Sorting and testing FO's

denetteb

So...I decided this week that I have way too many FOs that have not been tested and are just sitting the tubs that I store them in. I really want to buy some more, but don't feel like I can justify the purchase until I try the oils that I have. I mean, what is the point in buying more sugar cookie FOs if I already have the best one...but don't even know it because I have not tried it yet. :undecided Needless to say, I am on a mission to test, test test!

Well, all my testing thoughts has me wondering how you all do your testing. For example, if you are on a mission to find the best sugar cookie, do you buy a bunch of different sugar cookie FOs and test them all at once, or do you make a bunch of different purchases from various supplies until you accumulate a bunch of sugar cookie FOs and then test them all at once, or do you test whatever scents you are in the mood for, in any random order, and then keep some of the testers around to compare to similar scents when you finally get around to pouring all the similar oils?

At this moment in time, I am on a mission to test all my similar scents (ex. all my cinnamon roll/buns, sugar cookies, chocolate, blueberry, etc.) so I can hopefully find a favorite and stop buying similar ones and use my funds to branch out and try new things! I have a feeling that no matter how much I test, I am pretty sure that I will continue to buy certain scents from every supplier I try, just in case I am missing out on a "good one." *sigh*

If I want to find "the best" of a specific fragrance I buy 3 from different suppliers. I start with the suppliers that I frequent the most and I pour and test them back to back over a week or so. I'll burn one in the morning, then let the scent air out and test a different one for the same time in the evening and back and forth through the week. Then I decide from there.

It can be maddening. I'll go through the sample box and sometimes I look at one, smell it and I just can't figure out what made me want to try it. Must have seemed like a good idea at the time!! :rolleyes2

I'm a bit different. I'll go with something from a supplier and try it out. If I don't like it, I'll go to another supplier and sample that way. If I would consistently do that, I wouldn't have Dragon's Blood from four different suppliers or cedar from three ... etc. If I get into a mood to try to change or compare something against what I've got, I'll sample it at some point. I won't say this keeps my spending down, but I was told no buying last year (and that almost happened), because I have too much.

I buy one at a time but I'm not much of a FOHo. If I'm happy with the first one I buy, I stop there. The only time I buy more than one of the same scent is if perhaps there are several similar scents from the same supplier. For example, if I'm looking for an orange and the supplier has several oils with an orange base, I might get samples of each.

I buy one at a time but I'm not much of a FOHo. If I'm happy with the first one I buy, I stop there. The only time I buy more than one of the same scent is if perhaps there are several similar scents from the same supplier. For example, if I'm looking for an orange and the supplier has several oils with an orange base, I might get samples of each.

Me too. But first I search for that specific FO on craftserver and see which suppliers are the favorites for that one, then I pick one supplier to buy it from; and if I love it I don't need to buy another one, but if I'm not satisfied I try the same scent from a different supplier.

Designing my own candle fragrances is the only fun thing left for me to do after making candles for over thirty years. I HATE wicking jars and melting and pouring and cleaning and labeling and you all know the rest.

I'm easily bored and my dear wife who promised to share in the load when we opened our shop over a decade ago has about thrown in her towel too.

I am, though, a "FO-HOLIC" of the 1st degree!

I can't help myself even though I know that I'm wasting large sums of hard-earned money trying to acquire at lease a sample of every FO in America.

I have to stop!

I have spent the last four days in my wheelchair (That's another story!) while my wife is away for a week of scrapbooking fun and games, sorting through my rolling racks of fragrances. I have many in five gallon jugs. and seriously thousands in smaller amounts, mostly full pound unused bottles. It's simply ridiculous.

Right now I'm on restricted membership. I have to wait my time, but I've been eyeing that marketing forum ever since I arrived here. I'd rather sell on a candle board to chandlers than do the eBay thing. I will even be offerring fragrances that I purchased within the month at a huge price break.

Once I get my stock more manageable, I plan to take the path that "Scented" seems to be on.

When I do get to sell my overstock, some of my own design included, they will be fresh and full stregnth. Any junk will be hauled off to the local transfer station for recycling.

My reputation means more to me than money!

My wife doesn't know this yet, but I'm about to journey into B&B when things are sorted out here.

Maybe I can get some help from her then!

Keep testing, no matter what method you like to use, but keep an eye on your inventory. Try not to be as foolish as I have been.

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

Keep testing, no matter what method you like to use, but keep an eye on your inventory. Try not to be as foolish as I have been.

There are many of us who started out buying all 3 or 4 or 8 or 14 of a specific aroma to compare against one another. And then why pay $2.50 for one ounce when you get a pound for $16? Now there are 15 ounce bottles just laying around collecting dust ... or 3 of an aroma that are exactly the same because they are from different suppliers but the same manufacturer. If I had it all over to do again I'd follow Scented's advice.

There are many of us who started out buying all 3 or 4 or 8 or 14 of a specific aroma to compare against one another. And then why pay $2.50 for one ounce when you get a pound for $16? Now there are 15 ounce bottles just laying around collecting dust ... or 3 of an aroma that are exactly the same because they are from different suppliers but the same manufacturer. If I had it all over to do again I'd follow Scented's advice.

Somebody stop me, this is exactly what I do! And after I smell the 4 or 8 or 14 different scents oob, I put my favorite into wax (yeah, I know!) and then the rest just sit around. I've spent the last month sorting through them trying to decide if I really want to try this or that scent, or do I want to just pass it along! I'm running out of basement space!

LOL! Well having 4 to 5 different Dragon's Blood, the same in vanilla sandalwood and rose fragrances etc., won't even mention patchouli, I ummmm hope I've learned. Can't guarantee it, because I'm finding several in my stash that are the same as this one and that one etc. However, I never bought sample sizes, because what if ... just what if it was the one ... then I'd have to go back and buy a pound when, if I had a pound to begin with, I could do all I wanted. (That and buying pounders is cheaper.)

Somebody stop me, this is exactly what I do! And after I smell the 4 or 8 or 14 different scents oob, I put my favorite into wax (yeah, I know!) and then the rest just sit around. I've spent the last month sorting through them trying to decide if I really want to try this or that scent, or do I want to just pass it along! I'm running out of basement space!

I bet the majority of us are guilty of the same thing. I just made a pledge to my partner that I was going to start at one shelf and just make the stuff, be done with it. We'd have it in stock or be ready with it even if it is a fall or winter scent. But after saying that, now I'm like, but what if I'm not in the mood for that fragrance at the time I pull a bottle and do we really want 20+ pillars of one scent sitting around when I get to the pounders. Regrettably, I do have like 10 4oz bottles, a few 8ozers too, but the bulk of stuff is all pounders and above and I will likely get very sick of the fragrance before I get done with the bottle. Now if I had a basement I would be in big trouble. That would be lots of room to work with and I'm salivating at wishing I so had one. I've been forced to stop stocking up just because I don't have room for new stuff.

I use a variety of methods. The biggest thing I did was commit to starting just with 1 ounce bottles. EVEN if everyone here said I would love it. Worked out well for me because we are all so different, everyone's favorite pumpkin, for instance, may not have been for me. I have ordered in excess of 300 bottles and from 17 suppliers, but NOT at once.

If I am after a particular scent (like I am now with Blackberry), then I order from references here, from a new supplier and now I am adding Blackberry to my list from suppliers from whom I regularly order.

Again, I only order the scents I am trying in 1 ounce bottles and once I like something well enough that I am going to us it again and again, I order larger bottles. I have taken advantage of build your own samplers and discounts once you order say 10, 1 ounce bottles so it has not been a bad way to go. It also means that I do not have pounds of scents that I do not care for or will not use sitting.

p.s. I also keep all 1 ounce FO bottles. You would not believe the times I have gone back to resniff (for myself or others here with questions) or check what I have against one someone sent me in swap to see if thy are the same. I also have a ridiculous spreadsheet that keeps me from rebuying something I have or had and did not care for. It looks a bit like I am running a 1 ounce FO bottle museum. I should snap a pic. It is funny. Well, to me.

Edited by justajesuschick