Not liking this 464

Great idea Moonshine on the candle swap.

Out of all the waxes I've been testing,,, 415 is what I may go with. It's one of those heat and cool to slushie waxes and my rhythm and sync for a day of power pouring are built around those wait times. I've done some rewicking with 415,, went back to cotton 60's and 51's as I was using some other brands for testing...Upped the FO load to 6%. And have added some beeswax, which is what I used with EL for smoother tops. It's starting to come around with a little more tweaking. Time will tell....

Edited by SherriLynn

I pulled the htp out and put cds in and they have a throw now. but not a huge throw though. but i will keep testing them till they're gone. i did get the 6006 in today and made a few candles to test and i ordered my 415 today. i will be testing the 6006 and 415 together in the next few days.

Great idea Moonshine on the candle swap.

Out of all the waxes I've been testing,,, 415 is what I may go with. It's one of those heat and cool to slushie waxes and my rhythm and sync for a day of power pouring are built around those wait times. I've done some rewicking with 415,, went back to cotton 60's and 51's as I was using some other brands for testing...Upped the FO load to 6%. And have added some beeswax, which is what I used with EL for smoother tops. It's starting to come around with a little more tweaking. Time will tell....

Have you tried the CD or CDN series with the 415? Those are what gave me the best burn and throw- beeswax, palm stearic and USA all definitely help this wax with appearance

Maybe we will have to see an interest in this swap....8 ounce is a good size - shipping could be costly but I am so curious to compare- I would love to know if my formula throws as good as I think it does and see if someone else's say 135 is strong when I couldn't get it to be! Lol

Update on my 464 testing...I still have not burned the ones I poured about 3 weeks ago but the CT is MUCH stronger now that they have been curing so long. 1 oz pp of CS honeydew, lime cooler, pumpkin souffle and egyptian amber. Will post here after burning...if I ever get around to it., lol

• 3 months later...

Hi

I am super new to this whole candle making experience. I have been testing 464 using Candle Science Fragrance oils and Eco wicks in 8oz jelly jars. I have tested Eco6, Eco8 & Eco10 Wicks with Cinnamon Bun, White Tea & Berries, Beach Linen, Vanilla and Oakmoss & Amber. I melted to 185, added fragrance and color at 175 and poured at 135 and 150 into warm jars. I have gotten virtually no hot throw and mild at best on cold throw. But the candles look beautiful. Even tops, no wet spots no holes, no frosting. Any suggestions? Can wick alone impact the hot throw that much? I am contemplating buying some CD wicks next. I am devouring everything I find on the forum but am just stumped. What are you all doing with the 464

Guest OldGlory

You may need to give them to testers, in case your sense of smell is burnt out right now. It happens.

Keep working with it. I've used 464 for lots of years and it kicks butt for me. Some fragrances are lighter throw than others, but that's the fragrance, not the wax. Also, I used Premier wicks and love them.

It doesn't matter what container I put my 464 in, it is consistent for me.

post-10266-139458518704_thumb.jpg

I started testing my 464 soy wax with great success,I use them in 16 oz blue mason jars,but only fill them up 14 oz.I use 10% FO, most of them from Rustic Escentuals.Great HT,CT with HTP 104 & 105 wicks.I let the test candles cure between 2 or 3 days.The 6 oz tins right now are testing for HTP 105 and CD 12.Will see.

Edited by Marion

464 is not an easy wax to work with, you have to test, test, test before you find the right formula...there's a lot of good info on this site, I remember adding CO at 1/2 teaspoon per lb of wax. I can't remember the exact temperature but don't pour it too hot. And overall I always had good result with NG's oil, I couldn't get anything with RE and Bittercreek oils I think because they are thicker oils.