Do you all re-name Kudzu?

Sharon in PA

Got a sample of this from MC, here is their description:

Kudzu-- Amazing deep blackberry, plum and great grape united with spicy cinnamon, violet and clove notes finish with a punch highlighted by cinnamon bark and sweet vanilla spice. Body Safe

I am not sure is peeps would be attracted to this name, folks around here have probably never heard of it...

Any ideas?:undecided Thanks!!

I have wrestled with this very same thing for a long time. If you are from a part of the country to where Kudzu actually grows, you know that there is NO smell to it whatsoever! SO, I was very surprized to see a FO with that name. I sent some back home to KY and they had a great laugh. They all said they wished the Kudzu actually smelled that way!

Trish, That's a bummer, I actually think it's a nice scent, MC's is more blacberry and grape to me. I saw that some folks thought it smelled like Carribean Holiday from JS, Well, I got a sample of that last year and couldn't take it at all, TOO much like grape Kool-Aid to me...In MC's Kudzu, you can acually smell some cinnamon in there...I am torn..I am going to bring some tarts in to work and do one, see what folks have to say...:undecided

Kimberly, I wonder why they make a FO w/ this name then? I saw Kudzu when I was down in NC, and it's a shame what it does to trees! I wonder if folks down south would tend to buy it more from the name, I know most folks up here aren't even going to know what the heck Kudzu IS...:tongue2:

I'm from NC and kudzu is everywhere! It also doesn't smell, but whatever. As for the renaming, I know that my customers shy away from anything that they can't identifty by the name. They like scent names that tell them what the scent is and anything new, different or strange will just sit on my shelf. I can't even sell Lovespell (which I love). I would have to rename it, but maybe your customers are more adventurous than mine.

Maybe you could have a tart-naming contest or something. Give a tart, have them send in a name and the winner gets a candle in that scent or something like that.

I really get frustrated with my local customer base sometimes. They are mostly older ladies (no offense to any older ladies out there) and they really only buy florals and clean scents. That's it. I haven't sold any Lovespell, Verbena Berry, Blackberry Tea, Pink Sugar, Ocean, or a Food scent in ages. It drives me nuts because I have so many great FOs and my customers only order the florals, fresh linen and plain vanilla. :undecided Of course, I haven't worked too hard at expanding my customer base lately. I was just offered a job for when I graduate law school and I am hoping that will bring in some new customers. But that's about 8 months away, so back to the florals I go. It makes me not even want to bother ordering any new spring scents if no one is going to buy them.

I have the same problem with some of my scents. I have a fall scent that is on the sweet side not spicy, that I can't sell in the fall with it's name. I changed the color and called it Smooch and sell out of it for Valentine's.

So if you have scents that don't sell, with the name they come in as, try changing the name and or color and see if it sells better. You could also mix scents that don't sell to come up with new ones.

Angela,

That is really a bummer, and most of the fun ( for ME, anyway) is trying out new scents, and hearing all the "oooo's and ahhhhs" when you have folks smell them! Do you sell to your fellow students?

I have a pretty mixed bag of regulars, but I cannot predict what folks will like most of the time. I have my clean and floral folks, my hippie scent folks, my food folks, and the folks who get hungry when they smell the foods sooo....they won't buy them!

Candle Man, I actually did change a few names of my Spring/Summer scents, and will be tryimg them out this year w/ their new names. It IS a good idea, cause I am SURE there are some that won't approach a candle if the name doesn't appeal, or if they can't wrap their head around what a scent would be like by the name...Me, on the other hand, THAT pulls me in! i am intrigued by an interesting name! Oh, folks can be so boring! Thses same people will only burn ONE jar till it's done! Gosh, I look at my CASES of started jars and laugh! (another reason I'm a tart junkie!):tongue2:

BTW, Angela! great idea on the naming contest!!! Love it!:grin2:

• 2 weeks later...
I saw Kudzu when I was down in NC, and it's a shame what it does to trees! I wonder if folks down south would tend to buy it more from the name

Most people I know would run screaming when they saw the name. It's a very opressive weed that obliterates anything in it's path. Personally I think it's very lush and pretty, but then I haven't fought it all my life either. Thankfully it's no where near my property.