Hot weather question

So I have a huge event this weekend, 200k plus people expected and guess what the weather is supposed to be almost 90. Now what to do? I have candles made from 444 and cb 135 plus my tarts and votives from excel pb and millscreek pillar blend. I will be under an awning and on the water but I am starting to get nervous about how my candles will be affected. What do you all suggest or what has been your experience? After the almost snowy weekend we just had I was hoping for a nice 74 degree day.

Thanks,

Karen

Guest OldGlory

Hi Karen,

I am not a 444, cb 135, excel pb, or millscreek pillar blend user so I can't give you my own firsthand experience. However, I am told 444 holds up in heat better than 464 which is one of the waxes I use. If it's over 85 degrees I know my candles (464) are going to start sweating/melting so I don't do shows outside in the heat.

What might help you is to buy a few fans (if elec is available, or battery operated if elec is NOT available) and keep the candles as cool as possible that way. If you can insulate your understock with newspapers underneath and on top that would help too. You didn't say if you'll be on grass or on pavement, but pavement really heats up and holds heat so keep your stock up off the pavement. I would also suggest telling your buyers that natural waxes are softer than many parrafins, and to keep them in a cool place and in an upright position in case they do start to melt.

Best of luck at the show. I hope you do really well!

I don't do candles anymore but I remember an outdoor craft show I did many years ago in the Summer heat, everything started sweating and my wax got soft.

Maybe you can test your products ahead of time to see exactly how they react to the heat. I would get some cheap styrofoam coolers with ice packs. Uline has thermal packaging and you can reuse it for the next event.

Good luck!

I place candles in their boxes in coolers packed with the frozen blue pouches to keep them cool and only kept out candles for customers to sniff. Once they start melting you can't go back. Label the coolers so you know which fragrances are where and keep them packed in your vehicle and run the ac often. You can use ice but you have to make sure that the melted ice doesn't get to your product. HTH

Steve

Thank you everyone for your replies. I keep watching the weather and hoping fro a change but looks like it is not going to happen. It is never in the 90's here in New England this early we usually have to wait till at least the end of July for that. I have an awning and bought sides for it to keep out the sun. We are on grass and on the Charles river so I am hoping for a breeze. I will be bringing lots of coolers with ice packs. I cannot have my car on site with me, we have to unload and park it else where. I am hoping for the best as I have about 300 candles ready to go and about 100 assorted bars of soap. I think my votives and tarts should be okay as they are made with a pillar blend.

Karen

My main event runs weekened from July thru Labor Day. I have to keep full displays and no visible coolers. Last year we had record highs in the 90's every day thru the entire event. I built my displays to hold ice packs beneath the candles and other meltables, and used aspen shred to conceal the packs under the candles.

http://www.uline.com/BL_1972/Excelsior?keywords=Shred

Some ice packs were bought pre-made from uline, and I made some large custom ice packs using my Food Saver system doubling the bags to guard against leaks. The microzones of cool really helped the soy candles. If candle surfaces started to get dewey i rotated them to the bottom of the display nearer the chilled area. The candles held up great.

• 2 weeks later...

I use battery power fans. I put three on my tables, it also helps to fan the fragrance to entice people to enter the tent. I use to do shows in FL during the summer and that is how I managed. Now in NC it doesn't get that hot, but I always carry my fans with me just in case. Also I don't use the sides on my tent, instead I purchased shade cloth from the local hardware store, put grommets on it and use velcro straps to hold it to the canopy. The shade cloth helps the air to flow around but keeps the sun off.post-976-139458511295_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...