types of soap?

JI

Hello Everyone, I know nothing about soap but am in candles. I have always loved Caswell-Massey soaps but my pocketbook doesn't feel the same. I have purchased cold press soaps from a couple of local soapers in my area. Dye free, fragranced with either fragrance and/or essential oils. Some have oatmeal for a little nice exfoliation and goatsmilk. They are undyed and brownish in colour. Good lather, moisturizing. They are soft and tend to "break down" a little even though I drain my soap dish and keep the soap elevated using the rim of the soap dish. I am on the quest to find a handmade soap that is similar to Caswell Massey. I don't need artificial dyes, but I would love to find a soap like this. Is this unrealistic? Is it not possible? CM soaps are just so fragrant and I love them. Maybe they're chock load of bad things and I just don't realize. This is why I am asking your soapers for your opinion.

This is why I make my own soap dishes. Commercial ones don't have enough air flow from the bottom of the dish or tall enough ledges in the bottom to keep a good dry environment.

You could ask the soap makers if they use sodium lactate or beeswax to help keep the bar hard.

Also I have found having two bars in use helps. That way when one is a little too wet you can switch back and forth and let them dry really well between uses.

So what type of soaps are caswell massey?

Copied this from their website - "All of our other soaps are made with a blend of coconut and palm oils, sometimes with olive oil added. Milk protein is in our milk line and Honey is used in our Goats Milk & Honey products. ... Please see the “ingredients” tab of the individual product for a full listing of ingredients."

Here's the link so you can but I haven't found the "ingredients tab" they mentioned. http://www.caswellmassey.com/bath-and-body-soap-bar-soap.aspx

French milled soap from Provence region of France is very nice. The soap base is crystalized and then ingredients are added and rolled between stainless steel rollers to make the paste uniform and this is done three times. I love French milled soap and this high end soap seems to have a long history pedigree and uses costly herbs in their product. You can normally get a huge bar of lavnder bud soap from de Provence for about $5.00. There have been countless discussions on what ingredients survive the saponification process and in answer to the question, I would say no. Rebatching and triple milling aren't the same thing and few soapers would afford the chemists and perfumers to concoct the formulas that would equal such a companies product. But yes, I believe you could aproximate that product and be just as satisfied with the results. I didn't find the French soap to be extrordinary for my skin but it was very nice and it stayed in the dish for a long time. There are hand crafters that produce soap as good or better than commercial (Irena of Ginger's Garden comes to mind) but the results are always subjective to the person using the produt and the type of skin and water hardness or softness in any given area of the world. IMHO

Steve

Awww! French milled soap. Got some years ago for Christmas. It was so nice I hated using it up but soooo nice I loved washing with it.

Wish there was a process for that for the handmade soapmaker. I don't think hand milled fits the same quality but I have seen some soapmakers selling hand milled handmade soap.

What soapmakers sell as hand milled is not, it is rebatch. Biggest point to the triple milling is creating a very long lasting smooth soap. Without the pressing & rolling equipment it is not possible to mill soap, but that does not mean handmade soap is inferior, it just needs to be treated a bit differently and let it dry between use. It is really best to remove it from a shower after use since showers tend to stay damp for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...
French milled soap from Provence region of France is very nice. The soap base is crystalized and then ingredients are added and rolled between stainless steel rollers to make the paste uniform and this is done three times. I love French milled soap and this high end soap seems to have a long history pedigree and uses costly herbs in their product. You can normally get a huge bar of lavnder bud soap from de Provence for about $5.00. There have been countless discussions on what ingredients survive the saponification process and in answer to the question, I would say no. Rebatching and triple milling aren't the same thing and few soapers would afford the chemists and perfumers to concoct the formulas that would equal such a companies product. But yes, I believe you could aproximate that product and be just as satisfied with the results. I didn't find the French soap to be extrordinary for my skin but it was very nice and it stayed in the dish for a long time. There are hand crafters that produce soap as good or better than commercial (Irena of Ginger's Garden comes to mind) but the results are always subjective to the person using the produt and the type of skin and water hardness or softness in any given area of the world. IMHO

Steve

Thank you Steve. I didn't find this thread til now.