Anyone want to comment on this burn

Not commenting on the soy burn because I don't use soy (at least not the one you used here), but I thought ball jars had different look. This looks like an 8oz. jelly jar for sure. Look at the pic in the following link:

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlecontainers_smooth-sided-jelly-jar-8oz.html

Is this what it looks like? If so, it's a jj.

Good luck!

Its definitely a Ball Mason quilted jelly jar.

From your pictures the burn looks fine. The only way to be sure is test it all the way to the bottom. By the time it reaches the bottom the sides will have caught up (about half way down). A good burn will have minimal to no soot buildup. This is not the same as sootless. All candles soot. But having a soot free 'clean' jar is one of the burn properties you are looking for.

The farther down the candle the wick burns the less oxygen it will have and will start to flicker more and more. I prefer a jar that is cool enough to the touch you can pick it up during any portion of the burn-- particularly towards the end. If I know its cool enough to pick up at the end of the jar the wick is not burning too hot. It also means it burns longer.

Edited by Candybee

Update: This is after the second 2.5 hour burn,I'm thinking already that it's overwicked,lots of puffing black smoke,actually caught some in the pic

I do like how its keeping the side of the jar fairly clean which is the reason I went from Eco10 to Eco12,the other pic is one that I've had burning with an Eco10 and as you can see there is alot of wax being left on the side of the jar, Thoughts?

post-21802-139458512409_thumb.jpg

post-21802-139458512412_thumb.jpg

post-21802-139458512416_thumb.jpg

Did you burn the original wick, the Eco 10, all the way to the bottom of the jar? That jar tapers in towards the bottom so its going to burn hotter in the second half of the burn. The second half burn for these jars is more important than the top half where its wider. As it burns hotter in the second half the side wax should 'catch' up.

I didn't see a side shot. How deep is your melt pool at 4 hours? I prefer 1/8 inch. Many others prefer double that. How hot is the glass (get an infrared temperature gun for that)?

I don't see soot which is good, but might also mean hot temperatures (and that is something you have to regulate).

Be careful about the wick that drops off and makes the black wick parts in the wax. One of those that floats close to the flame will burn and then you have a problem. I'm guessing you didn't trim the wick, which is good, cuz your customers will fail to do that no matter how well you educate them.

You'll need to burn it all the way to the end to see what happens. A tall wick base will be good in a candle like that.

From what I can see, the burn is fine, but I don't know your clock time. The last set of photos seem to show a 1/4 inch pool. If you got that after an hour and it stayed that way to 4 hours, great. It does seem a bit hot to me though (but I tend to underwick). If it got to the 1/4 inch depth at a half hour, then its overwicked IMHO.

Edited by EricofAZ