Portable power for cash register at an outdoor show....

Moneypenny

Hi everyone! I would love to have some advice on where I could acquire a portable power device to use to power a cash register at an outdoor show! Does anyone know where these are sold online? I ususally do not do outdoor shows but this show I am doing June 1st is just too good to pass up. A friend of mine who owns a popular tea room is hosting a spring market on the grounds outside her beautiful tea room! Hoping for great weather but I soooo need my cash register because it is just sooo much faster with transactions than the old fashioned hand ticket! Any information would be wonderful!! Thanks so much!!!:cheesy2:

Angie;

I've been searching for a DC to AC power converter for you and was stopped dead in my tracks when Sue posted the link for a battery operated cash register.

I really think you might be well ahead in the game if you considered it.

I have three similar Royal registers (AC) that have been serving me faithfully for years and are still in great working condition. The only thing I've ever had to replace on them is the ink rollers every year or so.

The power converter MAY be less money and may provide some additional service options for you, but there are other issues that will go along with it. The ones I'm familiar with are noise, require your auto to be nearby and running from time to time to keep from draining the battery and require cord(s) which may be a safety (tripping) hazard.

Event coordinators may not approve the use of one and you may find that you're stuck with something you may not use more than once if at all.

It's been years since I used one (for a PA system) but it was more expensive than the WM register. The prices may have come down and the quality may have improved, though.

I hope you manage to get something to work for you that provides you with a good return on your investment.

(((((((((((Hugs))))))))))))

"Me"

I've been using this cash register for the past 2+ years. IMO it's well worth the money. If you're concerned about battery usage I think I've only changed the batteries twice and on more than one occasion I've forgot to turn it off. Not a problem because it times out and turns itself on standby. Mine has paid for itself. In the past during busy shows I would skip looking up and adding the taxes so my customers wouldn't have stand in line. I now collect tax on every sale. The report feature is nice too. You know exactly what you sold on CC, checks and cash sales (if you void out your mistakes).

HTH

There is another option, which I believe emilyspoppy was eluding to. With a power inverter, you can run an AC cash register from a car battery or even a jump charger. The battery doesn't need to be in a car, it can be a spare one you have access to. Since the cash register really doesn't need much power, a fairly low power inverter would suffice.

Here is one from Harbor Freight that you can attach to a spare car battery. http://www.harborfreight.com/400-watt-continuous-800-watt-peak-power-inverter-66814.html

This is another option. This is an inverter that plugs into what used to be called a cigarette lighter: http://www.sears.com/peak-150-watt-power-cup-inverter/p-02876411000P?prdNo=11&blockNo=11&blockType=G11

The item directly above with the use of a car jump starter with a 12V port like the one in the next link, would work also: http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-jump-start-and-power-supply-38391.html

What you can't see in the pictures of the last item, is that it has a 12V power port to plug the Inverter into. I used something like the first and third link to power a very powerful fan for my booth last summer.

If you have a jump starter similar to the one in my third link, you merely would need an inverter to plug your existing cash register into. You can be all set for $30 - $50 depending on what you already have on hand.

I have been using that version of Royal battery powered register for several uears and love it. The printing is a little slow on battery, but not to the point of being a hinderance when it is busy. I use maybe one set of batteries per season - even during a 9 week event. As someone above mentioned it has an auto sleep mode.

I use the departments so it is easy to tell what products are selling well. It is one of my most favorite things for events.

Hi everyone! Thanks so very much for all of your very helpful recommendations!! I really do love this board! After careful consideration and conversation with my friend Melanie who owns the tea room, I believe I will be going with the battery powered cash register by Royal. I really love the Royal register I already have and I am sure it will be a great addition! Thanks so much and ((((((((hugs))))))) right back at ya Dave my dear friend!!!:smiley2:

Hi everyone! Thanks so very much for all of your very helpful recommendations!! I really do love this board! After careful consideration and conversation with my friend Melanie who owns the tea room, I believe I will be going with the battery powered cash register by Royal. I really love the Royal register I already have and I am sure it will be a great addition! Thanks so much and ((((((((hugs))))))) right back at ya Dave my dear friend!!!:smiley2:

:highfive:

Way to go, dear friend!

(I did like the idea of having a fan, though!) lol

Thanks for the info on the Royal register. Looks like a good investment. I've been thinking of getting one myself. Love the reviews on the Royal registers. Sounds like they are the most reliable and user friendly. I hate having to figure out how to program some electronics. Some companies just don't get it.