Wholesale Scent Limits?

Ok, trying to get going on wholesaling...been reading the boards for days, and thank you to everyone for all their input and all the knowledge that I've gained. My question is do you guys limit the scents, go with your best sellers, I figured on keeping this to 3 oil suppiers, and maybe 15 scents with 5 seasonal scents...is this too many? too few? OHHHHHHHHH, I wish I was ready already..LOL

Melts....as I calculate this..my wholesale price will be 2.75..does this sound ok?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it

Candy :smiley2:

Ok, trying to get going on wholesaling...been reading the boards for days, and thank you to everyone for all their input and all the knowledge that I've gained. My question is do you guys limit the scents, go with your best sellers, I figured on keeping this to 3 oil suppiers, and maybe 15 scents with 5 seasonal scents...is this too many? too few? OHHHHHHHHH, I wish I was ready already..LOL

Melts....as I calculate this..my wholesale price will be 2.75..does this sound ok?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it

Candy :smiley2:

I'd do less than that. Maybe 12 total -- rotating out 2-3 seasonal scents ever 3 months.

Edited by rctfavr3

I agree with rctfvr. For wholesale I personally do 2 times cost for wholesale. But my area has had a tougher time with economy. With all my pricing though I do factor in a percent labour charge on top of the wholesale markup. So the 2 x is really somewhat higher.

Edited by JI

I don't wholesale melts. But I do wholesale candles. What worked best for me was to stick to 12 scents-- exactly the amount of jars that fit in a case. That made them easy to carry as a sample set to my wholesale customers along with a color brochure.

I didn't want to have too many scents available as it means carrying extra oils that I may or may not use and that costs money.

I wish I only offered 12 or so scents....but they want more...they want more! I offer all 50 of my scents and it does cost alot to have those in stock all the time. I figured I would need to keep ALL of the scents I offer, moving. Why have 38 scents that are on the shelf just sitting there?

I am ashamed to admit I just updated my list of fragrances that we offer and it is 112. This does include ones that I just do in the fall which is about 20 but dang that's alot. However I do offer any and all of them to my wholesale accounts but if they pick 1 that we don't sell much of otherwise I request they take 3 candles, our batch size, or 10 melts of that scent. It seems like everytime I delete 1 scent I and 2 more.

I have really been trying to slim down too but then I add an extra! Including seasonal I have 30. But fortunately five of these are blends of each other. So I have lavender and linens as separate fragrances. But then I offer it as a blend. It is nice to get three fragrances out of two oils so to speak! Especially since I buy those big 5 lb containers.

I started with 20 and am now up to 55 or so in 10 years. I drop some and add some as i go every year. My average customer carries 5-6 scents. I've seen some smaller companies offer 100 scents and up and order it as they get an order. It makes it confusing for some customers, plus of you order what you need at a time you will never make a profit. I would stick with around 15 to start.

• 3 weeks later...

I have about 90 scents right now and they are all available to my wholesalers! They love the variety and I do not limit them to seasonal especially if they tell me how well it is selling! For instance, on of my stores told me that they were really selling Harvest year round so that is fine with me! Lol! Some of my fragrances are available in melts only and not candles but if I have a store asking, I will test and supply them with a candle too! This is just what works for me and I am sure there are differtent experiences but their wish is my command! Good luck!!