Any lotion crafters out there anymore?

Michdj

I have all the ingredients to make lotion and I'm nervous about it. I've noticed the forum has become more focused on candle-making. Any lotion crafters out there? I know TallTayl is, because he/she responds to all my inane questions. Anybody else? And what's your favorite type of lotion?

You already outed me. (She) :)

This time of year i love thick lotions/cremes. My favorite for the super cold, dry weather near Chicago this time of year contains over 1/3 glycerin in addition to nice amounts of hydrovance, panthenol, niacinamide, and ecomulse.

I tend to not like lotion bars as much as many other people, just because my skin is too dry to make good use of them at the time i think to apply them. I need the moisture in the tube itself.

SwiftCraftyMonkey@blogspot.com has some nice variations of light to heavy/occlusive lotions on her blog.

I love lotion bars!!!! Easy and awesome! I use a higher % Of soft oils for the winter.

I am no expert at lotion making, but I have made a few lotions following recipes from the lotioncrafter website. My favorite is their silk therapy recipe. It is really great!!! Thick and silky!!!

I make lotion bars for myself and family all year long. I also make my own body butters, and lip balms. I really only make them because I have horribly dry skin and lips, and I wanted something that doesn't have gross stuff in it. I don't make lotions because I don't want to use a preservative, and they don't last long at all without one. But I do love my lotion bars and body butters :-)

I purchased the Caprabella Goat Milk Cream for Hand and Body Kit. Thereafter I purchased most of the ingredients in the kit from LotionCrafter and have made several batches. I am very pleased with this recipe. I must add that this is the only lotion recipe I have ever tried so I have nothing to compare it to other than store bought lotion.

Made my first lotion today with a recipe from SwiftCraftyMonkey, but modified to play. It's a less-greasy winter lotion, but I used shea butter so it's really not less greasy. Live and learn! Used mac oil because it sounded really nifty but found it's very nutty-smelling, so I overused FO to mask it. ::sigh:: Everybody starts somewhere I guess! I'm already looking forward to the next one!

I make the whipped body frosting (recipe is here on the forum), and I add Hydrovance, cyclo, and dimethicone- it really is a nice thick creamy lotion that I use year round. Its a very easy recipe. My family and friends love this lotion too. (I don't sell, still just a hobby for me!) I haven't tried any of the bases yet. I've attempted lotion bars- still experimenting though.

I am in the research phase of lotion making. My fiance is looking at starting organic lotions and cleaning supplies...so right now we are just researching a lot. Our goal is to begin testing in January...and test test test for approximately 6 months to be ready for next Fall's craft shows. Trying to find out as much information as possible at the moment...so if you know of any good informative sites and would like to share that would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/makingskincare/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/262239847145721/

I am in the research phase of lotion making. My fiance is looking at starting organic lotions and cleaning supplies...so right now we are just researching a lot. Our goal is to begin testing in January...and test test test for approximately 6 months to be ready for next Fall's craft shows. Trying to find out as much information as possible at the moment...so if you know of any good informative sites and would like to share that would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

I love making thick lotions/body butters too. Started out making the body frosting recipe on this forum (still one of mine and my friends favs). My problem is how many additives is too many? lol

Like TallTayl, I really like hydrovance and panthenol.. And I really like working with kokum butter ( nice thickness and not so greasy)

I have a client who has scalp psoriasis pretty bad..She scratches so badly her nails break. My heart goes out to her. She won't use any of the creams the Dr. gives her because they make her hair greasy. So I set about trying to make her an anti itch, non greasy scalp spray.

I made an infused tea of calendula flowers, plantain leaves,lavender and anything else good for Itching, soothing, healing and emollients. I mixed the tea half and half with aloe vera leaf juice. I did use a preservative, knowing this would go bad fast.

She uses it when the itching gets out of control. She said that it provides instant relief and her hair looks great lol. Unfortunately the relief only last 2-3 hrs.

Sooo I decided to add this concoction into one of my body butter formulations to see if it would help anyone who suffered from itchy skin. I got it all done and went to add the preservative and realized that I had already previously preserved the tea/aloe mixture before adding it to the body butter formula..

"ahhh crap, how much to add??!" Did the heat destroy the preservative and I should start from ground zero? Calculate it in? lmao So I guesstimated and put it on the shelf to watch for 6 months to a year..

It only took 3 days = instamold!..

In some weird way..:: pause::... I'm proud..I'm no longer a mold virgin lol. Nothing will make you more serious and cautious about the stuff you make.