From Soy to Paraffin, So Much Easier!

Hi, I just wanted to post my testing results moving from soy (cb advance, then C3) to Paraffin. Just did 2 rounds of testing for the paraffin and I'm thrilled! It's so much easier (well, not cutting the IGI 4627) but my candles so far have no bubbles and they burned clean and look great! I have a 3" container and the suggested wicks from Candlescience were all underwicked, which I figured they would be, but other then that all looks great! I dusted off my Eco wicks from testing in cb advanced and one thing i noticed and remembered is they leave a discoloration in the melt pool, anyone else experience this?

I'm still toying with the idea of adding a "touch" of C3 to the Paraffin to call it a soy blend but I'm so happy not seeing bubbles that I'm not sure i want to mess with it. Regardless, I'd make sure I get the straight IGI 4627 correctly wicked and burning before I start mixing. Thanks for listening!

ps trying to switch this post to General Candle Making Discussions, can't seem to...

Edited by Zelda

Try HTP wicks with your 4627. Also, wait at least 2 or more days before test burning because the wax needs time to harden or you won't get an accurate result.

I'm glad you're so happy with your paraffin, I switched from 6006 parasoy to 4627 and I really like it. But don't expect much support from the veggie wax crowd, some of them might be offended that you posted this in their veggie wax section.

You don't have to cut your 4627, just get a huge restaurant-size spoon, like they serve with at cafeterias, then set it in your Presto pot until it's hot, then just scoop your wax out of the bag with your hot spoon.

Edited by HorsescentS

I should add, no offense to the veggie wax people! I LOVE soy and it was and is still my first choice for wax, it just doesn't like me right now. I will come back to it and keep trying, definitely want to do a 100% soy candle, just need more practice and sorry, I was trying to move this thread to the general candle making section, can't do it for some weird reason!

Guest OldGlory

Hi Zelda! I'm a 464 and 6006 user and I love my waxes and have great success with them.

I have no ill feelings toward you for posting in the veggie wax section (RME, hoping someone will be so kind as to roll them back to me later), and I wish you tons of luck and happiness with the wax of your choice. I'm sure the rest of us veggie wax users wish you only the best!

RE: wanting to add a "touch" of C3 to the paraffin - Are your customers asking for soy products? If not, why mess with success?

Then again, maybe a different pouring technique could help with the bubble situation.

OK, for you blenders of 4630 and 464 how did you decide what percentage was good for you, I've seen 75/25, 70/30, 60/40 and 50/50. I am using a 75/25 and arrived at that because, for me, it still gave me the great HT of 4630 and the 464 tamed the flame some and reduced soot. I also like the wax texture better with the soy, a less gooey and more firm. So, what happens as the amount of soy increases? I'm worried that I will lose some HT and the ability to use almost any FO.

OK, for you blenders of 4630 and 464 how did you decide what percentage was good for you, I've seen 75/25, 70/30, 60/40 and 50/50. I am using a 75/25 and arrived at that because, for me, it still gave me the great HT of 4630 and the 464 tamed the flame some and reduced soot. I also like the wax texture better with the soy, a less gooey and more firm. So, what happens as the amount of soy increases? I'm worried that I will lose some HT and the ability to use almost any FO.

rj....I've been using a blend of 4627/415 and CBL125/415 @ 75/25 and haven't lost any HT. I do get a less gooey candle with more opacity and the burn has tamed fairly nice. I did try 50/50 but found I lost some HT there. But that could be b/c I didn't let them cure long enough. Most I waited was a week usually only waiting 3-4 days.

Edited by jeanie353

• 2 weeks later...
rj....I've been using a blend of 4627/415 and CBL125/415 @ 75/25 and haven't lost any HT. I do get a less gooey candle with more opacity and the burn has tamed fairly nice. I did try 50/50 but found I lost some HT there. But that could be b/c I didn't let them cure long enough. Most I waited was a week usually only waiting 3-4 days.

Did you temper your 415 before adding it to your 4627?