Want to add Pillars to our collection.

We have had several customers asking for pillars for the holidays and we dont offer them yet . We are going to start testing for next year after the holidays when things calm down a bit. My question is on wicking. Primed or raw? I have been researching it and it seems like some use primed and some use raw. Is there any benefit to either one over the other? I will be testing with PB and LX wicks but dont want to order the wrong type. Lord knows we have many boxes of wrong items!!

Mike

I wick my molds before pouring and use raw LX for my parasoy blend. If you use wick pins you can use tabbed wicks. As far as not ordering the wrong type of wicking, you won't know what's right or wrong till you test. Good luck & have fun!! :cool2:

I have been doing pillars for several months now. I tried 100% soy pillar blend, but it's very brittle, I can't get it to throw any scent, but the cold throw is really good. I didn't like how it burns, so it was dropped pretty quick.

I make paraffin, para-soy and beeswax pillars, 2 and 3-inch diameters. Depending on the recipe I have had the greatest success with flat braid wicks with the paraffin and square braid with the others. LX does well in the paraffin and para-soy blends with a good full consumption most of the way down. I use wick pins, so my LX are the purchased pre-tabbed version. For my flat and square braids I buy raw wick and prime it myself in a 75-25 beeswax/high temp paraffin blend, then attach a tab and thread thru the wick pin hole.

Okay I was taught not to use tabs on my wicks for my pillar candles. So I never do. The reason explained to me has to do with safety. You don't want the candle to burn all the way down to the wick tab as it can be a fire hazard. But rather have the wick fall over as it gets close to the bottom therefore the candle goes out before it can get to the bottom and cause any possible fire damage.

Maybe I am old school but I have not done my pillar candles any other way-- I only use tabs for container type candles, votives, etc.

Just wondering how many of you tab your wicks for pillars?

No tab....pull the wick about 1/2 inch from the bottom and seal the bottom by running it along a hot surface.

We had heard the same thing - that we didn't want the pillar to burn totally to the bottom. Kind of like a safety feature...

I guess I have never seen a tab on the bottom of a pillar I have purchased. Has anyone here? Sure would take a few steps out of the process....