USPS Online Tracking

daniedb

Whenever I print labels through PP or ClicknShip, and I get the free tracking, the site never updates the process until the pkg is delivered. Is it the same for y'all, or am I missing something? My customers get frustrated when they try to track, especially when it takes longer (like at CHristmas), I've even had a couple people say something like, "The site only says that the shipper electronically notified that the package should be expected for pickup," and they have this implication that I haven't shipped it, or the tracking would be updated. KWIM? I explain that USPS doesn't update the numbers, but I just wanted to double check that I'm not missing some obvious way to get them to actually *gasp* TRACK the package.

Same here. Occasionally it will say the package has been accepted at the origin PO, which sounds a bit better than "electronic shipping info received". I agree this gives the feeling it may not really have been shipped, but what can you do? On one rare occasion it did update halfway, saying it was "enroute" but that was just a one time thing.

P.S. This is the reason why I do not normally give out the tracking # to customers. It doesn't provide any useful info. If the package shows it's been delivered and the customer claims she didn't receive it, only then would I supply the tracking # as some sort of proof.

BINGO...what Gerrie said. USPS DOES NOT provide package tracking. Delivery Confirmation is just that. It allows you to confirm when said package has been delivered...that's it. The site is updated in the afternoons, thus the delay.

No, it doesn't actually track the package. It's more just like a delivery confirmation IMO. Sometimes when you actually drop the package off at the post office, and the employee scans it, it will show something like "accepted in San Diego on 11/22/06", (or something like that), then won't show up again until it gets delivered to it's destination.

when you put in your tracking number, it will say "in transit" but there should be a little link below that, that says "view detail" something or other, and it will tell you where your package is step by step. I think this is what you're talking about, but if not, just laugh and ignore me!

I sell on ebay and had tons of emails daily asking why I wouldn't ship. I was spening hours tracking down when I shipped etc... I called the local post office, then their boss and so on. Finally I started taking copies of all the emails I got daily to the post office and having them look them up. I explained what was going on...It took over a year and a half, but my little post office nows scans in every one of my packages.

If i go to one of the larger towns they automatically scan, The larger town, they give you sh__ but they will scan.

I hate to say this but what finally worked for me was underpay.

I deliberately under paid on every package. I went to the post office everyday just before closing. They had to scan in since I was under paid and then charge me a few cents. A couple of days of this and the manager took me aside and explained that I would was keeping people over and it was costing money. I said my time is just as valuable and this is the only way I can assure that my packages are scanned. I also told them I would continue to do it as this way was only taking up an hour of my day and without the tracking I was spending 2-4 hours answering emails. It worked and now I can once again drive down to my tuiny post office and they scan every package.

imo, if they are going to have a message that says it was made and was expected then they should scan so that is says it was dropped off. If they just had a message that says the label was made that would be different.

As far as the packages saying anything else, that is usually a bad sign. They do not unload and scan every package every night or new place it is left for pickup like ups and I wouldn't expect them to do that, However I think they should scan them in and scan them when they arrive.

I have also had customers tell me that items were delievred, but they don't have them and the po has been able to find out who scanned them in. That is a nice option.

So raise a little heckola and you will get them scanned in, it might take some drastic measures though.

I hate to say this but what finally worked for me was underpay.

I deliberately under paid on every package. I went to the post office everyday just before closing. They had to scan in since I was under paid and then charge me a few cents. A couple of days of this and the manager took me aside and explained that I would was keeping people over and it was costing money. I said my time is just as valuable and this is the only way I can assure that my packages are scanned. I also told them I would continue to do it as this way was only taking up an hour of my day and without the tracking I was spending 2-4 hours answering emails. It worked and now I can once again drive down to my tuiny post office and they scan every package.

Wow, what a clever idea! I think if I were to do this, I would not dare to admit I purposely underpaid. I might make up an excuse like, "Oh, my scale must be off". That would be understandable because a 1 lb 0.5 oz package is charged at the 2 lb rate, so if my scale isn't calibrated as accurately as theirs and I get a reading of 1 lb, I would be thinking to pay the 1 lb rate.

Mona, good link. This is what they said on that page:

Tracking information is available for Express Mail® mailpieces only (including Global Express Guaranteed®™* and Global Express Mail™*).

I know in my town, they scan it at the PO, I just hate to pay extra for delivery confirmation if I can get it free online. I see our PO guy scan my pkgs when he picks them up, so I wonder if that's a different thing than the scanning they do at the PO when it says it's been accepted.

I'm going to have to add something to my website that explains the tracking/delivery confirmation confusion - that way, hopefully, I can eliminate some unnecessary emailing like Nana has found a way to do!