I'm a moron when it comes to cutting loaf soap

WillowBoo

:Werd:

I can't anything straight either, soap, cheese, veggies.... DH actually makes fun of me.

If it's one of the metal mitre boxes, I think those work the best. I also picked up a couple of smooth cutters from the place below. DH sharpened them up for me. The blade is centered in the wood so it's a little easier to push down level. I find M&P very difficult to cut. Guess I don't have the hand or arm strength.

http://soapcutters.com/handcutters/#Smooth_Soap_Cutter

Edited by ProudMarineMom

I hate to brag.........but..........after 25 years of cutting cakes I'm quite handy cutting my soaps. I don't use a cutter or miter box, I just measure with my finger and cut with my favorite meat slicer knife. My bars are usually within 1/4 ounce of each other.

So ladies, just cut and eat more cake and you will have it made!! Guaranteed!!

:grin2:

I'm kinda like Chefmom- no special cutters or mitre boxes. I'm good to go with my ruler and a large chef knife. I just take my soap log or slab and slide one side of it flush up against something with a straight, flat edge so that my ruler has something straight and unmovabe to work off of, and then I measure with my ruler and mark off little notches where I want my slices to be.

First, I make notches all along the top edge nearest to me, then I do the same to the top edge farthest from me. And then on the vertical side of the soap that's facing me head-on, I also measure and make guiding notches all the way down at intervals, and all the way across (no need to bother with the vertical face on the opposite side, btw).

When I go to cut, I just lay my knife perpendicular across the top of the soap so that the sharp edge of the knife rests in the first 2 notches that I made on the nearest and furthest edges of the soap, and then I cut straight down, being careful that my knife follows the guiding notches that I made at intervals all the way down on the vertical face of the soap. Then I go on to the next notches, etc., until I'm done. Sure, it's not as fast as using a cutter, but it gives me perfectly uniform slices every time at no cost to me other than a few extra minutes of my time.

Hats off to anyone who can cut the soap without using a mitre box; I cannot. :embarasse

WillowBoo, if you use a metal mitre box, place the edge of your soap log against the mitre box lip; hold the soap steady against that lip, insert the cutter into the 1" or 2" slot, and push straight down. If you use the wavy cutter, the soap may end up looking even "better". Good luck!:wink2: