Mottling wax

I bought some mottling wax to give it a try and followed the instructions down to the T. I heated to 80 degrees celcius, added the midnight blue colour, I didn't add scent, and i poured at 80 like the instructions said.

I let it cool at room temp, so considering it's cold in the UK, the heating is on so it is warm in the house but these are how they turned out.

Can anyone suggest how to get a full/better mottle with this wax next time?

post-30660-139458514696_thumb.jpg

Please help, im about to pull my hair out.

post-30660-139458514616_thumb.jpg

post-30660-139458514641_thumb.jpg

post-30660-139458514665_thumb.jpg

For me there are two ways:

1. Make rustic candles - pour at lower temperatures

2. Add vybar - color will be smoother without any defects

Kaczor I can't pour low temp as it won't mottle, nor can i add vybar as it will stop the mottling. I make rustic candles anyway but this is a wax specifically for mottling and it hasn't mottled.

@georgia I warm my molds in the oven first so it helps to cool slower but clearly i cant get them to cool slow enough. It's cold here at the minute, being the end of November but the heating is always on and the house is warm. I suppose i could leave the molds in the oven a bit longer but as they are metal i can't get them too hot otherwise i cant touch them lol.

I'm starting to think mottling wax is a waste of time and money.

what kind of mottling wax are you using? is it IGI? I use IGI1274 with Polyboost and get fantastic results. Don't even have to 'box' them to slow cooling or anything...

i'm using chandler grey mottling wax, i'm in the uk so can't get a lot of waxes

Scent actually enhances the mottling effect of the IGI wax. The more scent you add, the more mottling you get. So you might want to try one with some fragrance in it, just to see how it looks.

Edited by bsones

Or add mineral oil isn't it if you want mottle but don't want to add scent?

I don't mind adding scent but thought for the first try with a mottling wax i wouldn't add any. Because it's a mottling wax though i shouldn't really need to add mineral oil should i? I thought that a mottling wax already had all of the additives it needed to make it mottle, otherwise it would just be wax, not mottling wax.

How long ago were these candle's made when the picture was taken?

I ask that because I used to make container mottled candles..mine looked just like yours and I freaked out and thought..MAN! I just wasted all that wax! I called the company, and they told me that they go through a translucent stage before they mottle..I checked the next day and they were mottled.

I remember a few years ago, one of the vets on here named TOP of Murray Hill always used to say the more FO the better the mottle! Unscented one's use mineral oil lie Scented suggested. :) HTH and hope they turn out for you! :)

• 3 years later...