My First Time

rjdaines

Woo-hoo! To me, it is easy and fun. I cannot offer any advice because I know nothing of pouring clamshells!

I do use 4625 and mix it with either 4627, 4630 and have now played with adding various percentages of 415. I use a ridiculous percentage of FO.

Have fun and post details and/or pics!

Good luck! Pour slowly. I poured a bunch the last couple of days and it was so nice. I hadn't poured in months!

If those are soy waxes ( I use ecosoya), I let mine cure for 7 days before testing. It's difficult to wait but soooo worth it.

What scents are you pouring?

I cannot believe I did not ask this!

I have a few FOs that don't wick well for me, Dragon's Blood and Cinnamon Buns to name two and I enjoy both of them. A temporary solution to this is to make melts so that I can enjoy them. As a starting FO I was thinking of Blueberry Muffin (Peaks) and then try those others if it works.

SuzyK - 4625 is a pillar paraffin wax and 415 is a basic soy wax. The 4625 should provide some shrinkage for mold release and the 415 will add a "richness" and lower the melt point. So my hypothesis goes :-)

4625 is a pillar paraffin wax and 415 is a basic soy wax. The 4625 should provide some shrinkage for mold release and the 415 will add a "richness" and lower the melt point. So my hypothesis goes :-)

Your hypothesis is right. This wax combo pops right out of my silicone molds. Now getting this combination, after melting and it has hardened, out of my melter dishes, do not get me started!

Your hypothesis is right. This wax combo pops right out of my silicone molds. Now getting this combination, after melting and it has hardened, out of my melter dishes, do not get me started!

Actually, this brings me to a question. I've never used a melt or a tart before and always wondered what (if anything) happens to the wax. Does it vaporize and eventually vanish or does it stay in the melter and lose it scent after repeated uses?

If it doesn't vaporize, I guess one does have to remove it from the dish at some point. My melter has a removable dish so I could pop it into the microwave to loosen it, or maybe the freeze would work.

I just pour the spent wax from my warmer dish into my "junk wax pan" when the scent is gone. Then I wipe it out with a paper towel & it's good to go.

I've not had good luck with turning off the warmer and still having good scent when I turn it back on. I just leave the warmer on & see how many hours I can get out of 1 melt.

I found just popping it into the freezer for a few minutes works- it pops right out. I'm saving my leftover wax to make firestarters (yes, in all my free time!, but I hate to have it go to waste). I've been using Suzy's suggestion of the ecosoya PB/excel blend- so far testing has been very good, love it! I've been pouring into portion cups, not using dye, just keeping them white. I just poured a bunch over the holiday, so now have to wait for them to cure (the hard part!). Good luck on your testing, let us know how it goes! I also had all those same questions you did, as I had not made melts, and I haven't ever bought one of the Sc**tsy melts or warmers- so I haven't had experience with them either. Have fun!

I found just popping it into the freezer for a few minutes works- it pops right out. I'm saving my leftover wax to make firestarters (yes, in all my free time!, but I hate to have it go to waste). I've been using Suzy's suggestion of the ecosoya PB/excel blend- so far testing has been very good, love it! I've been pouring into portion cups, not using dye, just keeping them white. I just poured a bunch over the holiday, so now have to wait for them to cure (the hard part!). Good luck on your testing, let us know how it goes! I also had all those same questions you did, as I had not made melts, and I haven't ever bought one of the Sc**tsy melts or warmers- so I haven't had experience with them either. Have fun!

I have a "ton" of PB left over from when I thought I'd be making soy candles, wonder if a PB/415 mix would work? I also have CD-Advanced but am wary of using that as it never had a great HT.

I love love love my blend of PB/Excel. I do have to pop the dish in the freezer for a minute or 2 to get the wax out. My customers say my melts last forever. :)

The wax doesn't go away because there's no fire to burn it away. just the scent goes away.

It never hurts to try the blend. I can't remember if you said 415 was a soft wax. PB is a hard wax so mixing it with the Excel works perfectly. Plus, excel is supposed to help with the heat throw and the frosting. Mine do frost after about 6 months but most people don't take that long to use them. I researched for 3 months before purchasing any supplies. I remember reading there were a lot of people who weren't thrilled with CB advanced so I decided not to try it.

I have a "ton" of PB left over from when I thought I'd be making soy candles, wonder if a PB/415 mix would work? I also have CD-Advanced but am wary of using that as it never had a great HT.

PB/415 makes an amazing melt! I do 60/40 and 9%- comes right out of the mold- no frost and wonderful throw for a long time IMO

Susy's blend of PB/excel is also amazing!

So now that your started and have PB....melt away! Lol

PB/415 makes an amazing melt! I do 60/40 and 9%- comes right out of the mold- no frost and wonderful throw for a long time IMO

Susy's blend of PB/excel is also amazing!

So now that your started and have PB....melt away! Lol

So glad that I have a closet full of waxes, I knew it would come in handy some day.

I tested my first melts today and I am pleased. They are a 50/50 mix of 4625 and 415 with Peaks Blueberry Muffin at 6%. I melted 3 cubes (from a pack of 6; 30 grams), not how people use these but 1 cubed seemed kind of tiny and 6 seems extravagant but I have no idea. I'm wondering if I should go up on the %FO to maybe 8%. Since there is no wick, I think the tendency would be to load these melts up with FO but that would up them more expensive. I saw the WalMart ones selling for $3 and Sentsy's at $5. I haven't calculated my costs yet but it might be hard to compete with $3.

What %FO do most of you all use?

You don't want to load them up with FO. Too much and they won't work properly and the FO will leak out if there's too much. I use 1.2 oz per pound. I don't consider Wal-mart my competition. I actually don't consider any large retail chain as competitor since I have had several people tell me none of them last even a day. So, in the long run mine are way cheaper.

I test 1 portion cup size or 2 cubes from the clamshell. I don't carry the clamshells anymore though.

I use 1.5 ounces in melts and have not had an issue with leakage with 415/PB or Xcel/PB

Although I recently have been testing 1.2 ounces per pound in a candle (415) Moonworks only so far- and I am not seeing a difference in throw and getting a better burn so I may try the 1.2 in melts and see- if I can save a couple bucks that would be a good thing!

• 2 weeks later...