Oh why , oh why isn't there a CD 9 wick!!!

Hey all,

I've been in love with CD wicks for several years and buy them in bulk. Normally the Cd8' and 10's with my 464 wax in the 9 oz hex or double wicked apothecaries . My problem is with some of my bakery style candles in my 16oz apothecaries ( whipped wax and embeds etc) the CDs drown out every so often and the 10's are too deep of a mp and huge flame :embarasse i keep remaking them and moving the embeds , trying different techniques and no go. testing is just so fun huh??lol

Anyway, anyone have a old thread they can post of maybe info on something that would be in between these 2 sizes etc ? I do have lots of wicks i can try and will ( thinking maybe something that dosent self trim) but didn't if anyone knew if there was a wick between these 2sizes more like a 9 ??! I couldn't pull up much with my iPad search. Thanks so much!!

Edited by Marisa

Somebody with more experience will probably answer you soon, but in the mean time: I think the HTP 83 might be like a CD 9, since the HTP and CD wicks are the same wick, except that the CD's are not made in the USA and they burn a bit hotter than the corresponding size in an HTP. The HTP 83 is the corresponding size to the CD 10, according to Alan's chart, but the HTP 83 would burn a bit cooler.

SliverOfWax said she uses HTP's, but that the CD's are good for slipping in between when you need an in-between-size, so the reverse is true too.

Here's a copy of an old post about this topic, but the HTP 126 wicks are in the wrong spot on Alan's chart because they're actually the biggest HTP wick of the ones listed, so the HTP 126 should come after the HTP 1313 and probably matches the CD 20.

"

HTP and CD wicks

For those of you that have wondered if the HTP wicks and CD wicks were similar, here is a posting from the archives from Alan that shows a tested comparison of both of them. Someone was talking about it a short time ago and I thought I had read something on it at one time. What this post indicates is that the CD and HTP wicks are about the same wick, one is manufactured in Germany (CD wick) and the HTP is manufactured in the U.S.

Title:
CD vs. HTP

Post by
Crystal
on
Apr 30th, 2004, 5:24pm
Hi is is safe to say that a CD6 is pretty close to a HTP41 and a CD 8 is close to HTP62? I am under the impression that the burn quality is very close, I am wondering if these would be good subs for each other in the time of need?
;)
TIA

Crystal
Title:
Re: CD vs. HTP

Post by
elizabeth
on
Apr 30th, 2004, 9:18pm
Crystal, Alan posted a response on another thread recently in which he stated that CD & HTP wicks are essentially the same wick. He did extensive burn testing and in side by side comparisons, found there to be no real difference between the two. He did go on to say that HTP wicks are crafted in the USA and for that reason, Peak's decided to carry them over the CDs. I have some of both types of wicks and would love to see a size comparison chart. If I run into one, I'll be sure to post it for ya.

HTH
Title:

Post by
elizabeth
on
Apr 30th, 2004, 9:22pm
Crystal,

Here is the thread :

Title:

Post by
Slow-burn
on
Apr 30th, 2004, 9:40pm
Liz, what size do you use in your jelly jar? An htp 83 works great for me. Don't get a complete melt pool on 1st burn, but do on consectutive burns. Plus the jar stays pretty cool this way. Maybe if we can compare what I have had luck with on htp's and what you have had luck with on cd's we may get somewhere :-/ Although, I am still testing like crazy--can't wait to get that darn basement done!

Edited to add this site, it has helped me with the use of my htp's. But didn't see any cd's?
Title:

Post by
elizabeth
on
Apr 30th, 2004, 9:58pm
heather, it's been awhile since I've made an 8 oz. jelly. I think I used a CD10 last time I made one.
Title:

Post by
Alan
on
May 1st, 2004, 11:50am
Was going to do this yesterday, but I somehow I kept getting interrupted. This is a loose cross-reference.

HTP-31, CD-4

HTP-41, CD-5

HTP-52, CD-6

HTP-62, CD-7

HTP-73, CD-8

HTP-83, CD-10

HTP-93, CD-12

HTP-104, CD-14

HTP-105, CD-16

HTP-126, CD-18

HTP-1212, CD-20

HTP-1313, CD-22

:)

Kerry

Try a CDN 10- in my experience they burn a touch cooler than the CD- whenever I have a scent that a CD 12 is to much wick for a CDN12 is usually the perfect balance

The coating on the wick is more for soy and gives it a similar yet different burn- my experience with HTP and 464 was usually not pretty but that doesn't mean it wont work for you- try them both side by side

Here's a copy of an old post about this topic, but the HTP 126 wicks are in the wrong spot on Alan's chart because they're actually the biggest HTP wick of the ones listed, so the HTP 126 should come after the HTP 1313 and probably matches the CD 20.

"

HTP and CD wicks

For those of you that have wondered if the HTP wicks and CD wicks were similar, here is a posting from the archives from Alan that shows a tested comparison of both of them. Someone was talking about it a short time ago and I thought I had read something on it at one time. What this post indicates is that the CD and HTP wicks are about the same wick, one is manufactured in Germany (CD wick) and the HTP is manufactured in the U.S.

Title:
CD vs. HTP

Post by
Crystal
on
Apr 30th, 2004, 5:24pm
Hi is is safe to say that a CD6 is pretty close to a HTP41 and a CD 8 is close to HTP62? I am under the impression that the burn quality is very close, I am wondering if these would be good subs for each other in the time of need?
;)
TIA

Crystal
Title:

Post by
elizabeth
on
Apr 30th, 2004, 9:18pm
Crystal, Alan posted a response on another thread recently in which he stated that CD & HTP wicks are essentially the same wick. He did extensive burn testing and in side by side comparisons, found there to be no real difference between the two. He did go on to say that HTP wicks are crafted in the USA and for that reason, Peak's decided to carry them over the CDs. I have some of both types of wicks and would love to see a size comparison chart. If I run into one, I'll be sure to post it for ya.

HTH
Title:

Post by
elizabeth
on
Apr 30th, 2004, 9:22pm
Crystal,

Here is the thread :

Title:

Post by
Slow-burn
on
Apr 30th, 2004, 9:40pm
Liz, what size do you use in your jelly jar? An htp 83 works great for me. Don't get a complete melt pool on 1st burn, but do on consectutive burns. Plus the jar stays pretty cool this way. Maybe if we can compare what I have had luck with on htp's and what you have had luck with on cd's we may get somewhere :-/ Although, I am still testing like crazy--can't wait to get that darn basement done!

Edited to add this site, it has helped me with the use of my htp's. But didn't see any cd's?
Title:

Post by
elizabeth
on
Apr 30th, 2004, 9:58pm
heather, it's been awhile since I've made an 8 oz. jelly. I think I used a CD10 last time I made one.
Title:

Post by
Alan
on
May 1st, 2004, 11:50am
Was going to do this yesterday, but I somehow I kept getting interrupted. This is a loose cross-reference.

HTP-31, CD-4

HTP-41, CD-5

HTP-52, CD-6

HTP-62, CD-7

HTP-73, CD-8

HTP-83, CD-10

HTP-93, CD-12

HTP-104, CD-14

HTP-105, CD-16

HTP-126, CD-18

HTP-1212, CD-20

HTP-1313, CD-22

:)

Kerry

This chart is interesting..... When I used 464 a CD10 and HTP105 burned comparable to me- a 83 wouldn't make it for 1 minute.....and for votives where I would use a CD5 - a HTP 41 would always drown out.....

This chart is interesting..... When I used 464 a CD10 and HTP105 burned comparable to me- a 83 wouldn't make it for 1 minute.....and for votives where I would use a CD5 - a HTP 41 would always drown out.....

I agree, found the same to be true.

As far as double wicking an apothecary jar, I tried many wicks and drowning was the main issue. For me the solution was double wicking with ECO-1. Some bakery scents, like Peaks Cinnamon Buns, still kill the wick (clogging) but it is a vast improvement with 4630.

Interesting info here, thank you everyone! What gets me is the majority of chandlers making these " cake in a jar" style candles are only using one wick!!?? Ive always doubled wicked and most likely will continue to do so, but I know single wicking is even more involved . Kudos to them:)

Okay you guys are a dream!!! Per suggestion I tried 2 Csn wicks as I seen they had a size 9 at candle science . Wow !!burning steady ,perfect mp and beautiful throw , I could almost cry! Lol I Just thought those wicks were more for palm but boy did they work in this setting! The 9 seems to fall in between a Cd 8- cd-10. Im So happy ,I spent so long testing this one style and scent thought it was hopeless . I love this forum ;)thank you

P.s Please forgive any typos as I'm doing this on my iPhone and the screen is small! Ha