Factoring in FO costs

kforbs126

I use the actual invoice amount with shipping and calculate the average price per oz. Periodically I review the cost the same way to make sure I am accounting for price or shipping increases.

Once I saw the real cost per oz I was spending on FO I learned to order more thriftly and stick to the smallest % of FO necessary to scent my candles. If it doesn't scent my candles at 6% (or 1oz pp) I move on to another FO. You simply can't stay in the business if you don't learn to cut costs.

Edited by Candybee

The cost of the FO plus shipping and then the average of those two factors. I have cut back a lot on the usage of FO and trying to cut back even more. I am trying to follow Candybee's suggestion and the suggestion of others who say that if a FO doesn't scent to my standards at 1 oz per pound, then move on to another fragrance because there are sooooo many to choose from.

Edited by cynthia3030

Guest OldGlory

I average FO costs. For my wholesale accounts I only offer FOs that fall in the $1/oz range (which is pretty easy for me to do since I live so close to my primary supplier). When I buy 2 lb bottles I can get my FO cost down to less than 90 cents per lb but I still count that as $1/oz because I don't always buy the 2 lb bottle.