Ready to throw in the towell!

Using a 12 inch status jar, I have tried GW464, C3, CB advanced, CB135 and tried blending the soy waxes, but get no acceptable HT even after weeks of curing. I have tried echo8, CD 12,14,16 wicks. Grudgingly I decided maybe some paraffin blend would help with HT so used Accusoy#30 and it did help some but was major soot city even wicked down to Echo8. I really want to use soy but cannot sell candles with no HT. I would not want to buy them even tho they look perfect. Help!

I have a few cases of 12 oz and 21 oz status jars sitting there. I haven't been able to find a good wick for 464. Went back to my other jars. I don't have time to play with them now, with upcoming shows to get ready for. Sorry you are having trouble too!

Of the waxes you listed, imo, the C3 throws best. I use CDNs with an 8.5% fo load. Soy is picky when it comes to oils...here are a few that throw great in C3 for me...CS Macintosh, Mistletoe, Beach Linen...Peak Ocean, Key Lime, Lemon Poundcake, CandleSource Butt Naked, Grapefruit, Pink Sugar...hth

Thanks to all of you for the advice, sorry you had to listen to me whine; but at least I feel better now having griped a bit and maybe I will do what Beth said and try a new jar. About an hour ago I lit a new candle made with banana nut bread FO, the HT is good, the best HT I've made so far. I think maybe I should concentrate only on the very strongest FOs and forget trying to make the others work. If any of you know of super strong FOs that will work in soy, please let me know. Thanks for your help, I appreciate you.

I never tried that jar but used 464 for many years before I switched to 415 and I always used CD wicks and had good throw. CS oils always seemed to work well with that wax- but I had to use 9% FO per pound in most scents

What oils have you been using and your heat/pour temps? Try another jar maybe and make sure your adding the FO no lower than 160 and I did always have to cure for at least 5 days

The 12 oz status jar can be wicked, with my parasoy blend I am using HTP-73 or 93 depending on the FO. When I was using 464 exclusively I wicked with CD -12 (maybe 14, but it was a CD wick). Like most soy waxes, you have to pick and choose your FOs.

RJDaines: What parasoy blend are you using, are you satisfied with the HT, also do you notice much soot? I decided to try Acusoy#30 and it smoked like a chimney. Thanks

I use a blend of 75% 4625 and 25% 464, different percentages around those numbers would most likely work as well. I have also tried 415 and 444 and they work as well as 464. HT is great, not will all FOs but that is true of any wax. Smoking means that it is not wicked properly but you will see that in any wax, yes, soy will smoke. I don't know anything about Acusoy but a lot of people here use a type of parasoy and there must be a reason for that.

Thanks RJ, I will try more of the soy blends and see what I can come up with. If I have good luck with something I will post it and maybe it will help someone else who is having the same problem.

Imo, the 12oz. Status jar is a tad difficult to wick. I do not use soy, but found that with the paraffins I use (4633, 4786, CBLs), a 51 zinc works best and gives me great HT.

When it comes to soy wax, I am sorry, can't help you there, but as Beth suggested, perhaps give a different jar a try; it may make a big difference :smiley2:

Maybe check with Swan Creek Candles, they make a soy candle in the 12 oz status jar and they burn really well and throw like crazy. They probably won't give you all the info but I'm sure

they'd be happy to tell you what soy wax and what type of wick (it's one of the flat braided). They only soot when it gets very low in the jar.

Edited by kandlekrazy

Maybe check with Swan Creek Candles, they make a soy candle in the 12 oz status jar and they burn really well and throw like crazy. They probably won't give you all the info but I'm sure

they'd be happy to tell you what soy wax and what type of wick (it's one of the flat braided). They only soot when it gets very low in the jar.

I am sure they would simply laugh and tell any person the same as I would. It's proprietary. I don't tell other candle makers outside my job/message boards squat about my candles. It's my bread and butter. The less they know the more I make.

Ok call General Wax - the outlet store, they give out info all the time and they make a soy candle in a status jar. They actually do classes there and sell all the

candlemaking supplies which is probably why they will give out info. I have found that other sites that sell supplies and make candles also are very helpful.