Wax and FO percentages spreadsheet to share!

A sweet poster here (I will let her self identify if she chooses-I do not want to name her if she does not wish) asked if I had anything like this and I did not. She detailed out the ratios for 1 pound on graph paper, shared with me, I entered her data into a spreadsheet and my Excel whiz husband entered the formulas and did the math out to 6 pounds.

I keep my percentages simpler than this and typically do not make more than 1 pound of any fragrance at a time but she does and likely most everyone else does, too.

Unfortunately, I cannot post the actual Excel doc here but I made it an image so that I could share.

post-14519-139458512567_thumb.jpg

Still cannot get the image larger. Will work on it again later!

Edited by justajesuschick
Need to make image larger!

So here's a random question that has probably been asked before: When figuring fragrance oil percentages (and dealing with maximum recommended percentages), do you aim for a percentage of the total weight of wax + FO, or for a percentage of the weight of the wax alone? For example, in the chart upthread, it suggests that 10% FO for a pound of wax is 1.6 ounces. But if you were to add 1.6 ounces of FO to 16 ounces of wax, the FO would only make up about 9% of the total weight (which is actually 17.6 ounces once the FO is added). If you wanted 1.6 ounces of FO to be 10% of the total weight, you'd need to add it to 14.4 ounces of wax.

So which is the "officially right" way to do it? If you have a wax that maxes out at 10%, which of the above methods (add 1.6 oz. of FO to 14.4 oz. of wax, or add 1.6 oz. of FO to 16 oz. of wax) would you use?

So here's a random question that has probably been asked before: When figuring fragrance oil percentages (and dealing with maximum recommended percentages), do you aim for a percentage of the total weight of wax + FO, or for a percentage of the weight of the wax alone? For example, in the chart upthread, it suggests that 10% FO for a pound of wax is 1.6 ounces. But if you were to add 1.6 ounces of FO to 16 ounces of wax, the FO would only make up about 9% of the total weight (which is actually 17.6 ounces once the FO is added). If you wanted 1.6 ounces of FO to be 10% of the total weight, you'd need to add it to 14.4 ounces of wax.

So which is the "officially right" way to do it? If you have a wax that maxes out at 10%, which of the above methods (add 1.6 oz. of FO to 14.4 oz. of wax, or add 1.6 oz. of FO to 16 oz. of wax) would you use?

There is some debate to the "correct" method. Personally I use the percentage of total weight once the whole batch is together, which is your second example. I believe you'll find different people do different things, but in my research from this forum I found the percentage of total weight was what manufacturers were suggesting. But that's JMHO, not gospel. Testing is the best answer!