Tin Testing

OK, here are two more pics, the tins are on their 4th burn now and one was a fairly long one during Christmas Day. The left-hand tin has a CD-8 wick and the right a HTP-83. Because of the angle at which the photo was taken, the flames appear smaller than they actually were, that said, the HTP had a smaller flame and was not acceptable to me. Both had very good melt pools and the HT from both candles was very good but I liked the HTP better as there was less of a burned wax smell. HT is all about the melt pool. Mushrooming was also more prevalent with the HTP most likely because it was the cooler of the two wicks. I may run another test with a larger HTP wick and an Eco.

The tins were never too hot to pick up and move around.

The second pic shows the tops when cool.

For home use, I am not a fan of tins because you don't see much of the flame for get a nice glow as you do with glass containers. However, they make a great traveling candle and can be used in places where glass is not appropriate.

post-13162-139458516776_thumb.jpg

post-13162-139458516782_thumb.jpg

Edited by rjdaines

The tins are 8 oz and hold about 5 oz of wax. I showed them at my booth this weekend and most people liked them but I had a few requests for smaller ones (which means more testing). So, I guess I will order some 4 oz times and wick test those. It never ends.

Most people call the combo parasoy.

I've made thousands of 8 oz tins. I double wicked. Mostly with HTP 41s, but some oils required 52s. On very rare occasions, such as B&L Peppercorn, I triple wicked. I long ago abandoned parasoy in favor of Comfort Blend, but still double wicked.

Most people call the combo parasoy.

I've made thousands of 8 oz tins. I double wicked. Mostly with HTP 41s, but some oils required 52s. On very rare occasions, such as B&L Peppercorn, I triple wicked. I long ago abandoned parasoy in favor of Comfort Blend, but still double wicked.

Very interesting, I may have to try that. My wax is mostly 415 but the HTPs should work in it. But for now, the CD-8 wick seems to work well.

Edited by rjdaines

• 5 weeks later...

When you test the 4 ouncers with straight 415 the CDN8 or CD7 were always winners for me- not sure about the paraffin in there how much to wick downs but it's a good starting point for you....and I love soyaffin! I just may call my parasoy I am playing with that!

When you test the 4 ouncers with straight 415 the CDN8 or CD7 were always winners for me- not sure about the paraffin in there how much to wick downs but it's a good starting point for you....and I love soyaffin! I just may call my parasoy I am playing with that!

For the 4 inch tins I tried CD-5 and CD-6, the 5 was a clear winner when using Lavender FO. Both tins are great, now to find more FOs to use with them.

Very good to know- 2 sizes down with my jars is what It took with the parasoy I have been playing with so if I decide to do tins with this I will try that and see how it goes

I always had issues with the tins rusting with straight 415- have you run into this with the parasoy?

Very good to know- 2 sizes down with my jars is what It took with the parasoy I have been playing with so if I decide to do tins with this I will try that and see how it goes

I always had issues with the tins rusting with straight 415- have you run into this with the parasoy?

Have not seen any rust yet. These tins from Candle Science are said to be lacquer coated, which should help.

• 1 month later...