Complaint

only one candle left soot like that? hmm I don't know then. I've heard of candles igniting but it never has happened to me. Sorry this happened - that would upset me too

Do the other candles leave any soot at all?

Edited by nursenancy

No and person who sold this one also bought one like this and she did not have any problems. All candles have warnings and it says dont leave unattended trim wick. I just thought was interesting wanted to share because i have too left a candle burning and it burned my table it was A VERY Long time ago and was not my candle.

That's why we carry insurance! There is always at least one idiot out there who doesn't read or follow the warning label.

I would say that the vast majority of people who buy candles don't read the warning label, let alone follow it. I wick for a power burn every time.

• Like 2

I would say that, no, it is not your fault, but yes, you do bear partial blame. We are in the process now of adopting two new jars. Our testing procedures are extensive. We have gone through something like thirty jars so far and more to come to get the candles to burn as we expect. Customers have different expectations; no candle can satisfy everyone. But, for us safety is a biggie. The candle in the picture was burned for a long time without wick trimming. The bottom inch or two or more was liquid too quickly. The large flames (due at least in part to not trimming the wicks) continued to heat the melted wax hotter and hotter. Probably fortunate that the customer stopped the process before the wax reached critical mass and caught on fire. I would say that you are fortunate that the picture is not of a scorched room or remains of a burnt-out house. Strongly suggest you expand your testing procedures. Please don't be angry with me. You asked, and it's just my opinion.

thanks not angry after 10 yrs making candles using same jar never had a problem. But this is what you get when you light a candle and forget and leave your home and such. I would say after 10 years of selling and making and testing and this is only complaint. This is why i make sure my customers know to trim your wick, dont leave unattended and always place something under your candle. This one burned out before she stopped it this is what she found.

• Like 2

Holy cow!

Makes me want to switch to just making tarts!!!

It's obvious this was power burned wayyyy too long, without any wick trimming. If you've been making candles that long I'm sure you didn't over wick it, but what was the wick/size that you used?

You mentioned it was a heavier oil, is it possible that the fragrance oil was not completely incorporated and it sunk to the bottom?

Maybe they went away for a couple of days and forgot about it. To let it get that far with all that soot I would assume it was unattended for a period of time.

Count your lucky stars that the table was the only thing harmed!

fluke things happen.... you say you did test this batch? did you power burn this batch yourself? Every batch of candles I make I have a 2 testers for myself- 1 to burn normal and 1 to power burn to make sure there isn't anything funky in the batch going on

not at all saying this is your fault but in my 6 plus years of making candles I have not had one come even close to looking like this power burning -unattended- it appears to me the wick is too large for this jar- and I say this respectfully knowing you have been making candles for 10 years- but maybe you need to try some new test batches and go down in wick and power burn for days on end and see what happens- not only for ignorant peoples safety but for your protection as well

Maybe try your wick, but with a taller neck on the wick tab. That way there is some wax left at the bottom of the jar, and it can't suck up every last bit....making for lots of soot and hot jar.

And in my opinion it is the woman's own fault about the mark on her wood surface. You should never burn a candle of any kind without something under it. That is just wood surface protection 101.

Not your fault and you don't share any of the blame if you have the proper warnings and your candles are correctly made. There is inherent risk in using certain products and candles are one of them. With the large number of house fires caused by candles don't you think the large candle companies would have been sued out of business by now?

That said, people can be sued by their insurance companies for starting a fire due to their negligent use of candles.

If someone can show me ONE just ONE case of a candle company being sued with PROOF, i.e. court papers, dated newspaper etc. I would love to see it. I have been in this business for 15 years and not once has anyone been able to give proof ... one person tried some years ago but when asked to produce some kind of paper ANY kind they could not. Just sayin'.

On my warning instructions , it says when 1/2" of wax remains, stop burning candle, but of course people do not read. Is there is a high neck wick tab that would stop the candle from burning any further before something like this would happen? See tabs below from Candlewic....that last one is a 20mm x 9mm that neck really looks like it would be the safest... the 20mm x 3 mm looks like the tabs I use. Uh oh...does not look like Candlewic offers the 9mm neck wick tab for their build a wick. Would the 6mm high neck tab work good enough? Anyone use these longer neck tabs? What do you think? Thanks for any feedback. :)

Thumbnail.aspx?i=c-2.jpg&w=96

15 mm X 3 mm Sustainer Base

starting at $8.60 per unit VIEW VOLUME PRICING ORDER NOW

Metal wick sustainer bases manufactured from heavy tinplate. Sold by the pound.

[C-2]

Thumbnail.aspx?i=c-2-a.jpg&w=96

15 mm X 6 mm Sustainer Base

starting at $9.68 per unit VIEW VOLUME PRICING ORDER NOW

[C-2-A]

Thumbnail.aspx?i=c-2-b.jpg&w=96

15 mm X 9 mm Sustainer Base

starting at $10.76 per unit VIEW VOLUME PRICING ORDER NOW

[C-2-B]

Thumbnail.aspx?i=c-3.jpg&w=96

20 mm X 3 mm Sustainer Base

starting at $8.95 per unit VIEW VOLUME PRICING ORDER NOW

[C-3]

Thumbnail.aspx?i=c-3-a.jpg&w=96

20 mm X 6 mm Sustainer Base

starting at $8.11 per unit VIEW VOLUME PRICING ORDER NOW

[C-3-A]

Thumbnail.aspx?i=c-3-b.jpg&w=96

20 mm X 9 mm Sustainer Base

starting at $13.50 per unit VIEW VOLUME PRICING ORDER NOW

[C-3-B]

#sortBar { font-size: 12px; padding: 5px 0 5px 0; border-bottom: 1px solid #DDDDDD; } #sortBar a { padding: 0 0 0 5px; display: inline-block; } #sortBar strong { padding: 0 5px 0 0; display: inline-block; } #sortBar .active { color: #B91740; background: url("/images/ui/sort-btn.gif") repeat-x scroll left top transparent; text-decoration: none; } #sortBar .active span { background: url("/images/ui/sort-btn.gif") repeat-x scroll right bottom transparent; display: inline-block; line-height: 16px; padding: 0px 5px 0px 0; } #sortBar .active span span { background-position: left center; padding: 2px 3px 2px 3px; } .startingAt { display: none; } .sortByPrice .startingAt { display: inline; }

Edited by puma52

Guest OldGlory

I just can't wrap my head around that picture. To me, it looks like the wax did catch on fire. Anyone else thinking along those lines?

I am just as guilty as the next person for not trimming a wick (many years ago) before I knew better - they never looked like that. The solid black mess looks more like soot from a fire than soot from a wick. And the burn mark on the wood says the same thing to me.

Do yourself a favor and don't sell her another candle. Further, I can't believe she had the gall to complain to you. That really sucks.

Crazy people! I think Chandler Hill is saying the person lit the candle and left the house for a few days? WTH? No wonder the candle caught on fire. I can imagine what would have happened if the glass had burst and shot across the room. That wick could have fallen over and burned more than a spot.

I just can't wrap my head around that picture. To me, it looks like the wax did catch on fire. Anyone else thinking along those lines?

I am just as guilty as the next person for not trimming a wick (many years ago) before I knew better - they never looked like that. The solid black mess looks more like soot from a fire than soot from a wick. And the burn mark on the wood says the same thing to me.

Do yourself a favor and don't sell her another candle. Further, I can't believe she had the gall to complain to you. That really sucks.

This.

If someone can show me ONE just ONE case of a candle company being sued with PROOF, i.e. court papers, dated newspaper etc. I would love to see it. I have been in this business for 15 years and not once has anyone been able to give proof ... one person tried some years ago but when asked to produce some kind of paper ANY kind they could not. Just sayin'.

Here is one open case. Curious to see how it goes.

http://cookcountyrecord.com/news/260976-clear-candle-corp-sued-after-woman-sustained-burns

https://w3.courtlink.lexisnexis.com/cookcounty/FindDock.asp?NCase=2013-l-014013&SearchType=0&Database=2&case_no=&PLtype=2&sname=Phyllis+Peterson&CDate=12%2F12%2F2013