do not as you listed all 3 major waxes, why even use palm if you want your smooth finish?

That is kinda like buying textured wall paper and then painting over it cause you want a smooth wall.....where's the logic?