How's my label?

QTsmum

Be nice! ;) LOL!

I bought 2x4 labels and am going to cut them in half for clamshells. I bought them when I saw them on clearance without realizing they'd be a smidge too big! :rolleyes2

Anyway, what do you think? I drew the vine (with inspiration from my accent chair and help from DS with colouring, LOL!)...

devinesnap.jpg

I figure the middle will be for the scent name.

I could always change the 'Melts & More' to be the turquoise colour and do the scent name black?

I'm thinking I should lose the 'Highly scented wax melts. Once I add the name it'll be busy, eh?

I really wish I could get the DeVine Aroma outlined in black, but I can't find a font like that.

Also, if I do go with this scheme (I love the colours!), what colour should I do the scent names? Usually they would co-ordinate with the scent (IMO) but it'll be really clash-y with some, i believe.

Alternatively, I could make this my name label (with modifying of some sort. Maybe a small blurg including simple directions?) and do a separate scent label...

ETA:

Just playing with some ideas:

What about this:

DevineFIN.jpg

Edited by QTsmum

I think they're perfect! I love them! The only thing I would change is don't put a black rectangle around "Amish Harvest." Maybe make "Amish Harvest" a color, or leave it black.

Oh, and I like "Melts & More" to be in black instead of a color.

Edited by HorsescentS

Thanks for your feedback! :D I was wondering if the big letters were over powering or not! I really would like a font that outlines letters though! LOL! I think it would make it a bit better if I could outline the name, kwim?

Thanks for your feedback! :D I was wondering if the big letters were over powering or not! I really would like a font that outlines letters though! LOL! I think it would make it a bit better if I could outline the name, kwim?

Yes, that would look really good with the outlined letters, but it still looks awesome without the outline. I love the bigger size letters and the corresponding scent color, it's what will catch the customer's eye when they're looking for their favorite scents.

Edited by HorsescentS

I love the color scent name, see now I'm going to have to go change my labels!! I think you have could put just under the Amish Harvest "3 oz wax melts" and then you have room on the bottom for a warning/directions. Let me see if I can upload my label and you can see how I put it.

ETA: I took the wording for my label from warning labels I had purchased. I'm using OL 5030 from Online Labels, it's the same size as the Avery Name Badges. I'm not sure what they have in your area. I am now going to have to go and change the color of the scent!! I'll change these labels 5,000 times before I actually start selling clamshells!!

post-14567-139458504169_thumb.jpg

Edited by FaithfulScenter

How did you turn your wording vertically when you make your labels?

I love the color scent name, see now I'm going to have to go change my labels!! I think you have could put just under the Amish Harvest "3 oz wax melts" and then you have room on the bottom for a warning/directions. Let me see if I can upload my label and you can see how I put it.

ETA: I took the wording for my label from warning labels I had purchased. I'm using OL 5030 from Online Labels, it's the same size as the Avery Name Badges. I'm not sure what they have in your area. I am now going to have to go and change the color of the scent!! I'll change these labels 5,000 times before I actually start selling clamshells!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25101[/ATTACH]

First, I caveat ALL I say as just my thoughts. 26.5 years here at Hallmark corporate just means that I know some stuff about branding, advertising, marketing and sales. You are each MUCH more of an expert when it comes to your customer base, market and who else is participating there along with you and what they are doing and offering. I also understand that a corporate business is not the same as a small business. Please take my comments in that manner and certainly not as directive.

If you prefer to speak privately, PM me and I can even offer an email address so that we can exchange documents and such that cannot be done through PM here.

Copy can be aligned anyway you wish even just through Microsoft Word. I needed my label copy to be vertical, for instance, on my Kraft shipping tags that were tied onto metal baskets with torn muslin. No one could have read them if the copy remained vertical.

The biggest error that I see in packaging is the idea that all of the space needs to be used ("Hey! There is 1/4"-room for another butterfly/flower/heart!"). I'd give a labeled package to a few people and ask them where their eye goes first. Or, show them the package, take it away and have them tell you about it. You will learn a lot!

QT-I would either use black or a color that keyed from colors used in your vine for the scent name. Perhaps you keep the design consistent but have 2 color ways if your scents change, say, Fall/Winter versus Spring/Summer.

You could even play with sizing down your vine and running it horizontally – inserting another and nesting your scent name in between. Just for fun.

I assume your safety/warning information is inside the lid or on the back of your package.

Faithful-I would flip the scent name with your company name. While the company name is important-and important to long time buyers-the scent name should be really obvious. It looks as if you have used 1 font (maybe 2 but if 2, they are really similar). I might have your scent name in another font (but not similar to the one) to help it stand out. Also, it puts all the "business" together-name, contact, safety, etc.

Isn't packaging one of the fun parts of this??

Edited by justajesuschick

QT-I would either use black or a color that keyed from colors used in your vine for the scent name. Perhaps you keep the design consistent but have 2 color ways if your scents change, say, Fall/Winter versus Spring/Summer.

You could even play with sizing down your vine and running it horizontally – inserting another and nesting your scent name in between. Just for fun.

We all have different taste, so I respectfully disagree about the color. I think she can use any color she wants for the scent name so it will pop, and I don't think it clashes. If she keys the color to what she's got in her overall design, I think it's too monotonous and gets lost. Also, I really like the way she has her vine vertical like that. I guess there's no way we'll all agree. I love your tip about her handing her label to people to look at and then taking it away and asking them questions.

I'll definitely play with it and check out what the other suggestions look like.

I do like the idea of having it all in matching colours, (believe me, I'm very colour conscious, lol!) but do think that on a table with 100 clamshells, it'd be frustrating for a customer not to be able to just look and recognize the scent they are looking for quickly. Having kids, (small ones at that) I know how important it is to be able to do things quickly!!!

What do you need on a clamshell for warning? I'm not into wicked candles much yet...

I really want to keep my label as clean and simple as possible. I totally agree with not filling every blank space with a heart or star! I'm going for more of a modern look, and less really is more in this case.

I think I will print some off and stick it to a clamshell and see what it looks like. I'll take a pic and post it for critique! It'd be easier to judge when seeing it on the package!

but do think that on a table with 100 clamshells, it'd be frustrating for a customer not to be able to just look and recognize the scent they are looking for quickly.

Exactly! You only have a second to draw their attention to a scent they like, so they'll at least want to pick it up and sniff. Also, if your tarts are colored, the colored scent name will match the color of the tarts and coordinate that way too.

Agree that we all have different tastes and want different looks. For certain!

I assumed that the wax would be colored and would be on peg or organized by scent as opposed to all being laid out on a table.

My packaging is super simple. I'd venture that most would not like my look at all! Uncolored melts with a distressed kraft label, all black type, 2 fonts. They all look the same. Even still, no one is confused on what scent was in what bag. I kept the labels super clean and simple so scent name was uncluttered and clear. I had my scents and scent categories also clearly labeled on cool Kraft shipping tags with khaki labels with scent name or category on.

Faithful included some great safety copy on her label. I do not use clams so put these on the back of my bags. I researched copy from several sources and wrote my own:

post-14519-139458504483_thumb.jpg

I'd LOVE to see them when you have some all done!

Thank you! Do you mind if I use your label? I love the 'Do not eat" LOL!

Agree that we all have different tastes and want different looks. For certain!

I assumed that the wax would be colored and would be on peg or organized by scent as opposed to all being laid out on a table.

My packaging is super simple. I'd venture that most would not like my look at all! Uncolored melts with a distressed kraft label, all black type, 2 fonts. They all look the same. Even still, no one is confused on what scent was in what bag. I kept the labels super clean and simple so scent name was uncluttered and clear. I had my scents and scent categories also clearly labeled on cool Kraft shipping tags with khaki labels with scent name or category on.

Faithful included some great safety copy on her label. I do not use clams so put these on the back of my bags. I researched copy from several sources and wrote my own:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]25118[/ATTACH]

I'd LOVE to see them when you have some all done!